TDIFest 2009

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
BEN721364 said:
If there are driving events as part of the program, some of the nicest and most readily available race courses are not in metro areas.
At TDIFest OH8, the driving event in question was a timed rally, obeying all speed limits, on back roads. (Back roads that I would've loved to hit in the Miata, but I never got a chance. :eek:)

In previous years, there have been fuel economy competitions.

This isn't Waterfest, with 1/4 mile runs. ;) (Although, autocrosses have been done before.)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Of course, a limited fuel race could be interesting.

Whoever completes the most laps in a given time with one gallon of fuel... but, getting the fuel that's already in the tank out of the car would be the hard part.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
BEN721364 said:
Some would say that the D C metropolitan area fits your description, "Sometimes the term "densly populated area" seems to mean that an area is overpopulated with dense people." :)
No, not Dallas. The 2009 TDIFest is going to be in Dulles!:D
Not to worry, I understood from the start that you'd had enough of 'foggy bottom'.
But it took 28 years? Slow learner or was there some final straw?

The whole purpose of the TDIFest is a fund raiser to help defray the out-of-pocket site hosting and costs of the one man operation called TDIClub Online LLC.
Fest attendance in past years has been in the 100~200 range.
We're a small group of skinflints that buy diesel cars. We haven't the money ourselves nor sold our integrity to deep pocket sponsors to front track rental fees or insurance riders for such.
Vendors at the TDIFest are typically small sole-proprietor to perhaps 10 employee size concerns. Most of all are on first name basis with their customers.
Some attendees haven't the vacation time to drive cross country to attend, so some do fly in,occasionally from overseas.
The main choice of location for the TDIFest is where the volunteers that won the bid to put on these events choose to live. Having a core group in proximity to each other and local knowledge of venues and attractions by necessity requires a critical mass (I won't call it a 'density') of TDI owners.

Last edited:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Lug_Nut said:
No, not Dallas. The 2009 TDIFest is going to be in Dulles!:D
Not to worry, I understood from the start that you'd had enough of 'foggy bottom'.
But it took 28 years? Slow learner or was there some final straw?

The whole purpose of the TDIFest is a fund raiser to help defray the out-of-pocket site hosting and costs of the one man operation called TDIClub Online LLC.
Fest attendance in past years has been in the 100~200 range.
We're a small group of skinflints that buy diesel cars. We haven't the money ourselves nor sold our integrity to deep pocket sponsors to front track rental fees or insurance riders for such.
Vendors at the TDIFest are typically small sole-proprietor to perhaps 10 employee size concerns. Most of all are on first name basis with their customers.
Some attendees haven't the vacation time to drive cross country to attend, so some do fly in,occasionally from overseas.
The main choice of location for the TDIFest is where the volunteers that won the bid to put on these events choose to live. Having a core group in proximity to each other and local knowledge of venues and attractions by necessity requires a critical mass (I won't call it a 'density') of TDI owners.
Slow learner sums it up! :D I liked the place in the beginning bu ttraffic, politics, etc. got the best of me over time.

I do appreciate the explanation of TDIFest and look forward to attending in the future.

mikes tdi

TDI
2005 passat sedan tdi
it should read 2009 tdi fest at dulles,virginia.
wouldnt give dc the credit.
any out of towners or members flying in from other countries
can be picked up right here at the dulles airport.
theres also the smithsonian air museum right here in dulles.last time i was there it was free admission but $12 for parking! a good time to see how many people fit into a vw.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah, Dulles, DC, whatever. ;) It's close enough. :)

The hotel has a free shuttle from the airport if anyone is flying in. And the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum is FANTASTIC!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
VeeDubTDI said:
And the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum is FANTASTIC!
Indeed.

(I think I had those pics, or at least a selection of them, on my server before, but I decided to upload the whole damn thing. 127 pictures. :eek:)

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Please in Virginia and Maryland don't say to out of towners they are from Springfield, VA or Silver Spring MD they all say DC so to give you the nearest largest City. Look even the Washington Redskins have no part of DC as the training camp is in VA and the games are played in MD but we still call them the Wash. Redskins.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, if you want to pick nits, it's technically TDIFest2009 -- Dulles, VA.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
va_reman said:
Please in Virginia and Maryland don't say to out of towners they are from Springfield, VA or Silver Spring MD they all say DC so to give you the nearest largest City. Look even the Washington Redskins have no part of DC as the training camp is in VA and the games are played in MD but we still call them the Wash. Redskins.
Close but only the stub of a cigar for you. When I lived there, we identified ourselves as Northern Virginians. Of course Northern Virginia isn't what it used to be and makes little difference today. <g>

We had other names for the Redskins too! :)

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Yes, I will say many Northern VAers wish from Fredericksburg north would be North Virginia and the South well... the south would not want that then they would not have two dimes to rub together, if you are a resident of DC and you need to travel abroad its Dulles or BWI. N. VA compliments DC very well. TDIfest2009 DC - we can make a run thru DC and make our selves known like so many other groups do. We have trucks that come in a big group and make the news (the past few years with higher gas prices they come in protest) and we have the bikers on Memorial day. We can drive there asking for a push on lower diesel prices!

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
va_reman said:
Yes, I will say many Northern VAers wish from Fredericksburg north would be North Virginia and the South well... the south would not want that then they would not have two dimes to rub together, if you are a resident of DC and you need to travel abroad its Dulles or BWI. N. VA compliments DC very well. TDIfest2009 DC - we can make a run thru DC and make our selves known like so many other groups do. We have trucks that come in a big group and make the news (the past few years with higher gas prices they come in protest) and we have the bikers on Memorial day. We can drive there asking for a push on lower diesel prices!
"We can drive there asking for a push on lower diesel prices!" Are you sure you want the guvment to hep you with pricing? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
va_reman said:
Fredericksburg?? Nah, more like Woodbridge. :D Potomac Mills is definitely in Southern VA ;)

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
We can do a history tour of DC... thisis the cathedral, the most power man in the world lived here - VP.

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Dulles is Washington D.C.

oops, wrong thread, I was responding to someone in the other thread about the high crime rate in D.C. The point was Dulles is not D.C. sorry

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah yeah, we've already been over that. If it's really that important to you, we will change the name of Fest to TDIFest 2009 -- Dulles, VA. :rolleyes:

It is part of the greater Washington metropolitan area.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
VeeDubTDI said:
Yeah yeah, we've already been over that. If it's really that important to you, we will change the name of Fest to TDIFest 2009 -- Dulles, VA. :rolleyes:

It is part of the greater Washington metropolitan area.
I would not hesitate to 'brave' a meeting in Northern Virginia for fear of my safety. I wouldn't however look forward to poking along I-81 all the way from Bristol. The revenue collectors along that highway especially are brutal. That said, I-81 traverses some beautiful country in the Commonwealth.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Very true. However, as with most states, "9 is fine" is generally accepted. Although in that part of the area, I'm not generally inclined to drive like a maniac because the scenery is so beautiful.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
GTDI4 said:
Dulles - Is Washington D.C. :confused: ? By the quickest route it is 27 miles away ( 33 min drive by HIGHway :D ) Baltimore Md is just as close to D.C. So I guess you can call Baltimore is part of D.C.:eek: .The nearest city is Reston Va. to Dulles, it is not D.C., it is not even connected by the D.C. metro subway, or in anyway.

End of story.

And the Philly fest was in Valley Forge - about 30 mins without traffic to the outer most part of the city, and Montreal fest was outside of montreal city by about 30 mins...

If someone was to host a fest in Dallas, but it as actually held in some smaller town outside of Dallas that no-one has ever heard of due to costs, and actually being able to PARK our cars in the same lot, maybe, just maybe you could let it slide.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Well the Toronto Fest sort of became the "Burlington" Fest too... that was only a little different though. :)
And Burlington is some distance from Toronto - much closer to Hamilton, the next large city.

These are big cities. Conferences are frequently held in a 'city', but get hosted wherever there is an available hotel - which might be some distance away. Visitors aren't concerened about this. If you've ever been to a conference (or number of conferences) you'd know all about it.
What's with the nit-picking?

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
VeeDubTDI said:
Exactly! I think enough hairs have been split in this thread. Why don't we just call it TDIFest2009 Planet Earth? That way only those damn annoying Kang and Kodos can complain.

On a serious note, TDIFest in the DC Metro/Dulles area will be great!

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
MayorDJQ said:
Exactly! I think enough hairs have been split in this thread. Why don't we just call it TDIFest2009 Planet Earth? That way only those damn annoying Kang and Kodos can complain.

On a serious note, TDIFest in the DC Metro/Dulles area will be great!
I agree :D !

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I'm not sure where to post this idea. It may belong in road trips, but my plan at present is to go to Medicine Hat to visit family then go south to about Salt Lake City and head east to arrive in time for registration and check in. Does anybody have an idea of how long this might take? I would like to take my time and do some sightseeing on the way. I expect by the time I arrive I will have had about enough TDI for a few days, but when I get there I'll be ready for Rocket Chipping.

Paul

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Alchemist said:
I'm not sure where to post this idea. It may belong in road trips, but my plan at present is to go to Medicine Hat to visit family then go south to about Salt Lake City and head east to arrive in time for registration and check in. Does anybody have an idea of how long this might take? I would like to take my time and do some sightseeing on the way. I expect by the time I arrive I will have had about enough TDI for a few days, but when I get there I'll be ready for Rocket Chipping.

Paul
From Salt Lake City, plan on at least 2, probably 3 days to get there. From around the Chicago area it takes about 14 hours, just to give you a perspective.