Wiring help, cut wire?

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Hoping someone can help me out. I'm chasing the cold start injection (P1252) on my 97 Jetta and while I was looking over my wiring I noticed this particular plug was looking a little frayed. On closer inspection there's a black wire that was further down into harness that looks like it was cut. I'm assuming it's a ground (and hopefully the ground that's causing my issue) but I'm hoping someone can confirm it for me. It's the brown plug right above the big round plug on the side of the block. I couldn't find any other end that it might have been connected to.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That black wire has continuity to battery ground, so don't worry about it, apparently all harnesses are like that.

Steve

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
That black wire has continuity to battery ground, so don't worry about it, apparently all harnesses are like that.

Steve
Good to know. Thanks. Not new to working on vehicles, but new to electrical issues and especially working in VWs. This car will be the death of me. I've had it a year and I've had nothing but issues with it since I got it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
you replace the ignition switch yet?

Steve

The guy I bought it from had basically pulled the switch out of the ignition so right now I'm using a screwdriver to start it, haha. I actually have a brand new switch for it to stick back into the steering column when I get around to it. Right now I'm chasing this P1252 issue that I believe is causing my no power issues. Everything in the engine bay has been cleaned or replaced and it's the only code I have left. Bought it to commute and it's been collecting more dust than miles.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Good luck on finding the fault, I only mention it because a bad ignition switch can cause a myriad of problems that appear to be unrelated except for the fact that they all come together at the ign switch.

Actually you might be confusing the ignition tumbler / key with the actual switch that's down further under that. The part that the key inserts into is not the actual electrical switch, that's attached down below and comes into position from the back. It's the electrical side of this that fails miserably and can cause the erratic electrical problems.

Good luck with this!

Steve

Last edited:

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Good luck on finding the fault, I only mention it because a bad ignition switch can cause a myriad of problems that appear to be unrelated except for the fact that they all come together at the ign switch.

Actually you might be confusing the ignition tumbler / key with the actual switch that's down further under that. The part that the key inserts into is not the actual electrical switch, that's attached down below and comes into position from the back. It's the electrical side of this that fails miserably and can cause the erratic electrical problems.

Good luck with this!

Steve

Haha, yeah it's the switch hanging by the harness removed from the steering column. I still have to insert the key to keep the steering wheel from locking while driving, but to turn it on and off I have to use a screwdriver in the switch. I actually thought the same thing so I plugged the new ignition switch in just in case.