Volvo Offer For VW TDI Owners

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Buying a Volvo seems to me much like buying a washing machine. Each will do the intended job but not with much excitement.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Buying a Volvo seems to me much like buying a washing machine. Each will do the intended job but not with much excitement.
Try test driving one. As much fun as my JSW. As much (More? very close) torque and HP, still pretty miserly in the MPG. (V60)

Since this new deal also applies to 2016m not just 2017, it could be coupled with very large discounts if you find a left over 2016 you like as most dealers I have seen in late summer were highly discounting remaining 2016. 2017, being a new model year, will have a lot less discounting at the start.

Last edited:

emersonbiggins

TDI
09 JSW TDI
Disagree strongly. My '15 V60 with the Sport package is as much or more fun than driving my JSW. The ride is much better as well - you should try one out.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Try test driving one. As much fun as my JSW. More torque and HP, still pretty miserly in the MPG. (V60)
Since this new deal also applies to 2016m not just 2017, it could be coupled with very large discounts if you find a left over 2016 you like as most dealers I have seen in late summer were highly discounting remaining 2016. 2017, being a new model year, will have a lot less discounting at the start.
I saw a dealer with 12,000 dollars of a 2015.5 Volvo V60. And 8k off 2016 V 60. Station wagons are not popular in this country. If you want a V60 you can get a heck of a deal

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I just leased a V60. With all the incentives, the lease is cheaper than the one on the Passat TDI was. That's for a car that lists at $40k, vs 27. Drives great, much more involving than the Passat.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
Now that's some good marketing! I still maintain VW should have done something like this to keep their base, but alas, they are busy trying to figure out how to pay the upcoming bill they owe.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Disagree strongly. My '15 V60 with the Sport package is as much or more fun than driving my JSW. The ride is much better as well - you should try one out.
So... the company that marketed their product for DECADES to yuppies and old rich people based almost solely on safety is also kicking butt on performance and efficiency?

Who knew?

I guess I always associate them with one word "overpriced", like Audi.

That said, my bro-in-law has a little hatch he likes a lot. But why not go to Subaru or Mazda if you want comparable performance and/or allroad capability? Or even the Alltrack now?

Last edited:

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Five years of free maintenance including brakes and wiper blades. Seems like a good deal.
Not really. The standard one is 4 years. So it is just getting you an extra year.

Also, when I ordered our XC90 they gave an additional $1k off for TDI owners (in addition to any other deal you could negotiate). This "offer" started a month ago (ordered mine on 09/20)

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Not really. The standard one is 4 years. So it is just getting you an extra year.
Not quite. The standard warranty is 4 years/50k. But the standard included service is 3 years/36k and does not include consumables like wiper blades and brakes.

Also, when I ordered our XC90 they gave an additional $1k off for TDI owners (in addition to any other deal you could negotiate). This "offer" started a month ago (ordered mine on 09/20)

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
So... the company that marketed their product for DECADES to yuppies and old rich people based almost solely on safety is also kicking butt on performance and efficiency?

Who knew?

I guess I always associate them with one word "overpriced", like Audi.

That said, my bro-in-law has a little hatch he likes a lot. But why not go to Subaru or Mazda if you want comparable performance and/or allroad capability? Or even the Alltrack now?

Subaru has terrible performance. Really Subaru is not in Volvo's league and their vehicles are truely overpriced. Volvo is at a discount to other European Autos.

vestal

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I followed the Volvo link but there isn't much info there - I don't get it, are they offering the VW buyback value as trade-in value?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
I followed the Volvo link but there isn't much info there - I don't get it, are they offering the VW buyback value as trade-in value?
No. They are offering an enhanced maintenance and warranty to TDI owners. Instead of the standard 4 years/50k you get 5 years/50k of warranty. instead of 3years/36k for scheduled maintenance, you get 5years/50k for scheduled maintenance, and it includes consumables such as brakes, rotors, wipers.

Even though the offer doesn't state this, the "Volvo concierge" confirmed that "Overseas Delivery" car purchases don't qualify.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Subaru has terrible performance. Really Subaru is not in Volvo's league and their vehicles are truely overpriced. Volvo is at a discount to other European Autos.
Yeah, I was mainly talking about the Outback that so many seem to love, and for the allroad capabilities. Mazda seems more geared to performance.

But discount and Volvo do not fit together; in my mind at least. Maybe the stripped down versions are more economical these days (like my bro-in-law's), but the tricked out wagons were always a premium. More sold on luxury than sport.

Last edited:

BigMule

TDI
2013 Passat
Wow! The cheapest model starts at $41,845 from the inventory I am seeing. I could buy two Passats for that. Thanks for sharing this incentive though.

vestal

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
No. They are offering an enhanced maintenance and warranty to TDI owners. Instead of the standard 4 years/50k you get 5 years/50k of warranty. instead of 3years/36k for scheduled maintenance, you get 5years/50k for scheduled maintenance, and it includes consumables such as brakes, rotors, wipers.

Even though the offer doesn't state this, the "Volvo concierge" confirmed that "Overseas Delivery" car purchases don't qualify.
thanks. why the heck would anyone give up their buyback value? I'm pocketing like 14k on this thing.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks. why the heck would anyone give up their buyback value? I'm pocketing like 14k on this thing.
I don't think one has to.

Unless I missed something, this is just a way to try and woo VW owners to Volvo (i.e. To spend their buy back money to replace the TDI they are turning in).

So it has nothing to do with the buy back. They are adding a year to the warranties and maintenance to make TDI owners feel somehow special.

I think the OP hit it on the head: "meh"

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! The cheapest model starts at $41,845 from the inventory I am seeing. I could buy two Passats for that. Thanks for sharing this incentive though.
Your Boise dealer does not have that much on hand at the moment but I bet you could get a huge discount on the left over 2016. Folks have reported very big discounts on remaining 2016 models.

The V60 Cross Country is a different model from the standard V60 btw.

The least expensive MSRP wise is the $33950 S60 sedan.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
????

You quoted me and I never said you gave up your buyback value.

You just buy a Volvo and prove you own a TDI and they throw in the extra warranty/maintenance as outlined.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The "torque monster" VW common-rail TDI produces 238 ft-lb from 1750 to 2500 rpm. The "washing machine" Volvo T5 Drive-E producse 258 ft-lb from 1500 to 4200 rpm.

The only question in my mind is whether I'm willing to pay the price premium. But I've got a couple of year to decide; maybe I'll be able to find a CPO T5 Drive-E by then.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
They may have made that harder to get the "deal". Just got a call from my dealer. Volvo is rejecting all orders as plant is at capacity (for XC90). Only way to get what I wanted is to change one in pipeline...late February delivery...a bit past the jan 2 deadline for delivery

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The "torque monster" VW common-rail TDI produces 238 ft-lb from 1750 to 2500 rpm. The "washing machine" Volvo T5 Drive-E producse 258 ft-lb from 1500 to 4200 rpm.

The only question in my mind is whether I'm willing to pay the price premium. But I've got a couple of year to decide; maybe I'll be able to find a CPO T5 Drive-E by then.
Actually, the Drive-E has an overboost function which allows about 280 lb-ft for 10 seconds.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
They may have made that harder to get the "deal". Just got a call from my dealer. Volvo is rejecting all orders as plant is at capacity (for XC90). Only way to get what I wanted is to change one in pipeline...late February delivery...a bit past the jan 2 deadline for delivery

When we ordered our overseas delivery V60 back in the summer (July sometime) they were not accepting any orders except overseas delivery for V60. Even dealers couldn't place stocking orders for 2017 MY cars. Same "excuse" of factory running at capacity. Supposedly they build the V60 on the same line as the XC90, probably mostly with robots. (S60 is made in Belgium but V60 and XC90 are both in Sweden).

I guess the "new" XC90 is doing really well.

I think the promotion is most to help clear existing stock out.