Dieselgate for tuned cars

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Apparently the buyback cars will not get destroyed....take a look at the latest news....

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...ave-option-to-purchase-fixed-tdis-for-resale/

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. For one thing, a fix hasn't even been approved yet. If a fix is approved at some point, VW will certainly have some sort of formula that considers condition, age, mileage, options, etc. to determine which cars get fixed and which become parts and scrap metal.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
I don't see how you came to that conclusion. For one thing, a fix hasn't even been approved yet. If a fix is approved at some point, VW will certainly have some sort of formula that considers condition, age, mileage, options, etc. to determine which cars get fixed and which become parts and scrap metal.
Quoting from article

"If a fix is approved, dealers will have the option to purchase buyback vehicles for resale. If the first dealer declines, then others will have the option to buy the vehicle for resale."

To my understanding buyback cars or at least some of them, will sit somewhere waiting for the fix ( if and when that comes) to be sold back into the market, therefore not all cars will be destroyed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think you're saying anything different than the article in the link does. A fix does need to be approved first, and then dealers can decided if they want a car that's been bought back by VW. If the first dealer declines, another can bid. I bet if the repaired car isn't in good enough condition for a VW dealer to purchase they can sell it at auction. Normal process.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
I don't think you're saying anything different than the article in the link does. A fix does need to be approved first, and then dealers can decided if they want a car that's been bought back by VW. If the first dealer declines, another can bid. I bet if the repaired car isn't in good enough condition for a VW dealer to purchase they can sell it at auction. Normal process.
The only point I am trying to illustrate is that someone said earlier on this thread that all cars will be destroyed and apparently that is not the case...that is all

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Right. I agree. And I'm happy about that. People needing parts aside, it seems like ecological folly to crush cars because they pollute too much. Illogical.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Apparently the buyback cars will not get destroyed....take a look at the latest news....

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...ave-option-to-purchase-fixed-tdis-for-resale/
This is all contingent upon the "fix" being approved by EPA/CARB.

And then it becomes a business decision. If a large number of vehicles are returned, it will flood the resale market. If the "fixed" cars get a reputation for being troublesome (and I would consider this to be distinctly possible) that will also depress resale values.

So any car that comes in, gets checked out for whether it's worth doing:
- High mileage (low eventual resale value) -> Scrap heap.
- Undesirable model / option / trim combination -> Scrap heap.
- Vehicle requires costly additional repairs over and above the "fix" -> Scrap heap. Repairs could be anything from un-doing hot-rodding to replacing a clogged DPF (if it isn't included in the "fix") to completing long-neglected maintenance to collision repair.

A vehicle that comes in modified - whether it's emissions-deleted or hot-rodded - is worth less than a stock one and it will cost something to put it back to stock. I suspect that any vehicle that comes in with a non-stock exhaust system goes to the junk pile. There will be lots more to pick from that aren't in that condition.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
I'm just going to drop mine off and hope for the best. Of course after removing hitch, panzer, and sigma 6. I have the DPF deleted as well as sold it, because I'm out of warranty anyways before the scandal hit and am now sitting near 90k miles.

I'm thinking they won't take the time to check everything, and if they do well then I guess I'll have to find one from a totaled tdi. I'm definitely doing buyback. I paid 17k plus tax and fees for my 2013 2 years ago and 50k miles ago. Buyback comes out 20500, which I will put towards a truck as I'm not steadily driving 20-30k miles a year now that I graduated college.

Also I kinda wanna little more for factory xenon lights. I'm sure those were a bit pricey even though I bought used.

Note: i'm not collecting on the 2011 on fuelly as it was totaled a few months before picking up 2013. Which my insurance also gave me more than I paid for the 2011. So all in all, my TDi experience has been wonderful.

Last edited:

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
What if your HPFP decided to commit suicide a few months prior to the buyback? The car is no longer "operable"...

I have a delete and a tune, I was going to throw back the original emissions equipment and just sell my downpipe and exhaust. Now the car is dead with what I'm pretty sure is a bad pump...I'm well out of warranty.

I've been a TDI guy for nearly 20 years but I'm throwing in the towel at this point and I'd like to do the buyback option. Now I'm unsure how to proceed...I don't want to spend the time/money to replace the HPFP at my own expense just to sell the car back to VW in a few months...but I also don't want to keep it. It's been decent over the span of nearly 200k, but every problem it does have is either expensive, complex, or both. Great car overall, but I'm tired of it.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Your car with a dead pump isn't worth much right now, you're probably still better off fixing it and then turning it in.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I ran numbers for a 2009 which does not run on "webuyanycar.com"

they start at $105 if you get it to their location.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
What if your HPFP decided to commit suicide a few months prior to the buyback? The car is no longer "operable"...
This is what I'm afraid of. I feel like I am driving a time bomb. I want to park it and buy a different car but I don't have enough cash and I'm not taking out a loan, so I guess I have to risk it. I wish this process was moving faster.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG

I have a delete and a tune, I was going to throw back the original emissions equipment and just sell my downpipe and exhaust. Now the car is dead with what I'm pretty sure is a bad pump...I'm well out of warranty.

I've been a TDI guy for nearly 20 years but I'm throwing in the towel at this point and I'd like to do the buyback option. Now I'm unsure how to proceed...I don't want to spend the time/money to replace the HPFP at my own expense just to sell the car back to VW in a few months...but I also don't want to keep it. It's been decent over the span of nearly 200k, but every problem it does have is either expensive, complex, or both. Great car overall, but I'm tired of it.
Besides the custom stuff on the car, I swear there was a provision for cars in your situation with the HPFR blowing up before you could get the car back t them. Now, you may be out of a car until they start processing buybacks but I think they will take your car ESPECIALLY if inoperable because of their shady math skills that f't us on the HPFP. :( I'll have to look around but I think it's buried in the official response.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's quoted multiple times here that the car must be operable. Also excludes salvage titles. Haven't seen any accommodations for failed HPFP.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
Hey Indigo, want to throw me a new HPFP for my years of customer loyalty lol...since the tdiparts days!

I haven't seen any accomodations for failed HPFP either, and I have read the "operable" clause. Lets say someone breaks down on the way to the dealer (I know it's unlikely, just throwing out a scenario) for the buy back.

Usually when you see situations where proof of ownership and operability is in question, a title and proof that the vehicle has been insured/registered for x amount of time or up until you part ways with it. Mainly because who would insure/register a vehicle that can't be driven.

Guess it's just a ****ty situation for now.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think most of us did mods with our eyes wide open. I don't think there would be much crying and hand wringing from this crowd if deleted cars were excluded.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
Frankly anyone that took emissions equipment off of their car deserves what they do or Don't get from VW.....
I think I deserve a bit extra, we just improved upon what VW made and made quite well. ;)

I think most of us did mods with our eyes wide open. I don't think there would be much crying and hand wringing from this crowd if deleted cars were excluded.
I'll be crying, that is till I find a DPF to buy and put on. I'm sure they're out there, just hope that the people with them wouldn't start asking for an arm and leg.:eek:

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Just throwing this out there for comments.

If we, and that's a big IF, decide to go for the buyback, or are forced to surrender the car, do you think anyone in the process will notice that I have replaced the CP4 with a CP3?

The rest of the car is stock other than the RC tune.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If we, and that's a big IF, decide to go for the buyback, or are forced to surrender the car, do you think anyone in the process will notice that I have replace the CP4 with a CP3?
It might be good to swap it back in if you still have it.
If not, maybe find a fellow modder that would trade for it.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI

If we, and that's a big IF, decide to go for the buyback, or are forced to surrender the car, do you think anyone in the process will notice that I have replaced the CP4 with a CP3?

I doubt it'll be noticeable, idk how much into detail the dealers are going.

If they just do a quick observation and give a check we'll all be doing well. If they do an OBDII test then I'm not sure what they may think. I just wonder what all the details will be for the process.

It may be worth taking mod cars in as soon as possible, because the less experienced the dealers are at noticing mods the better we will be, also if they notice there's a fair amount of modded/deleted TDi's coming in VW may warn dealers of penalties for not catching the mods. Who knows.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Remember that dealer employees aren't doing the buyback paperwork. VW has hired a third party company to do that. Who knows if or how well they'll be trained. What I heard last week is if it runs, they'll take it.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
If they do an OBDII test then I'm not sure what they may think.
I emailed malone to ask about returning to stock ECU mapping.. they said it was possible but that VW would still be able to tell the car had been flashed someway/somehow. It'd run and act like totally stock but technically could be flagged as modified.

Not that this would necessarily be a disqualifier.. just info that I got from my tuner.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
I'm really curious as to how this will play out for tuned cars or cars that go down right before they're due in for buybacks.

I tried to purchased a HPFP this morning from two local dealers who have online stores...I was trying to get the discount online and then come in and use the dealer goodwill card to pay. Both places shot me down...I'd have to come in and use the card and pay full retail price.

Instead I'm just going to use a spare HPFP and water pump I have and just buy a timing belt and tensioner from the dealer to get the car back up.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Frankly anyone that took emissions equipment off of their car deserves what they do or Don't get from VW.....
And then there are those of us who never had nor have a desire to do a buyback anyways. If anything, maybe I can get a good deal on mod parts people have to take off now to return to stock (hint, I'm in the market for a CP3, 3" catback , and eventually a 6MT).

In fact, I'm thinking of selling my original exhaust system/EGR for someone who tossed theirs and need one to return to stock to complete the buyback.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
That's the way to do it. Trade your stock parts for their aftermarket parts.

If someone needs tires on a car they are not turning in (gassers, even) a person that just put new tires on the car they are turning in could swap with them for a little cash.

I have aftermarket headlights (Bi-Zenon projectors with LEDs, similar to Golfs) that I would like to sell before the car goes back. I've also got fog lights and a skid plate. VW has no use for them, so why waste it all?

What I would probably do, if the cars are going to be checked before being turned in, is go to the dealer and let them do the 2306 recall. That will wipe the tune, and should reset the count to not show it has been tuned.

I might have to do it before they do the "fix", should I choose to go that route. I guess we will have to see if they decide to care. That recall said that if your car is modified they would charge you to set it back to stock, but if it is merely tuned they just overwrite it.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I'll take all the aftermarket parts anyone is willing to trade, sell.. I see this as a boon for me.

I'd like to get some passat wheels and rims for my wife's 10 CC.. she needs new tires soon and her rims have seen better days.

Skid Plates, Short Shifters, Fuel Pump or 2Micron filter, so on and such forth I'll be happy to take.. if you intend to give your car back and its modified, let the community know and I bet you'll find a local willing to trade you OEM parts, and a little cash.. if you have good tires/rims trade those to a fellow Dubber before you give it back to VW.

Luckily those of us with a Tune and OEM Exhaust should just have to pay the shop fee to get our tunes re-programmed after we accept the fix..