Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Next Friday (01/20/17) I will have the updated 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software installed. I had not yet seen a thread on this so I wanted to start one. I was going to wait until so others had theirs completed but I know the payment from VW is based on mileage of first modification and I'm close to the next marker for depreciation so I'll just be the guinea pig.

A couple of things I've noticed over the last 15K while driving my car.
About 1.8 gal of Adblue is consumed for 10K miles
Avg MPG is 41 with 95% spirited highway driving.

My car is currently stock, save for my winter tires, so I would like to think will be able to offer a fair and accurate assessment of the flash. Are there any other parameters I should look at for a before/after comparison? Just tying to help the community.

Drive safe.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Thanks for being the guinea pig! In addition to mpg, I'd also be interested in subjective impressions of performance and driveability.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I hope VW will have an approved fix for gen 1, whatever it is, as long as it can be undone.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I'm gonna follow this. I also am waiting for a fix date. Just like others has said ill post anything I notice here. Thanks!

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Yes., thanks for posting. Only thing I can think of is frequent regens of the system, or more than what your car is normally used to. But if you drive mostly highway this may not be a factor . Good luck..

bowltr

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I had the sw adjustment done yesterday. Was told I am the first person in the North East to have it done.
I will post a report tonight here, with my feelings and short-time opinion on the fix.
Stay tuned.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
We need to sign (and notarize) the sheets on Tuesday, then wait for our date. Will be looking forward to reports from you who went first, and will provide my feedback as I get some.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
I'm getting my Golf TDI 6 speed done Monday 1/16/17 ill report back my findings after it's done and have time drive it a bit.

bowltr

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Findings on my SW update

Had my car updated yesterday and here's what I've noticed in that short time. First though some background.
Mileage: 36,804
2/3 restitution payment: $5218

Took about 90 minutes to complete. Was told the engine may be louder, but have not noticed a difference.

I have driven about 150 miles since the update. No discernible difference in mileage.
However, I do notice some performance issues. The car appears to be sluggish on the start. It also appears sluggish when going from 4th to 5th gear and from 5th to 6th. The pickup just didn't seem to be the same to me.
On the start I have used the sport mode and that seemed relatively close to what it was before. Without the sport it definitely feels like like I'm hauling something.

So for now I'll continue to monitor it and report back to my dealer late next week. If the car continues to perform less than before that would be disappointing but if the mileage continue to be what it was I can live with it.

Tsimpson69

TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
Decisions Decisions

Good information guys. I have a 2015 SEL DSG and I'm taking mine in this week to get the first stage done just to see what happens. I haven't made a final decision on selling back. I know its a smart move but i will keep this car for years as it is. Decisions Decisions!!

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
Thanks for the update. Let us know how quickly they get your your stage 1 fix payout, too. I've got a 2015 Golf and I flip flop back on forth on what I'm going to do.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
It would be nice to see an independent lab/dyno test results before and after. It seems dubious if there's any loss in performance or any decrease of the torque/hp curve throughout the rpm range.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Had my car updated yesterday and here's what I've noticed in that short time. First though some background.
Mileage: 36,804
2/3 restitution payment: $5218

Took about 90 minutes to complete. Was told the engine may be louder, but have not noticed a difference.

I have driven about 150 miles since the update. No discernible difference in mileage.
However, I do notice some performance issues. The car appears to be sluggish on the start. It also appears sluggish when going from 4th to 5th gear and from 5th to 6th. The pickup just didn't seem to be the same to me.
On the start I have used the sport mode and that seemed relatively close to what it was before. Without the sport it definitely feels like like I'm hauling something.

So for now I'll continue to monitor it and report back to my dealer late next week. If the car continues to perform less than before that would be disappointing but if the mileage continue to be what it was I can live with it.
Did you get the 2/3 payment? How ? Check or EFT?

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
My appointment got cancelled at the last minut with dealer claiming there waiting on something from VW. Pissed at dealer as they claimed they new this since Friday but got no call just a email at 7:10am this mornin.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Took my car in this morning. They said it was the first one in their dealership. They wanted me to leave it since they had to call in to VW to be walked through the process, and didn't know for sure how long it would take. I'll report back when I know more.

Doug D

TDI
Jetta 15 TDI
Im watching this thread with great interest. i had a approved buyback scheduled for last week. I cancelled it once i heard the fix was in for the 2015 tdi (what i drive) ... some may call me nuts but my current job is sketchy that the company will survive and my resume has led me to some oportunitys about 30 miles farther than what i drive now but its all highway driving. So i would love to keep my TDI and enjoy the 40+ mpg. I was able to call vw and reset my choice back to the decision point of buyback or fix. Im leaning towards the fix right now ... keep updating this with post fix results.

you guys rock!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
lurking! still thinking about picking up a fixed gen 3 in a year or so.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
This is by far the most important thread to me so far since i am thinking of going with the fix also, I appreciate everyone who took the time to post here, Cheers.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Took my car in this morning. They said it was the first one in their dealership. They wanted me to leave it since they had to call in to VW to be walked through the process, and didn't know for sure how long it would take. I'll report back when I know more.
Okay, so I just got back from picking up the car. They said that the flash itself wasn't too difficult, it was just a learning curve getting everything set up correctly since it was the first time they had done it.

I only managed to take a quick spin on the interstate and around town a little, but so far so good. I am not a car expert, by any means, but this is my daily driver, and from what I can tell, not too much has changed, and what has is actually better (a bit).

One thing is it used to have a bit of lag from a stop that I had pretty much gotten used to. This lag now appears to be gone, and it seems to jump from first to second gear pretty quickly and smoothly now in D. It actually made it feel quicker off the line (this may be an illusion).
I was also able to pop right up on the interstate and merge in without any trouble, and without noticeable (to me) sluggishness or lag between gears. The on-ramp was uphill, if that makes any difference.

It did seem a little more sluggish than usual when accelerating from speed (65mph, to downshift to 5?) to pass on the interstate. It went, it just seemed to have a bit more hesitation than it used to. I would need more time driving to be sure of this, and this was in drive mode, not sport. Sport mode didn't really feel any different at all, but I only used that for a few accelerations in town, and not on the interstate.

It's too soon to tell about the mpg, but the display is still giving me about the same average as before dropping it off. Hope this helps a little to those who are wondering. I will update as I notice any differences this week, and I have a short road trip this weekend, which should give me more time to notice changes. :)