Bellhousing for 95' 1.9 AAZ TD

svseeker

TDI
1995 1.9L AAZ
Howdy. Accept my apologies because I barely know enough about VW engines to ask this question. But we have what I believe to be a 1995 VW 1.9 AAZ turbo diesel engine out of a Passat that we have installed in a jet boat. We make an adapter plate so the drive shaft is bolted onto the back of the flywheel, and then fabricated a mount for the starter which would normally be bolted onto the bell housing. The problem is that the starter frequently hanging up after the engine starts and it's not very long before we have destroyed the gear teeth on the starter. We have tried but have not been successful correcting the problem with our fabricated starter mount, so we have decided to try an locate a transmission that we can then cut away the bell housing portion so we can more accurately mount the starter. The problem is that we are not sure which cars or years might be suitable matches for our engine. We need to know the various makes and years that will fit this engine and be assured that the starter will align properly with the flywheel. Hopefully there is a number of modes and years that will fit.

Here is a link to a video that shows the engine being installed. Skip to 4:50
https://youtu.be/ef3fKUV9Ka8?t=294

And thanks for your assistance. --Doug

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
The B4 Passats all used the O2A series transmissions. I'm confident the O2Js also used this same starter. Bosch SR0408X is the part number.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Doug

The bell housing bolt "pattern" on VW in-line 4 cylinder engines has the same pattern all the way back to 1974 and including up thru 2006 and maybe later, gasser or diesel! And, the starter Mogly listed will work ...

Last edited:

svseeker

TDI
1995 1.9L AAZ
That is good news. If you know, have there been any changes in location of the fly wheel that would cause the starter to be located too far forward or back? I have an offer for a 99 Beetle down in Texas. It just seems strange that it might fit.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The flywheel from any model in those ranges will work on any engine.. no changes. The teeth on the flywheel are in the same place in relation to the start engagement. However, the flywheel used on the early models (MK1) is substantially different. A late (MK4, MK5) model flywheel will bolt up and work perfect on the older engines but can only be used in the later transmissions as the clutch operation is also entirely different in the older set-ups.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Doug

The bell housing bolt "pattern" on VW in-line 4 cylinder engines has the same pattern all the way back to 1974 and including up thru 2006 and maybe later, gasser or diesel! And, the starter Mogly listed will work ...
1974 (1972 if you go Audi) to 2019 for I4 bell housings and cranks. :cool:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
02A and 02J starters interchange. However, you shouldn't use a gasoline starter on a Diesel as you will never spin it over fast enough.