Emission Fix and Tuning

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
I'm contemplating buying a 2013 Passat tdi and I have a couple of questions. Is it safe to assume all tdi's being sold have had the fix completed(mandated by federal law?) or is that something that is ultimately up to the owner to have completed? Once the fix is done, are the tunes for increasing fuel economy able to pass emission testing? I'd imagine an as long as the CEL isn't on, an egg delete and or a tune would not be an issue, or am I wrong about that? I'm trying to educate myself before I buy my first tdi(I have a diesel Excursion so not completely ignorant with diesels).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Emissions testing isn't required in Texas for diesels, so there is no problem passing that. There really isn't an issue to delete as you can just get a tune and achieve what you want leaving everything in place. These aren't the older cars anymore. You can delete if you want and void your warranty (emissions) and take a chance that you will get caught (not likely here) or the laws will change and catch you. Like I said though try a stage 2 tune with everything in place. That might be all you require. Along with a DSG tune for a DSG trans.

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
Emissions testing isn't required in Texas for diesels, so there is no problem passing that. There really isn't an issue to delete as you can just get a tune and achieve what you want leaving everything in place. These aren't the older cars anymore. You can delete if you want and void your warranty (emissions) and take a chance that you will get caught (not likely here) or the laws will change and catch you. Like I said though try a stage 2 tune with everything in place. That might be all you require. Along with a DSG tune for a DSG trans.
Knew my truck didn't require testing, for some reason I thought passenger car would. That's good to know, thanks.