camshaft cap

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
have a broken one. middle of cam purchased as is engine and this was one of the finds. not a win.

the head looks perfect, is it indeed screwed. i am curious if anyone has any experience in this area and whether i should just put the head on the scrap pile for aluminum or whether it is salveagable.

any advice appreciated

guess i should mention it is a 1.9 ALH TDI head off an 00 golf

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Although the holes are all align-bored at the same time (straight through), you might get lucky and find a cap that matches...

Which cap is broke?

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
number three. sure was not happy to see that the cap was cracked.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
No other issues? Taken the head off to see if a valve was punched throw? I have a head where the timing belt faulted but it didn't damage the caps. I even had Franko6 polish the cam so I could reuse. I could send you the head I have or a cap if you are interested (PM me). The head has bad valves/guides and needs re-working from the crash.

I would check with Franko6 first though. He can tell you more then you ever though about with the heads/cams and what your options are.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
A good machine shop will be able to shave the legs of a replacement cap and then align-bore. No pesky cam bearings to worry about. :) :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..........purchased as is engine...................
Well you'll want to evaluate the engine. If it's in otherwise good nick, you may want to r+r the head and appurtenances (send it to Franko6) or maybe you can get away with just the cap. But I might want to tear it down a bit more to better see.