www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 11th, 2019, 04:25   #1
norel

Fuel Economy: 44.4ish
Default Accidental traction control mk4

After swapping the drivetrain/wiring from my daily (03 alh 5 speed) ,to an 04 1.8t auto car, I suddenly have some form of traction control. I'm guessing this is because I used the abs controller from the 04 car. Obviously the 03 harness had wiring in place to make the traction control light come on. (I completely swapped body/engine harness) Will it have wiring in place to add switch to turn it off? Would the 04 have had a switch for this purpose? Where would it be in the car? Traction control works, I just dont like it. Hoping I dont need to swap brake controllers to disable it while keeping abs. Thanks.
norel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 05:28   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

On the dash I believe, the switch that you're not used to next to the hazard button.
I have the same thing on mine after my swap into a 1.8t, however, I don't think mine works. Just antilock and that light comes on, however, my transmission doesn't have it so...

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi

Last edited by eddieleephd; February 11th, 2019 at 05:31.
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 21:59   #3
norel

I guess I'll pull out what's left of the wire harness from the 1.8t car and look for the switch and wiring, and dig out the Bentley. Whatever it is, ASR or ESP, it seems like it cuts throttle during high rpm wheelspin. It also seems to work through all gears at any speed, it's been slippery enough to spin new hakkas in fifth around here lately...
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:57   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

ASR (anti-slip-regulation) is traction control, ESP (electronic-stability-program) is a more complex system to keep the car under control and isn't JUST traction control. ESP requires a steering angle sensor and has an extra solenoid or sensor on the ABS assembly.

I do not recall which years and which models had what as standard or optional, but in either case there would be a button on the dash to turn it off.
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:17   #5
norel

Yeah, I dont think it could be esp, I didn't use enough of the original car to include a yaw sensor. I'm guessing that my abs system from auto car had edl/asr, and that's what I'm dealing with. It looks like I have to incorporate a switch or swap out the abs pump. From what I've read it doesn't look like I can recode with vcds. I guess the car doesn't really need to drive to "burnout city" anyway.
Old February 12th, 2019, 16:28   #6
norel

Found an asr button. Separated out wires from loom. Two tone blue wire looks like illumination for buttons , joins several others in dash, brown wire to ground junction in dash. Black wire joins several other black wires at back of fuse box, guessing abs fuse? Grey wire with thin black line goes to abs pump. I pinned it out and took a picture, just not sure how pins are numbered. I'll have to consult the Bentley, looks pretty straightforward, but its going to be pretty hard to add a pin with the transmission still in the car. Pretty tight in there.
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:49   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I think most people would envy your newfound feature leftover from the 1.8t car. And with the button installed, you can turn it off if you want to.

ASR works pretty good.
Old Yesterday, 06:39   #8
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

There's discussion of the wiring in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37354

You can get to the plug on the ABS module with the trans still in place, it's not too bad.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote