www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old April 5th, 2015, 19:01   #16
whitedog
Veteran Member

So would the donation level only be in the profile or would it be under the username in each post? I like the profile option, myself.

Yes, being ad-free is such a great part of this site.

Any other options than PP?
Old April 5th, 2015, 19:16   #17
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
So would the donation level only be in the profile or would it be under the username in each post? I like the profile option, myself.

Yes, being ad-free is such a great part of this site.

Any other options than PP?
Where the donation level is to be listed has not yet been determined. It could be in your profile, in your user title, both, or even have the option of being hidden.

From the TDIClub merchandise page: http://tdiclub.com/store/#OtherPayment

Quote:
Forms of Payment:

Paypal is a online service that lets one pay via their PayPal balance or by a credit card. If you do not wish to pay via this means you can do so by sending a cheque or International Money Order (please no Green Postal Money orders that say "Negotiable only in the US and Possessions") to me directly. Send me an email for my postal address.
The payment options above are only for purchasing TDIClub merchandise and sending donations. Payment options for the new membership/subscription system will be announced closer to the launch date.
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:10   #18
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hello,

Quote:
Mixed feelings on this. Is is really donations if you have to donate to improve your experience on the forum? I think not. Then again, the bills have to be paid somehow, especially with all the issues going on with the TDIfests.
Nothing personal... just my thoughts on the topic, regardless of author: I was curious to see what a $0 contributor may lose or not have. So I took a look at my PM box to see where I stand in usage. I have 178 messages stored. I clean frequently. I deleted my TDIPics photos since I've hosted my photos at StealthTDI.com for years. As far as my use of TDIClub server resources are concerned, I consider myself a rather basic user, especially during the past few years when my activities have not been as VW-centric. In short, it appears the plan to implement tier levels will have no impact on basic users. I could use the site for $0 with no loss of [site] "experience." I don't plan to do that. But I could. However, I don't think contributing $100 will "improve [my] experience," either... not with my posting habits (READING, some posting, and few PMs). It's all about supporting the background efforts here.

Regarding the display of "level" on my profile, I have no problems having it there. I don't consider having "Enthusiast" next to or under my name to be too audacious, no more than my current display of "Pre-Forum Veteran," anyway. Perhaps $100/yr is steep for some. But I know there are folks here who've contributed more than that with little or no credit. To some, "Enthusiast" says someone coughed up $100. Some may even take that to mean "this guy is owed something" (or thinks he is). To me, it means "this guy cares about the future of this site." The lack of a level does not indicate the opposite to me. But I'm sure some may harbor elitist thoughts (e.g., an Enthusiast could see a $0 user as a freeloader). Could it lead to discrimination? I think the majority of frequent users here are above that kind of behavior, even if they're not above the thoughts. Time will tell if that becomes a problem. But TDIClub history has shown that our Admins handle with the riff-raff pretty well.

I welcome the change. I'm not sure how much or how often I will contribute. But contributions will be an easy decision in the years I go to TDIFest.

All of that said, I can see how "purchase" may be a better descriptor than "donation" since one is buying a service (more forum capacity) or paying for an activity (TDIFest). Just my $0.02 (which won't go toward a $20 "Friend" fee).

Scott

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 23:09   #19
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Hi Everyone,
A few updates:
1) Input is appreciated. As time progresses we may adjust things to work even better.
2) Donations before the new software is installed will be accepted. I'll convert those to contributions at a later date.
3) Yes, donations are only accepted in Canadian dollars right now and I hope to have that fixed up in the coming week. If you want to do it now, feel free to add 20-25%. The US dollar has risen in the past year and the two currencies no longer at par.
4) Cheques (ok checks for some of you ) and international money orders are accepted. Please contact me directly for this info as I'll send mailing instructions privately.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 23:14   #20
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Maybe I'm seeing this all wrong, but here's my take on it...

Why do people come to TDIClub? This is one of the best technical resources around for TDI's and related tech in my opinion. People come here primarily to learn about something about their TDI's. I've been frequenting other forums over the last year or so for a Duramax project I'm working on and am longing for somewhere like TDIClub in the Duramax world.

Where does this technical information come from? The members on this forum who are willing to take the time to figure things out, document and freely share with the community.

So, if I understand this proposed change correctly, we want to charge the people that contribute the most which is the very thing that draws people to the site in the first place?

Really?

Selfishly, I've put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into the things that I freely share on this site specifically for the good of the TDI community. And now you want me to pay an annual membership fee to continue to do so?

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely backwards?

I know the "bills need to be paid", But I think this could be the beginning of the end for the forum as it is today. Members will either host their own photos which won't result in any revenue to the forum or they just won't contribute at all which won't result in any revenue to the forum.

Those who will support the site financially will likely do so regardless of these "benefits".

I don't have a good solution or better idea other than to be above board with everything (big picture, not details). Do we need $5k, $10k, $20k, $50k to update the software? Do we need $??k/year to maintain web hosting/servers/bandwidth/whatever we need?

Keep a public running tally of what the donations are to date for the year along with a goal (like one of those thermometer things when a church wants to raise money for a trip or something). Make it more obvious that it cost money to run this site and what the consequences are of members not contributing.

Maybe have vendors pay a nominal fee each year to maintain vendor status? That's not sponsorship - same fee for all vendors who use the forum to make money. Just throwing ideas out...

My apologies if this comes off rude or selfish, that's not my intent.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 23:27   #21
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

No you don't have to pay a penny, you can if you like and will get some extras to go with it but you don't have to. Its all in the first post.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 23:41   #22
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

So, how will that raise any more money for the forum?
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 00:38   #23
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

I'm happy to donate but I do see the upload quota as a potential issue moving forward. What if like FUB says you have a historically very active, contributing member who has uploaded lots of images to the photo server and is already over 100MB. Will they no longer be able to upload any pictures if they are unable to donate?
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 14:15   #24
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
I'm happy to donate but I do see the upload quota as a potential issue moving forward. What if like FUB says you have a historically very active, contributing member who has uploaded lots of images to the photo server and is already over 100MB. Will they no longer be able to upload any pictures if they are unable to donate?
They aren't sure how this will affect existing members and how it'll be applied to them, though it's a legitimate concern.

FUB, I get your frustration entirely. I also know that being a prolific user of free image hosting services isn't the best solution. I'm that odd ball who has their own server, against my ISP's TOS for many years and they don't care, and have most of my images hosted there. This also is t a viable option for most either, but one that readily more available as home bandwidth continues to rise. As useful as photos are, a lot of the time this information doesn't need to be shared via photos. I do recall though that myturbodiesel had a similar transformation a couple years ago and for similar reasons I'd guess too.

With all of that said, I still like this method of contribution over other models employed because it has no limit for the end user who needs to find and consume the data, only to those who put it up. This is opposite what most models do and that benefits the community. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain for heavy contributors, but outside of various GTGs and events, there hasn't been a direct means of donating funds to the site and this gives us that mechanism. That's just my two cents.
Old April 12th, 2015, 14:51   #25
meerschm
Veteran Member

Perhaps with the extra money a way will be found to update the photo sharing features.

for a while now, I have been denied any further posts, since it says I am at my quota.

I tried to delete some photos, but it does not seem to matter.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 00:56   #26
VW Derf
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
So, if I understand this proposed change correctly, we want to charge the people that contribute the most which is the very thing that draws people to the site in the first place?
If this is what the feeling is that these changes bring, then there is a communications issues as that is not the intent. This changes are not to restrict the experience for non financial contributions like technical info (which are also very important), but just give an extra bit of thanks for those that contribute financially. Believe it or not while the basic limit of stored PMs is being reduced (you can still download them), the allocation for image uploads is actually being doubled for non contributors as these limits have remained the same for years. This will help out people like meerschm without a financial contribution. Nonetheless, the concerns about photo storage limits (which already exists) is a good one about what to do when people have valuable images to upload and they run out of space.

While many things are already currently set, please keep the constructive comments coming as hopefully the concerns can be addressed and over time there may be opportunities for further improvements.

Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:45   #27
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Although I have not donated in the past, I will now to help keep this site running and commercial (ad) free. I have frequented other sites where you have to pay to contribute to their forums. Not worth it when all you're really trying to find out is what speed of lens do I need to get decent shots of my daughter dancing.

My question is this, and my current assumption may be wrong: If the current support method is a tax deductible donation (my assumption), then will the contribution support fees also be deductible?
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:59   #28
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
My question is this, and my current assumption may be wrong: If the current support method is a tax deductible donation (my assumption), then will the contribution support fees also be deductible?
I am no expert on this, but it is my understanding that donations are only tax deductible (in the USA) if they are made to registered non-profit charities. I seriously doubt if the TDIClub has registered with the appropriate US entity to be legally considered a "deductible" donation. Perhaps some member here is a tax accountant and can be certain about this issue.

Have Fun!

Don
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:09   #29
VW Derf
Administrator

Don is corrected, you need to be a charity to issue tax receipts, which we are not. That means there is no mechanism to issue a tax receipt in Canada or the USA.

Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
Old April 18th, 2015, 09:07   #30
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Thanks. I couldn't remember if this was a nonprofit.