Thoughts on Frantz low pressure oil filter addition TP filter medium kit...

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
I have a Frantz low pressure oil filter kit, you just use a roll of TP and it filters in addition to Stock filter set up, I imagine on my B5 it would be a bad idea and filter out some of the needed additives for the cam.... I will probably just be installing it on my 7.3L but i'm curious as to peoples thoughts on it for the BHW I originally pulled it off an ALH TDI..... I'm also still unsure about using T6 although i've read plenty of happy people....can't seem to easily find/understand lab test results on the forum here for T6...honestly not spending a lot of time searching it at the moment, im tired of getting distracted and reading about things I probably shouldn't be :)

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Why overthink it? You change your oil once or twice a year. Just buy an oil change kit from one of the trusted vendors on this site, and make sure you select a 5w40 oil that is 505.01 certified. Pentosin HP2 or one of the LiquiMoly oils are good choices. There are others. Mann, Mahle or Hengst filter. Good to go.

Stay away from 5w30 oils, even if 505.01 certified. I don't think the trusted vendors should even be offering the 5w30 versions, at least without some sort of disclaimer that it shouldn't be used in a PD motor despite the 505.01 certifications.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Yeah I hear ya, but I can rock 3-4k a month pretty easily, but you definitely have a point there, especially with the 7.3 taking about 16qts. But as I said I was more curious than anything, just picked up some T6 as thats what I ran in my BEW, but If I want to buy quarts separately what should I go with?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Use a proper 5W40 oil (505.01)
Use an OE quality filter (Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Purflux)
Don't worry about it. I ran Fuchs Titan GT1 with 20K km intervals and never had any issues on mine.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I run the t6. Change every 5k. I think it was bob the oil guy who did the testing on the vw engines oil analysis. His response to not being 505.1 or whatever compliantint was " yes, and?"

My car had 212k of unknown miles on it when purchased. Has over 222k now. I will not be switching oils. Rotella in all my boats and cars and bikes.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
You do the BSM delete? PickleRick?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. Once i drove the car for a few weeks and decided i liked it i did a 5 speed conversion and bsm delete.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Im about do to one it looks like, I did not know you had to drain trans fluid, I just barely finished a TC, I should have done the delete as well but wasn't sure it wasn't already and didn't have the $ one day i'l learn maybeee

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
What tools do I absolutely need (have some tools for alh timing belt change) and where should i Get them? ....i'm sure i can search and find the info

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I used a cheap eBay crank/cam lock kit

Made a crank lock bar out of a 6 ft piece of angle steel 2"

Vcds

Triple square socket set

Grinder for removing old chain gear with a zip wheel.

An engine hoist and stand. Was easy to do sitting upside down. Pressure washed engine bay and engine while it was out.

Used some steel wire and a spring from a weedeater bump head to hold the windage tray in place.

That's all i can recall at this time

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
No need to drain tranny. Check motor mounts if they have not been replaced. Read the write up on geared BSM. Much of it applies.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah i know you don't need to drain the tranny, but you need to remove the radiator and will lose some trans fluid right?
kickin myself for not checking when it was easy....at the time it wasn't going to be easy tho.