Mk7 Baby Tank 800 Mile Club

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I wasn't sure if I'd ever attain it, and I don't think I ever want to try it again, but I finally nailed an 800 mile tank in my bone stock '15 GSW S DSG. I set a personal best for mpg as well.

800.4 miles
12.787 gallons
62.59 mpg

The unnerving part, and the reason I'll never do this again, is because I drove 17 miles beyond 0-to-empty on the digital display and I was thinking about my fuel-lubed HPFP the whole time, sweating bullets. Now that this OCD quest is complete, I'm never doing this again. 800 seems to be the milestone for these 13.2 gallon baby tanks. 900 isn't happening, short of non-stock mods and unorthodox hypermiling.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Fantastic job!

I'm on track for half that with my phase 2 GSW, but I've been keeping my foot buried.

(your diesel is half the price of mine :eek:)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just imagine what you could do with a Passat

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
congrats! wow, i'd be happy with 500 miles. norcal diesel is $4+/gal

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I wasn't sure if I'd ever attain it, and I don't think I ever want to try it again, but I finally nailed an 800 mile tank in my bone stock '15 GSW S DSG. I set a personal best for mpg as well.

800.4 miles
12.787 gallons
62.59 mpg

The unnerving part, and the reason I'll never do this again, is because I drove 17 miles beyond 0-to-empty on the digital display and I was thinking about my fuel-lubed HPFP the whole time, sweating bullets. Now that this OCD quest is complete, I'm never doing this again. 800 seems to be the milestone for these 13.2 gallon baby tanks. 900 isn't happening, short of non-stock mods and unorthodox hypermiling.

Does your car have a Phase 1 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, purchased new (old stock) in May 2017 with Phase 1 applied. Have not gone in for Phase 2.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Impressive for sure! Interesting it "only" took 12.8 gallons after driving that far after 0 remaining. I've found when mine hits 0 miles to go I get about 13.1 to go in, though that's topping off to the top.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Can you display your average speed over this tank of fuel? I imagine it will be around 45 MPH for that large MPG number. Delaware is sea level and flat so that helps. Lots of moisture in the air and moderate temperatures help also. I imagine you still would have to over inflate the tires and use a few other hyper-miling tricks to get an honest low 60's mpg average.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you display your average speed over this tank of fuel? I imagine it will be around 45 MPH for that large MPG number. Delaware is sea level and flat so that helps. Lots of moisture in the air and moderate temperatures help also. I imagine you still would have to over inflate the tires and use a few other hyper-miling tricks to get an honest low 60's mpg average.
The average speed was 47 mph. I have a near ideal commute: either 55 miles each way (Milford DE to Stevensville MD) when I take the commuter bus from Kent Island to downtown DC or 87 miles each way when I drive all the way in to the New Carrollton Metro station. Flat and sea level. Police enforcement is strict on my route, so I never drive more than 5 mph over. Highway speed limits are 50, 55, and 65 on the commute, and there are a couple of towns with 25 zones and several lights that bring the average speed down to 47. Tires are 45 PSI. I drive for mileage without even thinking about it. I’m not a student of hypermiling. I wouldn’t even know how to do a proper pulse and glide. I just do the common sense stuff. Don’t drive like an A-hole. Coast to stops and minimize braking. Accelerate briskly in Sport mode and let the turbo work, but without mashing the go pedal. Once up to speed bump it back to D and set cruise. No rocket science involved.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I began a 3,000 mile road trip today. My sons and I are visiting several Midwest states including OH, IN, IL, IA, MN, WI and MI. I put over 300 miles on today driving from my home in Delaware to just outside of Pittsburgh. It was raining and windy, traffic was a disaster with large backups at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, I-97 in Annapolis, and for a crash on I-70 west of Frederick MD. About half the drive was 70 mph speed limit and I did every bit of 70. I only got 55.4 mpg and 654 miles on the tank when I refilled on the PA Turnpike just south of Pittsburgh. So speed does kill the mpg a bit, which is a surprise to no one.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As sloinker pointed out,your tires are grossly overinflated maybe to the point of not safe in slippery conditions
Not at all. They’re rated for 55 psi. I have no issues with grip on wet roads at all at 45 psi, but thanks for your concern.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Not at all. They’re rated for 55 psi. I have no issues with grip on wet roads at all at 45 psi, but thanks for your concern.

What does your door sticker say? The rating on the tire also has no clue about what the car they are mounted on. What they are rated for means that above that limit the tire will fail air pressure wise. Floor it some time to avoid an accident in the rain and see how well they grip eh? Mr. I poke along with no problems until maybe you have a problem. My concern is not about you but others that may follow your queue and have a different result. Many members and especially lurkers who never post just read, key in on something they read here and think it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What does you door sticker say? What they are rated for means that above that limit the tire will fail. Floor it some time to avoid an accident and see how well they grip eh? Mr. I poke along with no problems until maybe you have a problem. My concern is not about you but others that may follow your queue and have many different results. Many members and especially lurkers who never post just read, key in on something they read here and think it's the right thing to do.
Your posts are comically incorrect and full of hyperbole. :p

I accelerate briskly and take turns quickly all the time in all conditions. No issues whatsoever.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I don't think it makes much difference either in summer. I've also kept mine over the door recommendation at around 40 without any issues. In fact I think a little extra air improves tire life.

Keeping less air in the tires probably has more effect in the snow though.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I don't think it makes much difference either in summer. I've also kept mine over the door recommendation at around 40 without any issues. In fact I think a little extra air improves tire life.

Keeping less air in the tires probably has more effect in the snow though.

The key here is as you said a little, not a lot. I don't care what it sez on the sidewall of the tire 45psi is a lot more than factory recommendation. What happens when the tire warms up? I run 38 psi in 16" tires on my Passat and it is a slightly heavier car. I ditched the stupid hard riding 18" tires the car came with. I also run dedicated snows in winter at 36psi not no 45 psi!.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
800 miles is very impressive in that car. I get 800 pretty regularly in my MKIV: Here's the most recent one from a couple weeks ago.

As you can see it's not even empty. I only added 15.6 gallons. There was about a gallon and a half left.

I know I'll never see that in my GSW. FE is climbing, now seeing above 45 MPG in highway driving, but I will go 80+ MPH when traffic is rolling at those speeds. And it's tuned. When I bought the car I told myself that I'd have to adjust to filling the car at 500 miles or so, not the 700 that I'm used to in the Wagon. Not really a hardship, but I'd love to have a larger tank.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Yes, I think that our friend Blue_Hen_TDI might have just started a one member "club"... :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I think that our friend Blue_Hen_TDI might have just started a one member "club"... :D
:D

What do I win?

Keep tabs on my Fuelly link for what I get when I drive like everyone else. Just filled up in South Bend IN yesterday after doing 70+ across Ohio and Indiana with the AC on and a headwind, plus quite a bit of city and idle time around Canton and Cleveland. 48 something. That was my first full tank under 50 mpg since I’ve owned the car. I died inside a little. :p

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i'd rock our tires at 55 psi if I could get that FE.

Ride is just too rough for anything over 40-42psi even on our winter 16", can't even contemplate it on our 17" or 18".

Never had any issues with wet traction as I usually slow down if its raining out.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I've done some experimenting with my '15 Golf DSG and the FE drop off from 60 mph to 80 mph is dramatic. Mid 50's to low 40's. Temperature is also a big factor. -30F and 80 mph is a ticket to mid 30's. Just this morning I had to contend with a 45 mph construction speed limit for most of my 27 mile commute home. Mid 50's temperature and 5000 foot altitude , up and down hills. I run my tires at 40 psi. The lie-o-meter said I got 55 mpg which really means 50 mpg. I imagine if you could drive on a warm day at sea level with the cruise control set at 45 mph you could get that low 60's average. Not practical for 99% of the world but there are always outliers.