Any interest in a side trip to Gettysburg?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
As the title suggests, I was thinking of driving to Gettysburg Saturday after the tech sessions. Google maps shows it as about 75 miles, and may be a nice scenic drive.

Anyone interested?

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I travel that route at least half a dozen times per year (travel for work). It is a nice scenic drive. It should take about 90 minutes, depending on traffic.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Cool. I may do it solo if no one else is interested. Saturday after the tech sessions should be good. Or Sunday AM if I don't feel like polishing the car.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I completely understand if you have your mind set on Gettysburg, however there are alot of battlefields closer to the fest.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
It's a straight run up Rte 15 to Gettysburg that would take about 90 minutes. I just got back from the new Visitors Center and can highly recommend the trip. The center has completely revamped the museum to create a very educational and entertaining history of the Civil War with, of course, a focus on the 1863 battle. The Cyclorama painting has been restored and now presented with a light and sound show. The visitor center can be done in about 2 hours.

If you want a guided tour of the battlefield you will need at least 3 hours. I would advise TDI members to reserve a guided tour in advance. The guide will ride in your car for $55; a per-person bargain compared to the $35 pp bus tour. You must reserve a tour guide at least 3 days in advance.

Remember that it is a holiday weekend and there will be crowds.

Another piece of advice: Be sure to buy your tickets to the museum online before leaving. There is usually no wait at the Will Call line but you may wait over 30 minutes in the other ticket lines.
http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/visit/center.html

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Gettysburg is a great trip and a nice drive. I'll second the recommendation for a tour guide, unless you just want to poke around yourself. Either way, you won't be disappointed if you're a history buff.