Lifting a B4 Sedan???

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Have done a search and am finding lot's of info on raising the A3 Jetta's and the A4's but not anything on the B4's other than going to the VR6 springs/heavy duty Bilsteins. The A3 Jetta owners are using the Passat stuff to lift their Jetta's.

Anyone point me to a thread or a "How To" on lifting the B4's? I'm tall at 6'4" and nearer to sixty than I ever imagined. A up to 4 inch lift would be great!

I know I can go to 15 inch wheels which I have done on one Passat but need some more lift!

Thanks!

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
BUMP. Although personally I like that lift the neighborhood association would be sending me a citation. Any other ideas as far as springs etc. I wish it were possible to do a lift similar to the A4's - similar to what metalnerd has for the A4's.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, VR6 wagon front coils will lift some, for the rear I would try and find a longer strut option. The wagon rear coils are same for 4 and 6 cylinder engines, the only difference is that the wagon are probably a little stiffer, but I doubt it's very much.

The B3/4 has very long rear struts as it is but they would need to be longer or have some pieces made to make them longer, such as building an adapter for the upper strut mount. As Todd said, be creative!

Steve

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
For something less extreme option that is cheaper...

I raised mine and a friends B4's by putting a piece of metal tube as a spacer in the front strut above the top spring perch. This added height directly and added preload to the spring. I used a piece of square tube with slots cut in it at the bottom of the rear shock as an extender.

For under $20 in steel and a day of wrench time to figure it out, it's not bad. I've been running it lifted for at least 4 years now.

I got 3 inches of lift from this, but there are downsides. There is no droop available in the suspension, so it is a rougher ride. The spring perch on the front strut still limits the tire size.

I contemplated getting coil overs like dano17 did in the linked vortex thread, but there wasn't time, $, or will to do that when I did the mod.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
BUMP. Although personally I like that lift the neighborhood association would be sending me a citation. Any other ideas as far as springs etc. I wish it were possible to do a lift similar to the A4's - similar to what metalnerd has for the A4's.
As much as I don't care for lifted cars, at least to extreme levels, I'm even less thrilled by neighborhood associations enforcing their idea of what's good / bad.

Unless the association has some statutory authority I don't believe their 'citation' will have any weight, neighborhood associations (NA) are not part of the municipal authority unless the City has enacted some piece of legislation making it so, which would a very odd. I can't see a City delegating responsibility for policing something like this to a NA, it would be very hard to make sure that the policing was equitable. Now if you're talking about a HOA that's different.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Glenn, what you mentioned for the rear is what I’ve envisioned for my Rabbits. A simple spacer that bridges the mounting eyes.

Not quite following what you did with the front. The tube is the has the same OD as the spring? The spring bottom is resting on it? If not, it’d simply sit inside the spring...

Are you having issues with positive camber or fouling the axles?

I’ve considered a front body lift, accomplished with a spacer that mounts on top of the strut assembly. Some holes may need to be drilled in the car’s strut towers.

-Todd