ECU and Cluster Replacement

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
Anyone have any ideas on if the cluster and ECU can be replaced at the same time? I’m not sure if there is a specific order.

I’m putting a 2000 ALH motor and transmission into a 2003 Wolfsburg, so I got a 2003 TDI ECU and a correct diesel cluster. I’m wondering what my order of operations should be.

Can I put both of them in as long as I know the SKC from the 1.8t Wolfsburg? Or ECU program first, then do cluster?

I also do not know the new (used) cluster’s SKC, but I assume I’ll find that by plugging it into the car and running vagtacho.

Thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Why can't you use the 2000 ecu? You can use immo 3 cluster with immo 2 ecu. Aren't your guys 2000 cars all canbus too?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Why can't you use the 2000 ecu? You can use immo 3 cluster with immo 2 ecu. Aren't your guys 2000 cars all canbus too?
I don't believe so, at least when I was doing my 2003 swap it I seem to recall that I needed to find a 2002/3 recipient (but it's been a while since been through that).

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The ecu for a 99.5-01 will be about the same. Likewise the 02-03. The glow plug system was changed between those years so while the ecu will work with an immo delete it will throw codes that you won’t be able to get rid of.

Also a cluster from a 1.8 is a gasser cluster and the tach is not the same. I’m not sure about anything else on the 1.8.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ecu for a 99.5-01 will be about the same. Likewise the 02-03. The glow plug system was changed between those years so while the ecu will work with an immo delete it will throw codes that you won’t be able to get rid of.

Also a cluster from a 1.8 is a gasser cluster and the tach is not the same. I’m not sure about anything else on the 1.8.
Correct, I used both the ECU and cluster from the 2003 TDI donor into the 2003 1.8 chassis. Had just an immobilizer delete done and it allows the car to run/operate fine but still have the flashing immobilizer light until getting the cluster reflashed.
Although, I believe a gasser cluster will "work", even the tach, just that instead of the TDI redline of 4600rpm.
The older ECU ('01 and earlier) apparently don't work in the 2002 and up chassis/components probably when the CANBUS system began for our versions.(?)
Might have more success for info in the "Conversions" section of the forum.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Won’t I ha e issues with central convenience module? I thought I read somewhere about different functions not working, alarm issues, etc.?
Nah not ccm related issues, that's for sure. The ccm just has to match the door modules etc or they wont communicate

Did they canbus the glow plug system? Wonder if they did it to UK cars too, my latest is a 2005 mk4.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't think the GP system is CANBUS, but they did change the early (thru 2001) "one wire for all four" GP monitoring to a four wire system to monitor each GP individually (2002-?).

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The biggest question is are you putting engine harness from 2000 or 2002 and up?

If you using 2000-2001 harness the if you put 2003 ECU you will have GP light problem, they work different way , 2 wire vs 4 wire GP harness.

ECU has nothing to do with Central locking, It is Cluster, So you can have any ALH ECU excerpt 99.5 and Central locking will work.
This is controlled by Cluster, Your car is 2003 then you need to use 2002-2003 cluster , but ECU it does not matter.

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
I was planning on using the engine harness from the 2000, and now that I’m looking into modifying for the glow plugs, doesn’t seem like a whole lot of info on it (seems not worth it, probably why).

With the 2000 ECU paired up with the 2003 car with a 2003 TDI cluster, are there any other issues I may run into with the difference in ABS, etc? I’m trying to address as many wiring issues ahead of time before putting the engine in. All of the advanced functions of the 03 cluster with work correctly? No Immobilizer issues?

Thanks everyone!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You just pull the immo pin from the cluster with vag tacho then code the keys as normal, no immo in the ecu.

I don't think the abs is related to the ecu, just stops the wheels locking up or brakes a little if you have wheel spin with tc.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I was planning on using the engine harness from the 2000, and now that I’m looking into modifying for the glow plugs, doesn’t seem like a whole lot of info on it (seems not worth it, probably why).

With the 2000 ECU paired up with the 2003 car with a 2003 TDI cluster, are there any other issues I may run into with the difference in ABS, etc? I’m trying to address as many wiring issues ahead of time before putting the engine in. All of the advanced functions of the 03 cluster with work correctly? No Immobilizer issues?

Thanks everyone!
No problem with anything, ECU is pretty much same just GP harness different.
But it will need to be programed .

You just pull the immo pin from the cluster with vag tacho then code the keys as normal, no immo in the ecu.

I don't think the abs is related to the ecu, just stops the wheels locking up or brakes a little if you have wheel spin with tc.

There is Immo in ECU .

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No problem with anything, ECU is pretty much same just GP harness different.
But it will need to be programed .

There is Immo in ECU .
Never had to code an immo 2 ecu, no immo pin. Don't think it's in the immo 2 ecu, I think it's just the cluster, it has to say it's all ok and sends some signal to the ecu to say so.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Adapt "new" cluster to the car with the gasser ECU and then adapt the "new" ECU to the cluster. Should work in that order.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless using the immo 2 ecu in which case adapt the cluster to the ecu only lol