Automatic Transmission

theb04

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon
I am looking at a 05 Jetta wagon. It is an automatic... I know there is a very large majority of people who prefer the standard transmission. Just wondering... is there any real issues with the automatic tranny.
I am also looking at a 04 Jetta wagon with a gas engine that has a standard transmission. any insight would help.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
theb04 said:
Just wondering... is there any real issues with the automatic tranny.

No, people here are just making it up to spook prospective buyers :p

Welcome aboard, B4 !!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
The 2005 has the 5 speed automatic - up to now, those transmission have been pretty good. the 99-03 automatic transmissions are very problematic.

You will see better gas mileage out of the manual, and they're more fun to drive also....

Grantxvx

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Greasecar Kit + FPHE
One vote for no problems, one vote for lots of problems.

Any more votes for or against, or more information on why automatic transmissions for the '99-'03 may be problematic?

I'm looking to buy a 2002 TDI Jetta Wagon but was told that the transmissions go at around 100k. Has anyone else heard that this is likely to happen?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Grantxvx said:
I'm looking to buy a 2002 TDI Jetta Wagon but was told that the transmissions go at around 100k. Has anyone else heard that this is likely to happen?
Search on the term "O1M" and you'll quickly alter your target car! Welcome aboard, Grant!

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Another vote for NO 99-03 autos.

That receipt is interesting. For $200 LESS I'm having the 5-speed swap done with an upgraded 5th gear, Peloquin LSD, all labor, DG short shifter, and a DC Stage III clutch.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02DslPwr said:
For $200 LESS I'm having the 5-speed swap done with an upgraded 5th gear, Peloquin LSD, all labor, DG short shifter, and a DC Stage III clutch.
A-men, bro-tha. A-men :)

Here's the reality: If you can't handle the MANual transmission, you'll be well-served to seek something other than a VW. I can't simplify it beyond that :cool:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
theb04 said:
I am looking at a 05 Jetta wagon. It is an automatic... I know there is a very large majority of people who prefer the standard transmission. Just wondering... is there any real issues with the automatic tranny.
I am also looking at a 04 Jetta wagon with a gas engine that has a standard transmission. any insight would help.

Welcome to the club. The "search" key is your friend:) . Check out:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240333

In a nutshell, the cost factor and longevity/reliability factor of any automatic/hybrid tranny is the major issue (i.e. 01m8u2, Triptronic or DSG).

theb04

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon
Here's the reality: If you can't handle the MANual transmission, you'll be well-served to seek something other than a VW.
It has nothing to do with being able to "handle" a manual transmission:mad:
This car has come available I can get a good price on it. Just thought I would inquire about the quirks of the Auto Tranny in the tdi. So far I've gotten no good info on why the auto's are ****, just people telling me they are.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
How about a $3200 rebuild for a transaxle bearing all because some dufus didn't fill the fluid properly.Cost of bearing was about $100

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2004+ cars with the Jatco 09A 5 speed autobox are pretty decent, I have not run into any troubles with those. Far FAR better than the 01M 4 speed box.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
yatzee said:
and they're more fun to drive also....
Yes! Because I LOVE to sit in traffic for 40 mins a day one way, pushing the clutch in and letting it out, without ever actually shifting the gears. Driving a manual is totally awesome! I can now lift my entire car with only my left leg! Driving a manual is great! F-That!

oilhammer

TDI
Hrm, I actually drive about 1 hour in that traffic every day....for 20 years...with a manual. :eek:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Grantxvx said:
One vote for no problems, one vote for lots of problems.

Any more votes for or against, or more information on why automatic transmissions for the '99-'03 may be problematic?

I think that Oilhammer (who I think everyone would agree has about the most experience with these) has estimated that 01M failures occur between 130-160k miles. There are some people here that have over 100k and over 200k with their 01M auto trans. (I have 106K on mine, which isn't much, neither is 200k really, IMO)

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
oilhammer said:
Hrm, I actually drive about 1 hour in that traffic every day....for 20 years...with a manual. :eek:
Yes, but, would you truly consider that to be...FUN? Or, is there ANYTHING else that you'd rather be doing? Or for that matter, IF (and now I'm REALLY stretching) IF there was an auto trans that was equally reliable, equally cost effective to maintain, and got equal economy, (I know, I know, it's a hypothetical question) would you STILL drive your manual in traffic every day simply because you thought it was more fun?

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, I do think it is fun, and yes I would still rather drive a manual. Even if the autobox was just as durable and efficient, I do not like the lack of control of the car, especially in snowy conditions, uphills, coasting, slowing down, etc.

And yes, I would gladly have paid MORE to get a proper manual in my B5. But I did not have the option.

But the OP was asking about the 09A Jatco box, and IMHO they are pretty good when bolted to the BEW engine. Much better driveability than the ALH/01M combo, and certainly better durability. I would not hesitate to own one if that car fit the bill for what I was after.

For that matter, I would not hesitate to own an 01M car, because I know enough to know it is a $3800 liability taking my 'fun' away, and while driving my stick shift car every day IS fun, swapping a failed slushbox out of my car would most certainly NOT be fun. :cool:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
theb04 said:
So to answer your question with my thoughts: (I know, somebody out there is cringing right now lol)

Yes, it is very popular to hate the automatic transmission here. This is due to the probably well earned bad rap that the VW auto's have earned over the years.

For the record, my ex-wife now has an 04 Jetta Wagon GL with auto trans and 2.0 L gas engine that she absolutely loves. It has been moderately trouble free and she claims to get abut 24 mpg in the city with it. (The wagons are built in germany and they are a much higher quality that the crap that comes out of mexico.)

Yes there are real issues with the earlier (pre 04) automatic transmissions.

Personally, I would not consider owning an A5 (2004.5 and later) VW due to the fact that they are all bigger, heavier, and get less fuel economy, especially in the TDI's.

I would suggest sticking with the A4 platform and avoid the automatic transmissions that are in the 2003 and earlier models.

BTW how much are they asking for the gasser wagon?

Edited to change A4 to A5 typo.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
oilhammer said:
For that matter, I would not hesitate to own an 01M car,
Wait a minute, did you typo that? You're saying you WOULD own an 01M, did you mean you WOULD NOT?

oilhammer said:
because I know enough to know it is a $3800 liability
That's how I've come to see my car as well. Although, I wouldn't own a 5 spd. When the time comes, and it WILL come, I'll just take the hit and buy another 01M.

oilhammer said:
swapping a failed slushbox out of my car would most certainly NOT be fun. :cool:
agreed. It's going to suck.

So for the record, I like my 01M, for now lol.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
120-150k miles you start to lose either reverse or second. It will start shifting hard and thats the start of the failures. It's a $5000 repair job (see the above photo posted).

Is that enough or do you want DETAILS of what fails? It's not a simple fix, the simple fix is to AVOID such a PITA.

ncjdivadancer

TDI
01' Jetta
FL2AK-tdi said:
Yes! Because I LOVE to sit in traffic for 40 mins a day one way, pushing the clutch in and letting it out, without ever actually shifting the gears. Driving a manual is totally awesome! I can now lift my entire car with only my left leg! Driving a manual is great! F-That!
my feelings exactly. switching from my manual cabrio to auto jetta was such a sigh of relief.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
There is a simple solution to this issue you keep talking about:

Change your commute times.

Drop kids off at school earlier, get to work earlier, leave earlier (or later). There are very few jobs these days where you can't at least show up an hour earlier and at least sit in the building until your shift starts. But then, I worked 2 jobs and went to college at the same time - time management is at the forefront of how I operate. Everything runs on a schedule.

---
Went to get a sofa the other day out of VA. Ended up waiting for a half hour for the owners mother to get to the house because of VA traffic on I-95. I got the sofa, used my GPS-enabled phone to find a local coffee shop, got a cup of joe and waited a half hour, smooth sailing down I-95 to home.... I saw one hiccup at a single interchage and that was the only time I hit "stop and go" for 200mi....

It's easier to complain than it is to realize and utilize the solutions. even I am bad about that.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Hmmm, hang out outside my work for an hour tin zero degree weather to avoid traffic? Ummm, no thanks.

(Although, admittedly, Anchorage has no traffic, I was referring to back home in Tampa,)

Oh wait...Hmmm, hang out outside my work for an hour in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity to avoid traffic? Ummm, no thanks.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Again, easier to make excuses.

Go to a bookstore and read a book. Surely you've got forums you could be wasting away on with your laptop at a coffee shop/cybercafe.

"excuses, excuses"

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
kcfoxie said:

Go to a bookstore and read a book. Surely you've got forums you could be wasting away on with your laptop at a coffee shop/cybercafe.

"excuses, excuses"
LOL, if you're suggesting that i spend MORE time on tdiclub, I think that the other members here will start hating you like they hate me lol.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
kcfoxie said:

"excuses, excuses"
It may be easy to make "excuses" but it's even easier to tell others how to live their lives as if they aren't doing it right, IYNSHO.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
UFO said:
It may be easy to make "excuses" but it's even easier to tell others how to live their lives as if they aren't doing it right, IYNSHO.
Well said.

Last edited: