www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old February 6th, 2019, 07:03   #1
ejoskf

Default Over-fueling engine 1.9 TDI PD 130

Hey

I am new to TDI world, I've got 2004 Passat my engine seems to be running rich. It's winter but fuel economy is poor, can smell unburned fuel after engine warmed up, on acceleration there is a smoke behind me. Also on start up there is puff of blue-ish smoke but doesn't look like and oil. I've cleaned EGR, inlet manifold and done full service as well as new fuel filter and thermostat with coolant change. Fuel efficient is 40mpg mixed driving best 50 motorway (imperial units) any ideas?
Thank you

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
ejoskf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:52   #2
BlueMk4Golf

TDI(s): 1.9TDI

May be the pump is serving more fuel than it should. Im not to sure about what could be your problem. Hit up your local mechanic and see if he has any solutions

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
BlueMk4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 09:10   #3
ejoskf

Thank you. I've attached some images in this post

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Old February 12th, 2019, 13:12   #4
CasaEd

TDI(s): VW Passat B4

When you changed the oil was it the correct amount that came out and also did you smell the oil to see if it had a diesel smell ? The injector readings look fine.
The only thing that springs to my mind is that the injector seals may be leaking,

probably not all of them because that usually raises the oil level pretty quickly.
Blue smoke is oil burning, maybe worn valve stem oil seals, or worn turbo.
how many miles does the engine have on it ?
CasaEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 07:33   #5
ejoskf

Thanks. I've just hit 85k I know very low for 15y old car. Turbo I think seals are failing. I've had it apart when doing tensioner and than again 2 weeks later and about 1-2 table spoons of oil came out. Could that cause that puff of smoke on startup?

Thanks