Are they worth it

Refiner

TDI
2003 Jetta, Grey
Have over 3000km on my new 2003 jetta, I must say I'm wondering, should I have got this car. First was the window on the drivers side falling out of the clamps and falling into the door. Second the car does not stay very warm in the cold(-30c) lots of rattles. I love things about it, but I'm really wondering. Does anyone eles feel this way?

AndyH96Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, dark grey
Stick with it!! I'm sure that once the bugs are worked out, you'll love it. Also, keep in mind that diesels are more efficient in regards to heat (they utilize more of the fuel for making power versus just wasting it in the form of heat). Have you tried a TDI heater or something similar? This could be just the ticket you need.

-A

xlr8

TDI
2002, silver
I agree, hang in there. I've owned a Jetta TDI now for 4 years and have put on about 130,000 km. I haven't had
any of the problems you describe so I've been very happy with mine. I have spent some time at Hudson's Hope, near
your neck of the woods, so I know the diesel is not the greatest when it gets really cold. But it's other virtues make up for it.
I suggest you read the FAQ's on this club site to avoid the typical problems of intake manifold clogging due
to the soot and oil from the EGR and CCV systems. Good luck.

20ValveT

Veteran Member
Its funny, but these little quirks are what make Vdub owners Vdub owners. You either love the car or you hate them. When I first bought mine back in 98 the damn head gasket started leaking with less than 7000k on the engine, and the car had to sit for abit because no one in north america had a head gasket for this car yet, it had to come straight from germany. Man was I pissed with the car. I thought to myself, is this an indicative of whats to come in the future. I now have over 300k on the engine and have had to deal with some really dumb things going wrong but all in all I still like the car ALOT! I mean despite my rear main seal leaking, blower motor making noise, dash vibrations,suspension issues various wiring problems,ect, I still love the car. I think I'm crazy sometimes( I really do) but this is I guess what makes us who we are. LONG LIVE THE VDUB!!!!!!!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Refiner,

I went through hell and back during the first year I owned my car. Much of that was because it was a very early production New Beetle. But a LOT of it had to do with the dealer's inability to fix stuff correctly the first (15th) time.

I had a couple of friends during this period who swore by their VW's reassuring me (many times!) that once the stuff was sorted out, VW's settle in for a long, durable life span. I have to believe this is true, as my car is now just that. It sux that you've had issues with a NEW bleeping car, but if you follow up with them and sort them out, you'll likely be rewarded.

I love my car.
I detest pretty much all VW dealers.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
Hanging in there, there are no such things as no problem car. as you know with all these robo and computer involved. once the diesel get into your blood that all you need. diesel since 79 240D 4 speed no turbo. you will be ok.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The rattles in my 2001 Jetta annoy me and I'm not pleased with the MAF going bad at 40K miles and VW not wanting to do anything about it.

But my only other gripe about the car is I wish a TDI Passat had been available 2 years ago. The Jetta is a bit smaller than I wanted to go.

If the price of fuel keeps going up, you may be able to sell your car and not take too bad of a financial hit. Otherwise, I'd stick with it for a while and give the dealer a chance to rectify the stuff that annoys you.

Good luck.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I only had one regulator(passenger side) go out at 20K miles. The only other annoying thing is the rubber pealing off the door handles and brake handle.

I'm going in on Friday to get my handles replaced before my 50k warranty is up.

Just get a performance chip and start driving aggresively and you'll fall in love. Everytime I start racing up the canyon roads I get a huge smile!

Also driving from Los Angeles to Medford Oregon on one take makes me smile too.

Refiner

TDI
2003 Jetta, Grey
Thank You everyone for your posts. I do like so much about the car, and your replys have helped me take the car for what it is. One sharp looking car(not to say anything about the MPG)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
The rattles in my 2001 Jetta annoy me and I'm not pleased with the MAF going bad at 40K miles and VW not wanting to do anything about it.

But my only other gripe about the car is I wish a TDI Passat had been available 2 years ago. The Jetta is a bit smaller than I wanted to go.

If the price of fuel keeps going up, you may be able to sell your car and not take too bad of a financial hit. Otherwise, I'd stick with it for a while and give the dealer a chance to rectify the stuff that annoys you.

Good luck.
Okay, you're definitely right about the MAF. Funny how once I put in that $40 2.0 MAF, my (goofy) smile reappeared.

There ARE trouble-free cars out there, but unfortunately you feel brain-dead driving them.

Rattles? RATTLES?! I hope you can sort them. My car is totally rattle-free, and I really LIKE it that way. It changes your whole response to your car (feels way more solid when it SOUNDS like it).

Good luck!