Claims Site is LIVE

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Since this was a purchased item, a vehicle, and most of us paid Sales Tax on the purchase, what is the chance of a refund on the Sales Tax.
Ordinarily when an item is returned to a shop, the sales tax is refunded as well.
Any wisdom on the subject:confused:?
Check with state, however most states have a Sales & Use tax. Use is the key word. Can't hurt to see if they have plans to rebate.

nwtim

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm picking the fix for now, but if it doesn't look like one's going to be approved by the projected date, I'll probably have to switch it to buyback. Buyback doesn't reflect depreciation from 9/15 while the trade-in value of a fixed vehicle is in constant decline. The crossover point for me is rapidly approaching.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Registered both of our Jetta's to be bought back. Sad to see them go. Website worked great, no problems.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Back in 2013 I bought a salvaged cosmetically damaged vehicle from an auction for my wife who had a 70 mile round trip commute. After buying all the necessary parts from a vw dealer in Tijuana I repaired and had the car back to new in 2 months. My father is a body shop repair technician and we fixed it at the shop in the weekends. The car received a $500 lumar ceramic tint, clear ceramic tint in the windshield and a $250 ECS Tuning skid plate.

After using it for 2 days I was afraid there was something else wrong because the fuel gauge didn't move... After 110 miles of use it finally lost a little bar (I did some reading and research but did not believe it was as fuel efficient as it was). My wife went from filling up twice a week to once a week. 2 weeks later I saw a 2012 Jetta TDI in the auction site and knew it had to be mine. Same tint, ECS skid plate and I have always babied my recycled better than new salvage cars. I truly believed this cars would be in our family forever and passed on to my 10 year old on his 17th birthday.

Anyways numbers speak for themselves.
I bought the 2012 for 12K cash (accounting for repairs, minus labor since my dad and I did it on the weekends) and they pay me $21K for it.
My wife's 2013 was bought for (16K) cash and they pay $23K.

As much as I love my cars, it would be irresponsible to my family finances not to take the offer.

I will say one thing, besides having my ECS skid plates for sale.... We will both miss our TDI's.

My wife plans to put 23K in her bank account and drive our 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 for her now 5 block commute (since we moved closer to her work) and I plan to buy a used first generation Chevy volt for $11K and bank the rest, and charge the car with our newly acquired solar panels. It should be enough to do half of the trip on electricity. I Buy the Volt because I know in the next 5 years electric cars will have double in range and lowered in price.

I will miss my TDI's and this community forum greatly.

Thanks guys!
if you have branded (salvage) titles, you won't be getting a buyback.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Mine is branded in NY as reconstructed, however, it shows as eligible on the VW website?
it's only eligible by what kind of car it is (age/model etc). When you show up with a reconstructed title, they'll inform you you aren't eligible. That's pretty clear in all the documents.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
it's only eligible by what kind of car it is (age/model etc). When you show up with a reconstructed title, they'll inform you you aren't eligible. That's pretty clear in all the documents.
That is what I figured would happen.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
if you have branded (salvage) titles, you won't be getting a buyback.
This is incorrect. The exclusion for branded titles is much narrower than this. If

• Your car had a branded title on 9/18/15, and
  • Your car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15
then it's excluded. If either of those conditions is not true, then this exclusion does not apply.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Back in 2013 I bought a salvaged cosmetically damaged vehicle from an auction for my wife who had a 70 mile round trip commute. After buying all the necessary parts from a vw dealer in Tijuana I repaired and had the car back to new in 2 months. My father is a body shop repair technician and we fixed it at the shop in the weekends. The car received a $500 lumar ceramic tint, clear ceramic tint in the windshield and a $250 ECS Tuning skid plate.

After using it for 2 days I was afraid there was something else wrong because the fuel gauge didn't move... After 110 miles of use it finally lost a little bar (I did some reading and research but did not believe it was as fuel efficient as it was). My wife went from filling up twice a week to once a week. 2 weeks later I saw a 2012 Jetta TDI in the auction site and knew it had to be mine. Same tint, ECS skid plate and I have always babied my recycled better than new salvage cars. I truly believed this cars would be in our family forever and passed on to my 10 year old on his 17th birthday.

Anyways numbers speak for themselves.
I bought the 2012 for 12K cash (accounting for repairs, minus labor since my dad and I did it on the weekends) and they pay me $21K for it.
My wife's 2013 was bought for (16K) cash and they pay $23K.

As much as I love my cars, it would be irresponsible to my family finances not to take the offer.

I will say one thing, besides having my ECS skid plates for sale.... We will both miss our TDI's.

My wife plans to put 23K in her bank account and drive our 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 for her now 5 block commute (since we moved closer to her work) and I plan to buy a used first generation Chevy volt for $11K and bank the rest, and charge the car with our newly acquired solar panels. It should be enough to do half of the trip on electricity. I Buy the Volt because I know in the next 5 years electric cars will have double in range and lowered in price.

I will miss my TDI's and this community forum greatly.

Thanks guys!
You should read up on the buyback. VW will not buy back a salvaged car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You should read up on the buyback. VW will not buy back a salvaged car.
Perhaps you should read up yourself. Or, heck, just read my post right above yours. There is not a general, universal exclusion for any car with a branded title.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Thanks DanB36. So maybe the jury is still out if I will see anything.

I am not selling it back. I might be inclined to do the "fix" in exchange for $$$ if and when that happens.

doodahman

TDI
2009 JSW 6MT
'09 JSW 6MT, 123k. Going for the buyback, $13,175. Going to miss her so much as well. But potential DPF and especially HPFP failures scare me to death right now. I've pretty much parked it and am driving a '91 Dakota in the interim. I'm a lifelong VW guy and will most likely go for a GTI, my practical mid life crisis car:D

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
This may be helpful for those who did not receive the email from the VW site to which you must respond in order to activate your account. I use Microsoft Outlook to manage my emails and had the same problem - never received the email from VW. Turns out I did receive it, in the spam folder of my source email at AOL (formerly Verizon mail). Apparently when Outlook pulls email from AOL it ignores anything in the spam folder. Opened the message in AOL, clicked the link and it worked fine. I will be selling my 2009 Jetta TDI late this year for about $12,000 and will probably hold onto the 2014 Passat TDI I picked up a few weeks ago for a year or two before selling it to VW.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Is VW being a bit presumptuous? The Judge will still be hearing from owners for another month yet, right? This still yas yet to receive approval.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
2015 Golf SE with 34k miles. Getting just over 26k back, but owe just over 18k still. 8k on a down payment would give me a larger car loan. Guess I'm taking the "fix".

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
Is VW being a bit presumptuous? The Judge will still be hearing from owners for another month yet, right? This still yas yet to receive approval.
No, in fact, at the hearing where the judge granted preliminary approval, he wanted to be sure VW was ready to go live ASAP. That should tell you which direction the wind is blowing.

Lodi781

TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4 dr
Just signed up. I'm looking at $23646. I bought the car for 24k out the door, tax title and everything else included. I'm taking the buyback. All I ever wanted was a refund for my car. The 300 bucks or so difference isn't that big a deal for me. I also took the nov 1st date. Can't wait to be over and done with all of this.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine is around 21K for a buyback total with restitution. I still owe about 14K so I will get around 7k net back after they pay it off. I have put 103K miles on it so I will be due a timing belt soon among other things. Will use the 7K toward a down payment for my next victim.

I trade every 4-5 years anyway as my company pretty much pays my payments as long as I have a car no more than 5 model years old so this is perfect for me.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
All you guys looking to make quick buck off of Vw. You have to report your buy back check as income to the IRS.

You would be off better waiting. The fix might make the car run better.

lzhome

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG Nite Blue
All you guys looking to make quick buck off of Vw. You have to report your buy back check as income to the IRS.
You would be off better waiting. The fix might make the car run better.
The Restitution amount may be considered income however the buy back value would not. IMHO... And how about the Goodwill gift cards? Maybe but I never got a 1099.

Rotglatt

Veteran Member
TDI
no TDIs at present
Hmmm. When I go to settlement calc sites the settlement I get a value for buyback of $26657. The claim site says $19450. Restitution was coming up $8318.13, now its $6,876.73. Not sure why the difference? Using all same info... thoughts?

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
2843.37 for my troubles of owning a 2012 Jetta TDI sold on 9/22/2015. Man you guys were right about not being hasty. I left money on the table.

Never in a million years did I imagine they would buy back a half million vehicles.

Oh well. Looking forward.

Wonder what proof of ownership they will require? I have the trade in on the bill of sale on my new car that reflects the date.

lance2214

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
To all of the posters above and other individuals that might be in my shoes.

Indigobluewagon - Both of my vehicles have a salvage title.

I spoke to VW Claims dept. Branded Salvage vehicles are eligible for a buyback. The exclusion only applies for who meet the condition that DanB36 already stated:

Your car had a branded title on 9/18/15, and
Your car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15

So anyone who recycled a salvage title vehicle has an eligible vehicle unless the conditions above apply.

In my specific case my cars were bought free and clear in 2013 and I have owned them since.

As a side note, VW has done Emission warranty on 1 of my Salvage title vehicles when the DPF failed. In California they are required to perform warranty on Emissions, regardless of branding on title.

I also received goodwill cars for both of the cars.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good news, then, lance. I saw someone had clarified the salvage title conditions elsewhere.

rivercanoe

TDI
'06 Jetta Pkg 0
2012 Golf TDI 6M and without Tech package, 136K, needs timing belt, never replaced the battery, and will need tires by the end of the year. $16.8K and I'm taking the money and running.

I'm not sure what I will replace the car with though.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
No, in fact, at the hearing where the judge granted preliminary approval, he wanted to be sure VW was ready to go live ASAP. That should tell you which direction the wind is blowing.

According to the Federal Register, the comment period ends around Aug 7.

The period started when the original settlement was posted to the federal register, which was around July 7. Not with the preliminary settlement approval it seems.