Best Way to Wash Car?

thomamon

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
OK, I know it sounds like a stupid question and it is. But I'm coming from a car that was 12 years old...

My new car is getting polon on it already and I want to wash it. The major problem is I live in an apartment and don't have access to a hose or anything to do it myself.

I am scared to bring it to a car wash. But I was wondering about those self car washes where you use the hose type thing to squirt it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How about the touchless car washes. The self serve ones are fine too, but you are better off using your own soap and hand scrubby thing since the brushes there are notorious for gathering rocks and twigs and small animals.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Bring it to a touch less car wash in between real wash/ detail jobs. Those brushes in the coin ops will scratch your paint to hell ....

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Get a super-plush wash mitt from Autozone.....and a bottle of Meguiers Gold Class liquid wax -or your favorite...BUT NOT A "CLEANER" wax.....that's for neglected cars of lower value.....

I would get that wax on there asap.

Use the pay-n-spray place:
"Wash it" with high pressure soap, soak your mitt with the soap too. Run the (4-minute?) meter out and leave it dripping and soapy. Wipe with mitt, starting top to bottom. (So you don't take lower panel grit up to the top and scratch it; wheels done last, etc. Mind grit in the mitt, rinse as needed)

Put more bucks in the meter, rinse everything on the soap setting, then regular rinse, then two minutes of "spot-free" rinse. If you are going to immediately wax the car, skip the spot-free.

Drive as little as possible to a cool shady place to wax it. First wax should be intensive, ANY PAINTED METAL YOU CAN FIND ON THE CAR. It's laborious, you MUST get off any wax you put on! After complete waxing, repeat waxing the car, and you can relax the standard a little as far as waxing every square millimeter of paint you can find. Use light find any missed spots.

However, doing this and repeating evey 6 months will allow you simply spray the car for couple bucks without any wiping more than half the time. It's my method for keeping it looking good, but easily and cheaply. I even wax the windows. The rain visibility is worth it!

Avoid non-touchless automatic washes. Above is the best way to clean with least damage.

Also, rearding your Fuelly from another one of your threads:

NOW is the time to fix it- start over if you have to, set it to "miles since last fuel-up" and enter the 89 you had on the odometer at the time. Calling it full at zero miles is as close to accurate as non-scientifically possible. So 3 whatever gallons at 89 miles- next tank 500 miles for 13 gallons for example.....THIS WAY adding miles driven at a fuel up should equal your odometer. ;)

Brewmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GolF R : Oryx White
Touchless drive-thru's are okay for a damage-free wash but don't do the best job. Great for a quick wash or two in between hand-washes.

The drive up places where you wash it yourself with the pressure wand are good, but you should have a few pointers on how to do it.

-NEVER use their foaming brush! They're full of dirt particles and scratch the paint.

-Pressure wash the car off from the top down to rinse the dirt and grime away, no matter how microscopic it is there will be abrasive dust on the car so rinse it away before you go scrubbing or rubbing on anything.

-I take my own bucket, soap and wash mitt/chamois with me. Use the wand or tap to fill the bucket with water, add soap and hand wash the car.

-Fire up the pressure wand again to give it a good rinse. Chamois off the remaining water if you can.

thomamon

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Also, rearding your Fuelly from another one of your threads:

NOW is the time to fix it- start over if you have to, set it to "miles since last fuel-up" and enter the 89 you had on the odometer at the time. Calling it full at zero miles is as close to accurate as non-scientifically possible. So 3 whatever gallons at 89 miles- next tank 500 miles for 13 gallons for example.....THIS WAY adding miles driven at a fuel up should equal your odometer. ;)
I do not have an option "Miles since last fill up" on my Fuelly. I do not get it :(

EDIT: Fixed it! I had it set to enter the odometer reading and not miles since last fill up. Should be good for the future now! Does it matter that I Know they filled it up with about 17 miles on it?

Thanks for the tips on the car washing too. I will definitely do that. I hate waxing, wish there was a professional place to take it too, lol. They said they waxed it at the dealer ship, wonder how good it is. Maybe I'll just take it to my dad's house and do it there :)

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
FYI, 'Touchless car washes' are the ones that DO NOT have mechanized brushes, rotating or wig-wag.

We have some very good ones in my area, when supplemented with a good hand wax job twice a year results in a quite acceptable looking car.

Never buy a black car unless your hobby is cleaning and waxing it!! YMMV of course.

Bill

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Thomamon,

If you get coupons in the mail keep an eye out for detailing places. I have one near my house that has coupons all the time: $8 for a full wash/vacuum etc. They do an excellent job when I am feeling super lazy.
Once your car is washed drive it straight home. Use something like Meguiars Quick Detailer and a new microfiber to remove any water marks etc. Then wax 'er up. I 2nd Meguiars Gold Class, smells nice too. Buy a big pack of microfibers at Costco and only use them once (or make sure you wash them GOOD before re-using).

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Touchless drive-thru's are okay for a damage-free wash but don't do the best job.
That's an understatement. I've been to a few and they're not much better than leaving your car outside in the rain. I'll never go back to one.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Thomamon,

If you get coupons in the mail keep an eye out for detailing places. I have one near my house that has coupons all the time: $8 for a full wash/vacuum etc. They do an excellent job when I am feeling super lazy.
Once your car is washed drive it straight home. Use something like Meguiars Quick Detailer and a new microfiber to remove any water marks etc. Then wax 'er up. I 2nd Meguiars Gold Class, smells nice too. Buy a big pack of microfibers at Costco and only use them once (or make sure you wash them GOOD before re-using).
To piggy back off that post, check Groupon and Living Social for detailing deals.

CbusTDI

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG Prem Nav; Stainless Tips
Very important: use MICRO FIBER towels for washing and drying, waxing, and removing wax/sealants from your beautiful new car. Even though it has a super hard clear coat, You will be rewarded for many years to come. So that means throwing out all your old bath towels or shop towels ASAP. Over time they will ruin your clear coat finish.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Here is what I do, and I detail cars as a hobby. When I can't use my own hose, I go to a do-it yourself car wash. I use the spray to rinse the car. No soap, just water. I then use a wash mitt and a product called Optimum no-rinse mixed in a bucket of water to was the car. (BTW, ONR is the best window cleaner I have ever found.) Dry with terry cloth towels or towels made specifically to dry cars. The whole process will take less than 30 minutes from the time you start spraying, and your car will be clean.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Here is what I do, and I detail cars as a hobby. When I can't use my own hose, I go to a do-it yourself car wash. I use the spray to rinse the car. No soap, just water. I then use a wash mitt and a product called Optimum no-rinse mixed in a bucket of water to was the car. (BTW, ONR is the best window cleaner I have ever found.) Dry with terry cloth towels or towels made specifically to dry cars. The whole process will take less than 30 minutes from the time you start spraying, and your car will be clean.
Bringing your own bucket is the best solution if you dont have a private driveway. Just be sure that you can do as some places indicate you cannot use buckets.

(hehe...imagine being banned from a car wash)

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
I've never seen it in store over here so always order online. Might be different over there. It's more expensive then most other spray waxes but a little goes a long way.

thomamon

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I ordered the suggested optimum products this past Friday! I can't wait to get it.

I have a stain on my roof I can't seem to get rid of. Most of it came off but there is a ring around the outside of it.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
FYI, 'Touchless car washes' are the ones that DO NOT have mechanized brushes, rotating or wig-wag.

We have some very good ones in my area, when supplemented with a good hand wax job twice a year results in a quite acceptable looking car.

Never buy a black car unless your hobby is cleaning and waxing it!! YMMV of course.

Bill
but they look so good when they are clean :D:D:D just keeping them clean is a pain in the a$$ and yes I have a black car 2012 Jetta TDI Premium

thomamon

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Got my Wash and No Rinse along with the Spray wax yesterday. I could actually do this without a hose in front of my place, couldn't I since you don't need a hose to rinse. I could just fill the bucket up inside and bring it out.

Correct?

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Very important: use MICRO FIBER towels for washing and drying, waxing, and removing wax/sealants from your beautiful new car. Even though it has a super hard clear coat, You will be rewarded for many years to come. So that means throwing out all your old bath towels or shop towels ASAP. Over time they will ruin your clear coat finish.
So you fell for the marketing spin too. :)

What scratches the finish is not the cloth you use to clean your car's finish.
The finish is much harder than any cloth.

What scratches it is the dirt particles that get pushed around, and even embedded in their fabric, with the wash cloths.

Best is to spray as much surface dirt off as possible, then use a liberal amount of soapy water and a clean cloth to lightly wipe the paint surface free of whatever grit remains. A good wax helps reduce the abrasion caused by surface grit. Applications of wax at least every 3 -4 months helps maintain the protective surface.

Gary
:) :)

Claydon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Costco has a great auto car wash and they charge 7.99. Does a helluva job. After I pull out I use meguiars spray on quick detailer and a microfiber towel to wipe down water spots etc. I put two coats if meguiars wax on, maaaaaaaan did that bring out the deep hue of the blue on my vw.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Its actually very simple TBH

Purchase the required items (depends on how much you want to spend on this)

Get a bucket with a lid (something like this http://www.superiorcarcare.net/pinn...campaign=CSE&gclid=CPPB066MlbgCFRJo7AodpAwALg ...was just the first that came up in searching, just to give an idea.

At your house...prep your wash bucket w/ soap, put in your wash cloth and put the lid on. Then go to a coin wash place, spray it down, wash your car, spray it down and dry it there. Touchless car washes are nice when I know my car is extremely dirty and I do not have time to wash it myself, but the quality of the wash is subpar at best, and clearly not worth the $8.00-$10.00

Just my thoughts....I did this when I lived in an apartment

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Its actually very simple TBH

Purchase the required items (depends on how much you want to spend on this)

Get a bucket with a lid (something like this http://www.superiorcarcare.net/pinn...campaign=CSE&gclid=CPPB066MlbgCFRJo7AodpAwALg ...was just the first that came up in searching, just to give an idea.

At your house...prep your wash bucket w/ soap, put in your wash cloth and put the lid on. Then go to a coin wash place, spray it down, wash your car, spray it down and dry it there. Touchless car washes are nice when I know my car is extremely dirty and I do not have time to wash it myself, but the quality of the wash is subpar at best, and clearly not worth the $8.00-$10.00

Just my thoughts....I did this when I lived in an apartment
agree...don't WASTE your ten bucks on a touchless.....unless you need a car wash right now and have to get somewhere.....spend the 10 bucks on good products and a good bucket and and use the high pressure spray places.....watch the pressure near the paint...these places are powerful....if you are really ambitious....wash...dry...clay bar....wax then wax again.....clay bar is a magical tool if used properly....