looking at a 15 Passat

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi All, long time no post - it`s been several years since my last tdi but i`m looking at buying a 15 Passat Comfortline (SE).

I`m concerned about the seats. In the past, I haven`t found comfortline seats comfortable. I`m 6`3 and have several different back issues.

I suspect that Leather from a highline (sel) would be bolt on, but are there any other options? Maybe something from Audi? I`m only concerned about it they`re bolt on or not - i`ll figure out any wiring differences myself.

I`ve done a search and come up with someone hinting that CC seats might fit but that`s all.

Thanks

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yup same issues here myself. Just bought an 2015 Passat SE, out of an 2011 JSW TDI that was buyback last week. JSW had better seats over Passat as I got rear ended 3 months ago in the JSW that damaged my back. Nowadays Ive been very sensitive. Am hoping for someone to chime in for better seats such as CC ? Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the SEL trim has the nice seats, my 25 year old infinity G20 had the best seats iv ever sat in

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Comparing a Passat be it an SE or SEL is still going to be night and day from the JSW seats.

The NMS Passat is wider and more "Americanized", and it's shown in the seats/bolstering. Granted the SEL does seem to have more bolstering than our older '12 SE.

Only thing the Passat SEL seats may cause issues is the power and memory functions. not sure if that is just VCDS coding or if the connectors may be slightly different between the two trims, not sure.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your input, 740GLE. Very resourceful. What about vw cc seats?

Yup I miss JSW swats. Too bad they aren’t compatible. It was so gentle on my back from rear ended accident injury. Taking turns or roads with banks, doesnt hurt at all.

In Passat, it hurts on every turns and banks etc. caused my feet and legs go numb. In JSW they didnt go numb.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure about CC seats, seeing the NMS Passat is a "parts bin queen" it may work as the platforms are close enough but no idea really.

Thats more a Vortex question.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I drove the car in question last night. It was fine - seats were better than expected but it's got no caracter at all. Can't hear the engine, handling isn't quite right, but the space is exactly what we're looking for.

Any suggestions on how to combat this issue? I was thinking about doing the new Koni shocks with H&R soft springs, a RSB and perhaps a cat back with an intake

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I drove the car in question last night. It was fine - seats were better than expected but it's got no caracter at all. Can't hear the engine, handling isn't quite right, but the space is exactly what we're looking for.

Any suggestions on how to combat this issue? I was thinking about doing the new Koni shocks with H&R soft springs, a RSB and perhaps a cat back with an intake

Koni Special Active (formerly FSD) and a stiffer RSB will work miracles. To spend money on an inferior performing intake and a cat back exhaust will not make any more noise as the DPF silences the exhaust anyway

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No experience with any cat back or intake but can recommend a RSB as the first upgrade then see if you want to go beyond that.

Remember the NMS was going head to head with Accords and Camrys, don't expect it to be something it was never intended to be.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I’m 6’5” and 330# driving a 2015 Passat SE daily. My back got used to the seats within a few weeks and now a 5-6 hour trip is no issue. I looked at swapping different seats into the Passat when I first got it. I never tried bolting them in, but the seat bolts on my Touareg measured the same as the Passat. The wiring differences between the 2011 Touareg and the 2015 Passat was enough for me to pass on the idea.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i bought the car this evening. After 2 drives, i decided that i can at least work this these seats for now. Picking it up next week!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! Congratulations! What did you get?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Awesome! Congratulations! What did you get?

2015 Comfortline (like an SE) with a 6 speed. Black on Black. 61,000 kms (40k miles approx). It's an ex lease and is in pretty nice shape. Picking it up next week.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now that's a true unicorn! not surprised its a manual being in Quebec.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I drive my 2015 Passat Highline (SEL) every fall for 3,000 miles in 4 1/2 days and the same returning in the spring.

Having come from a 2002 Jetta I find I am far less fatigued at the end of the day driving the Passat.

My legs are or can be stretched out whereas in the Jetta they were always slightly bent and at the end of the day was always fatigued.

I for one, find the Passat seats quite comfortable.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice choice. Mines as I suspected is a ex leased vehicle as 22k miles.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Now that's a true unicorn! not surprised its a manual being in Quebec.
It was actually the only manual comfortline or highline within about 500 kms. There were a couple higher mileage cars in Toronto but they weren't at VW dealers. The next closest ones were in Nova Scotia but they were 3k more. I think we made the right call with this car

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! You definitely made the right call. Congratulations once again and enjoy her to the fullest.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Wow! You definitely made the right call. Congratulations once again and enjoy her to the fullest.

Thanks. We're heading out to Labrador/Nfld soon - Curious to see how good the economy will be over 6-7000 kms of driving

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
So what should my 1st mod be? I'll be doing shocks and springs when the base warranty is up. Considering a rear sway bar before that. Any opinions?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Good question.... I would like to know on shocks and springs also. I plan to go DPF/EGR and DEF delete soon. I drove with 3 kids age 14,11,5 and 2 adults from Florida to Michigan and Chicago. I am NOT happy on how the Passat handled on hilly roads especially going uphill. No power at all, the thanks goes to the DPF/EGR and DEF to choke the TDI motor including stage 1 fix. My old 2011 JSW with DPF/EGR delete on Malone stage 2 would smoke my Passat so bad with 5 people and all.

So what should my 1st mod be? I'll be doing shocks and springs when the base warranty is up. Considering a rear sway bar before that. Any opinions?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
The economy is not bad, averaging 47 mpg with 5 of us with trunk FULL of baggage.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
The economy is not bad, averaging 47 mpg with 5 of us with trunk FULL of baggage.

1 of the reasons for buying this car was the long warranty extension, so I won't be doing any deletes for the foreseeable future

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I know I agree. Maybe I go stage 2 only without deleting anything but if DEF heater fails 2 more times before 100k, it gotta go. I was without Passat for 3 says hence losing 3 days worth of work which means losing money. I cannot afford that. My old JSW never let me down. Only one glow plug went bad and drove in the shop and back on the road within a hour. Thats for 283k miles and 8 years of ownership. Impressive record.

1 of the reasons for buying this car was the long warranty extension, so I won't be doing any deletes for the foreseeable future

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Good question.... I would like to know on shocks and springs also. I plan to go DPF/EGR and DEF delete soon. I drove with 3 kids age 14,11,5 and 2 adults from Florida to Michigan and Chicago. I am NOT happy on how the Passat handled on hilly roads especially going uphill. No power at all, the thanks goes to the DPF/EGR and DEF to choke the TDI motor including stage 1 fix. My old 2011 JSW with DPF/EGR delete on Malone stage 2 would smoke my Passat so bad with 5 people and all.

Shocks and springs are one thing, but I believe it’s foolish to throw away the 11 year 162K mile warranty with the delete and tune. I think you’re exaggerating when you say “no power at all”, if that’s accurate take your car to the dealer and see what’s wrong with it. I drive my Passat up 5400’ of mountains weekly for work and have no issues pulling the hill at 80 mph regardless of load, just a little throttle and mine accelerates up the hill. Of course your previously deleted and tuned lighter weight car was faster than this one.

I’m also interested in some handling mods, but I have no plans to change from the 215/55/R17 tires so the handling will never be what it could be.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I’m also interested in some handling mods, but I have no plans to change from the 215/55/R17 tires so the handling will never be what it could be.
Mine came with 17s, but i'll likely go to 18 or 19 when I swap the shocks and springs over. Will go to 16 for the winter.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm is 16’s rims possible to fit for 2015 passat that came with 18’s?