2014 Jetta TDI Starting issue

justrand14

TDI
Black 2014 Jetta TDI Premium
Hey guys big time tdi noob here. I recently purchased a 2014 TDI Jetta everything was all good in the beginning about a month after the purchase I started having issues starting the car. This is a push to start model. So when I go to start the car I push the button once to turn on all accessories and glow plugs ect. then i push the button the second time to start it and it cranks starts and dies, Then if you try to start again right away it just cranks and does not turn over. If I wait about 30 seconds after the initial start it will crank for a second or 2 and then fire right up. Runs fine once it starts Changed the fuel filter a couple days ago this did not help checked battery voltage and it was fine 12.7 when off and 13.7 to 13.9 while running. Could this be a starter issue, glow plugs, HPFP, has anyone experienced this?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Try just putting your foot on the brake and pushing the button to start it. No need to do the double button push you are doing. My old 2012 Passat was foot on the brake and push and release. My new 2015 Beetle is foot on the brake and push and hold till it starts. Which is yours?

By the way cranking and turning over are the same thing. If the engine is turning over (moving) that is one thing. Actually starting is another. You kind of mixed that up in your post.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it cranks normally, it isn't the starter.

If you have no DTCs for the glow system, it isn't the glow system. I would verify you have no DTCs. Could be loss of fuel prime, for some reason. There are two electric fuel pumps.

justrand14

TDI
I will try just starting on first button push. When i get back home. The check engine light is not on is it possible to have DTC's without it on?

justrand14

TDI
Lightflyer it did not start as you described it ran and shut back off and back to the same procedure to start. Oilhammer is there an easy way to see if its losing prime that sounds like the most logical thing

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Lightflyer it did not start as you described it ran and shut back off and back to the same procedure to start. Oilhammer is there an easy way to see if its losing prime that sounds like the most logical thing
Should be a clear line from the filter(at least mine has one) Just look at it and see if there is fuel in the line. A lot of bubbles is bad but one isn't.

justrand14

TDI
I know its been a long time since this post but I wanted to let everyone know I did get this fixed the end of June 2019 it was the timing it was off by a tiny little bit had to be from when the water pump was changed.

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
Hello, Just read this thread and am having the same or a similar issue with our 2014 JSW. I am wondering how you determined the timing being off? did you correct yourself? via dealer or independent mechanic. I do most of my own work other than warranty. and have Ross tech VCDS but have never looked at timing with it. We have 5 TDI's 2011 through 2015 so I guess I need to learn. any info you could share would be appreciated.
Thx, Mike