Pics of 18" GTI Fahrenheit Charleston Rims on MK6

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
very nice! I really like those wheels. anything machined finish is nicer than painted wheels though. did you get those new thru the parts counter or find then somewhere else?

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
thanks guys!

sport rider: I got them from someone else. I believe they are more expensive than the huffs over the counter.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Do they have a "sport" suspension option in Canada? Or did you put on some lower springs? or is that stock Canada height? Looks about the same as USA Golfs is the only reason I ask and I thought all Canada Golfs were the non-"sport" suspension.

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
jnecr said:
Do they have a "sport" suspension option in Canada? Or did you put on some lower springs? or is that stock Canada height? Looks about the same as USA Golfs is the only reason I ask and I thought all Canada Golfs were the non-"sport" suspension.
You are right there is no sport suspension for Canadian TDI's.
This is on stock springs.

denass

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
biby said:
Hmmmmm it doesn't look too SUV-ish with 18" on stock springs ... maybe I won't have to lower mine after all.

Those rims are pretty sweet for OEMs!! :eek:

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
denass said:
Hmmmmm it doesn't look too SUV-ish with 18" on stock springs ... maybe I won't have to lower mine after all.

yeah the height is better than what I expected. I was thinking about lowering it but I guess I will keep it stock at least for now.

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
No kidding, doesn't look bad at all!! I've got some wheels on order from tirerack, 18" sparcos with conti DWS (backordered) and I was hoping not to have to lower it. I like the ride now, not too stiff, not too soft.

If I do lower it, are there any kits that don't significantly increase the spring rate? I can't find any data online.

denass said:

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Thanks

biby said:
Biby, thanks very much for the pics. Just this morning I was wondering about putting a set of 225/45ZR17 tires and rims that I have already on my forthcoming 2010 Golf TDI (blue graphite pearl) and saw your post. It was really helpful to see the 18s on your colour and model of car.

Used a tire size calculator and found out that the speed differential at 100Kph (for 17s) is only about 0.5Kph (slower), so no biggie.

I will post pics when the car comes in mid April.

Last edited:

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Tire Pressure on Larger than Stock Rims

canux said:
Just this morning I was wondering about putting a set of 225/45ZR17 tires and rims that I have already on my forthcoming 2010 Golf TDI (blue graphite pearl) and saw your post.
Speaking of which, while I was in a shop recently a mechanic looking at my rims told me not to use the VW recommended air pressure (as found on the door jam). Because there was so much less tire wall he recommended that I inflate them to something close to their maximum pressure to better protect the rim.

Has anyone else heard this? It seems to make a certain amount of sense to me but I worry about over-inflating the tire.

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
canux said:
Speaking of which, while I was in a shop recently a mechanic looking at my rims told me not to use the VW recommended air pressure (as found on the door jam). Because there was so much less tire wall he recommended that I inflate them to something close to their maximum pressure to better protect the rim.

Has anyone else heard this? It seems to make a certain amount of sense to me but I worry about over-inflating the tire.
I personally do not think there should be any worry about damaging the rims, as long as the tires are inflated with any normal driving pressure.
I saw quite some GTI drivers with 18" wheels recommend inflating them to 36-38, which I think is reasonable. I am running 36 on all four currently.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
If you inflate the tires to the max pressure on the sidewall you will NOT do any damage. You may possibly wear the tires more in the center than on the edges, but that's it.
Your ride may get a bit harsher, and if it's too much you can try decreasing the pressure (but not below the door card).

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many damaged rims and tires I've seen because people let the pressures drop a little, and then hit a pothole.

denass

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
biby a few questions:

1. Do you know if these weigh more than stock 16"?
2. How's the ride/drive on 18" vs stock?

biby

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Golf
denass said:
biby a few questions:

1. Do you know if these weigh more than stock 16"?
2. How's the ride/drive on 18" vs stock?
From online sources these rims weigh 25lbs each. I'm not too sure how much do the stock 16"s weigh tho. However to answer your question I believe these weigh more than the stock 16", just I don't know by how much.

18" with summer tires are more stiff, thus you feel the uneven road more. And it gives much better grip than the stock Hankooks. I still don't know what to do with them, not sure if those tire shops would accept trade in for snow tires.:(

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
GetMore said:
If you inflate the tires to the max pressure on the sidewall you will NOT do any damage. You may possibly wear the tires more in the center than on the edges, but that's it.
the REAL issue with over-inflating tires is stopping distance is increased...THUS increasing the chances of an accident. When tires are over-inflated or inflated to the max, you have less tread in contact with the roadway surface.

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I weighed my set of sparcos in 18". The stock 16" weigh in at 40lbs and the 18s at 44lbs. Not too bad. The scale used was a bathroom scale :) so it may or may not be very accurate.

biby said:
From online sources these rims weigh 25lbs each. I'm not too sure how much do the stock 16"s weigh tho. However to answer your question I believe these weigh more than the stock 16", just I don't know by how much.

18" with summer tires are more stiff, thus you feel the uneven road more. And it gives much better grip than the stock Hankooks. I still don't know what to do with them, not sure if those tire shops would accept trade in for snow tires.:(