Local Attractions -- with map!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Don't forget the Antietam National Battlefield. bloodiest day of the war is only 60 miles from IAD and the Hotel . Taking the Back roads there are a lot of battlefields for those that are into the war. real big around here.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Go see the Udvar Hazy Center. Its the main part of the Smthsonian Air & Space Museum and its about 5 miles from the Hyatt Dulles. You will not be disappointed if you like airplanes and spacecraft.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

That's the Enola Gay. It's there.

And the Space Shuttle Enterprise is there too.

--Nate

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think the space shuttle is the real one... but rather a working model of it. Either way, it's wicked cool. A definite MUST SEE while you're in the area.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
VeeDubTDI said:
I don't think the space shuttle is the real one... but rather a working model of it. Either way, it's wicked cool. A definite MUST SEE while you're in the area.
If memory serves me the Enterprise was the 1st shuttle built but did not have real engines and other things in it. They used it for aerodynamic testing on the 747 and other functions like that.

Still, it would be cool to see.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Looking for recomendations for a great place to have a Crab dinner. Several years ago the wife and I tried a place in the Arlington area, it was nice but thought that someplace near the water, for a view, would be nice.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
canast said:
Looking for recomendations for a great place to have a Crab dinner. Several years ago the wife and I tried a place in the Arlington area, it was nice but thought that someplace near the water, for a view, would be nice.
Feel free to PM me about this. I live near Annapolis and can point you in the directions of REAL Chesapeake Bay Crab hotspots. Theese are the places where they cover the table with paper and bring the steamed crabs to your table and just dump em out. You have to drive to AnneArundle, Calvert, St. Mary's, or Charles County Maryland. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is the very best most authentic place to go. They will all be a 1 to 1 1/2 hour ride from Dulles VA. Be prepared for the cost, one dozen large male crabs can cost 60-75 dollars this is enough to feed one very very hungry person or two light eaters. Traditional sides are potatoes with onions, corn on the cob, french fries, cold beer, beer, and more beer! I am going to give you a small list of some to google that are authentic.............Frank

Abeners Crab House- Annapolis Maryland
Captian Billy's- Charles County Maryland
Stoneys- Solomons Island- Calvert County Maryland
Fishermens Inn- Kent Narrows- Eastern Shore
****BEST****Watermans Inn- Eastern Shore, Rock Hall Maryland

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Please do not forget if you are coming to the area Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, have 1000's of very nice places to visit. Battlefields, Muesuems, Caves, Parks, Covered bridges, Waterfalls, Frank Loyd Wright Homes, Naval Academy, Historic Annapolis, Alexandria, Occoquan, Atlantic Beaches, Baltimore, Saint Michaels Maryland etc., etc, etc. Nearly everything is from a 10 minute ride to a 3 hour ride. You could visit the area for 6 months and not see everything. I have lived in the Metro area for 30 years and would be happy to answer any questions if you have specific interests on locating anything as well as advising you of prices, traffic or best days to visit. I myself live in a neighborhood on the Chesapeake Bay and if someone wants to visit me and just fish off my neighborhood pier and have some beers or go to dinner at a authentic Bay place with seafood caught by local watermen PM me......Frank

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As long as you don't mind the 2 hour long drive to and from dinner. ;)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
RC said:
You betchya!
You ain't lying Ron. Some friends of mine from out of the area were in Bal'mer and invited me to dinner at O'Brycki's in Fells Point. They wanted $75/dozen for jumbos? ***? :eek:

No thanks. I'll stick to all-you-can-eat crabs, shrimp, clams, chicken, hushpuppies and corn on the cob for $35 at Old Mill in Delmar. :)

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
As long as you don't mind the 2 hour long drive to and from dinner. ;)
That is why I said PM me for best times to travel. The drive from NOVA to Annapolis or the Eastern Shore is 1 hour give or take during light traffic.

There is really no substitute for the REAL Maryland crab feast, the eastern shore is the best most authentic place. For anyone interested in giving this a try, be a not too picky eater. You must break open the shell and sift through the entrails of the crab. Any good resturaunt will provide you with a proper crab knife and hammer to use along with a brief how-to. I hope I did not scare anyone off. There are few foods with the richness of taste and texture of Maryland crabs loaded with Old Bay. If you love social eating with friends in a picnic type of setting on the water the traditional crab feast will not leave you disappointed.

VT_hawkeye

TDI
03 Jetta sedan
LiLredTDI said:
That is why I said PM me for best times to travel. The drive from NOVA to Annapolis or the Eastern Shore is 1 hour give or take during light traffic.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

From the Alexandria waterfront, maybe. From the location of the Fest in Herndon, you might be able to make it to Annapolis in an hour if you drive 20% faster than the locals, see no cops, and hit zero backups. The Shore is at least 15 minutes farther along, again in perfect traffic.

The Fest is on the last vacation weekend of the year. Traffic won't be perfect.

With all due respect, I would not advise out-of-towners coming to the Fest to try to do the Shore this time, unless you want your "authentic" DC experience to be the 5+ mile backups approaching the Bay Bridge. The Fest is just on the wrong side of the area to do the Shore. From Baltimore, your chances would be far better.

But what do I know -- as an ex-Reston resident who would estimate that at least 7500 miles on his TDI's odo are from Sunrise Valley Drive between his old apartment and the Fest location, my lunch plans on Saturday are to hit my favorite Mexitalian joint 3 minutes away from the site. :p I just don't want people making plans and then getting burned -- we all like quality time with our TDIs, but there are better places to get it than the Route 50 parking lot.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm with you, VT. Traffic is gonna be perma-f'ed all weekend... especially on Friday.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Another nearby attraction is the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax. Take Rt 50 East and hang a left at the light just after crossing over I-66. It's in the NRA building. The only downside is that I think it's only open from 9-5.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Aaah, that's right! I'll have to add that to the map.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Added. Museum hours are as follow...

Sunday through Friday: 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturdays: 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM
The Museum is closed on major holidays.

Admission is free.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I added the two closest car washes to the map (I don't know if they're coin-op or machine). There will also be a hose available in the hotel loading dock.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
There is a big sailboat regatta out of Annapolis Labor Day weekend. I shall be spectating on Saturday. FYI

VT_hawkeye

TDI
03 Jetta sedan
VeeDubTDI said:
I added the two closest car washes to the map (I don't know if they're coin-op or machine). There will also be a hose available in the hotel loading dock.
"7 Car Wash" definitely isn't coin-op, from the reviews I found, and "suburan" is miscategorized -- it's a body shop.

I do not recall a coin-op car wash anywhere close to the hotel. That part of the suburbs is not coin-op territory -- overpriced, rushed and poorly-done hand-wash places or machines rule that turf. Too many people with too much money and too little time to use a coin-op place.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Boo. Well, I tried. I don't think that there are any coin-ops in the area.