HID retrofit complete!

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Well I finally finished retrofitting a set of Hella E55 bi-xenons into my Golf. Overall it went good but took me almost three days. I took some pics but can't post tonight...probably tomorrow.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
When you get the pics up can you also post all of the parts you used and where you sourced them from?

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
It might be easier if I just put all the pics in a PDF. Can anyone tell me how to upload a PDF on here?
EDIT: OK I made a PDF of the retrofit. Is there any way to post it on here?

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I don't know how to post downloadable links of .pdf's. I know photobucket is a cheap, free way that I post pictures here though.

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
The projectors, bulbs, replica lenses, and AMP-D2S cables I got from Matt at the Retrofit Source.
He was awesome to deal with and I would definitely recommend him.
The ballasts I got from a seller on Ebay I think it was SunStarHID or something similar. Basically any pnp kit will work, but I wouldn't recommend using the bulbs that come with the kit. Geniune Phillips bulbs are much better.
The rest of the stuff I used was just common hardware store stuff.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Any reason you went with the Hella E-55 Bi-xenons over the infiniti FX Bi-xenons?

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
At the time I bought the projectors I was just looking for a good deal, and the E55's seemed like one. After I started doing research I did regret not getting FX's. If I was going to do it again, I definitely would spend the extra to get a better set, although I still don't regret the E55's. They have one of the best high beams out there.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I'm going to remove that post, because I didn't handle that very tactfully. I'll leave it up to everyone who frequents HIDPlanet to make their own opinions without my influence. My apologies to the OP AND to Matt for my comments.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
TDICADDGUY said:
Probably because they're more better. ;)
I'd like some more better lights. I thought about OEM for about 300 milliseconds so looks like I'll have to retro myself. Maybe I can find some used Golf GTI lights that already come with fogs and work those up so I can just pop and swap when I'm ready. When I do, I think I'll take the OP's advice and spring for a little better projectors (although I'm sure his E55's blow my OEM pos lights away LOL).

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
great how-to. i think i will just pop a good set into my depo blackout housings.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
If I could fit Porsche projectors, TLs shouldn't be an issue. The problem with TLs is that they're fairly tall.I have a set that was to go on my wifes Yaris... But haven't yet... LOL

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Keggo- Your porsche projectors are bixenon as well right? Here's a question; are there any dual projector setups to fit in Golf housings that work well? It's just "odd" to use bixenon's in one projector housing and then have an old school halogen high beam next to it. Maybe that's just me though.

In other words, could we mod the high beam on the Golf for something better than what it is...in ADDITION to the bixenon high beam? I've spent a little time (admittedly very little) reading over at HIDforums. I don't really want to spend a thousand hours reading just so I can make the best HID's for my car. I don't mind spending that much reading here as it allows me way more knowledge over all aspects of the vehicle, not just the headlights.

Last edited:

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
You could probably put some SC430 low beams in the stock high beam spot. The SC430s are only a low beam. For highs, on your Golf, I'd use a G35/FX35 projector which is a bi-xenon. Those two are relatively small projectors and have good performance. That's just my opinion. I'm really considering a Golf front end swap just because I like the way the lights are set up better.

- Anyone want to trade a Jetta front end for a Golf front end? hahahaha

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dumb question. If you are running bi-xenons in the low beam location and do not bother to fit an HID light into the high beams, how does the bi-xenon light know when to trigger its own high beam?

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Lex4TDI4Life, not sure I totally understand the question but I'll give it a shot.
A bi-xenon projector only has one bulb. It has a moveable shield operated by a solenoid. When the solenoid is powered up, it pulls the shield out of the way, thus raising the cutoff and enabling high beams. All you have to do it hook it up is connect the solenoid to the wires going to your existing high beam bulb so that when high beams are turned on, the solenoid gets energized and moves the shield. You don't need to have anything fitted into where the stock high beams were, you just need to tap into the existing wiring.
Make any sense?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Makes mucho sense. Thanks!

If I understand correctly, then your high beam switch operates both the solenoid as well as your regular high beam bulb....or is the old high beam just there for show?
robhegedus said:
Lex4TDI4Life, not sure I totally understand the question but I'll give it a shot.
A bi-xenon projector only has one bulb. It has a moveable shield operated by a solenoid. When the solenoid is powered up, it pulls the shield out of the way, thus raising the cutoff and enabling high beams. All you have to do it hook it up is connect the solenoid to the wires going to your existing high beam bulb so that when high beams are turned on, the solenoid gets energized and moves the shield. You don't need to have anything fitted into where the stock high beams were, you just need to tap into the existing wiring.
Make any sense?