What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Get at least 450K miles out of it. 291K to go!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Drive as is, or if not allowed, fix it . . . hell will freeze before I take a buyback on a not broken car . . .

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I selected option 3. However, I am kind of hoping for another option:

Let VW fix it + some compensation money

This depends on the conditions. A minimally intrusive fix and $5,000 would make me quite happy. An intrusive fix that results in serious loss of performance and/or mileage paired with $1,000 grand compensation, and I won't like that option.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I agree with mark, and give the compensation money to Rawtek and Malone.

Zapkat

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline
I'm with Mark, too. I love my car (not all of its quirks, admittedly). Fix it and compensate me for the loss in value, fuel economy and performance.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What do I want to do with my TDI? - I want to keep driving it.
What will I do with my TDI? - This depends entirely on what VW offers and how I feel at the time. I do not know what I will do and I will not know until my options are clear. My options are not anywhere close to clear at this time. VW might make me an offer that I would be foolish to decline, or they might make me an offer that is easy to ignore. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. This poll would probably be a lot more useful AFTER it is announced what VW/EPA/CARB/etc. has decided. For now it is just more speculation.

Last edited:

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah, sure it would be more useful then. But who cares? This forum is all just for kicks for the most part - people speculating, regaling others with their knowledge, just chatting - it's mostly just fun banter. We can run the poll again later, but for know, why not? Useful? Meh.

What will I do with my TDI? - This depends entirely on what VW offers and how I feel at the time. I do not know what I will do and I will not know until my options are clear. My options are not anywhere close to clear at this time. VW might make me an offer that I would be foolish to decline, or they might make me an offer that is easy to ignore. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. This poll would probably be a lot more useful AFTER it is announced what VW/EPA/CARB/etc. has decided. For now it is just more speculation.

mijdirtyjeep

TDI
13 jetta tdi
The only reason I selected choice #1 was my wife had already made up her mind made up on trading it in for a Q5 tdi or a Grand Cherokee diesel. That was the same month Dieselgate was announced and her car took a huge hit in the value department.

If it were my car, I would just keep it and drive it till the doors fell off the thing. I hate new cars and car shopping. Maybe that's why I still have my 03 Duramax that has just over 270k miles on it.

You know what they say about "happy wife l, happy life"!!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I chose #3. But I'm on the fence waiting to hear how vw will fix, buyback, compensate or whatever else that plan is.

Circuit

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Buyback + compensation so I can get into a 2013+ Allroad that I can then "ruin" with performance air suspension and huge wheels.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Drive it till it dies and get compensation. This was not a choice in the poll so did not vote, but is fair considering our vehicle loss in resale value. The compensation would cover future maintenance. Makes no sense to send these cars to the crusher, that doesn't help the environment.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Option 2 is preferred but it is contingent on having a bulletproof no-questions-asked unlimited warranty on whatever Rube Goldberg contraption it ends up being. The full text of the warranty has to be something like "you give us a car that has a check-engine light on, we give you back a car that doesn't have a check-engine light on." END.

If that doesn't happen then it's gonna be option 1.

dkemme

TDI
2013 TDI JSW; 2014 TDI Golf; 2014 TDI JSW
I had planned on driving the car for three years and then selling so I'm pretty lucky, might be selling to VW for my purchase price!

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
Take the money and drive. No way I am giving up my little red cash machine. I put 30 dollars in and 250 comes out. Bank the "generous compensation" drive this one another year or two, sell it and but a BMW 328d Wagon Xdrive.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
What will I do with my TDI? - This depends entirely on what VW offers and how I feel at the time. I do not know what I will do and I will not know until my options are clear.
Have Fun!
Don

Don, I'd been interested in your take on the GSW TSI 1.8 5M (if y'all are inclined to provide same)

ez

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Don, I'd been interested in your take on the GSW TSI 1.8 5M (if y'all are inclined to provide same)
I like the GSW, but I am afraid that I do not know enough about that 1.8L TSI to have an informed opinion about it. IF (big if, I hope) VW does not bring back any TDIs, I would also be interested in the opinions of the real experts about VW's other available engines.

Have Fun!

Don

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Option 2 is preferred but it is contingent on having a bulletproof no-questions-asked unlimited warranty on whatever Rube Goldberg contraption it ends up being. The full text of the warranty has to be something like "you give us a car that has a check-engine light on, we give you back a car that doesn't have a check-engine light on." END.

If that doesn't happen then it's gonna be option 1.
I agree. I don't have much confidence in a retrofit, especially after seeing the local dealer chase their tails while trying to fix the urea related issue in my coworker's Passat.

I've been dead set on trying to keep my car and have been considering deletes if the fix doesn't pan out. However, that defeats the reason I bought the car, to have a fun diesel that's 50 state legal. Given that I'm about to relocate to an area that performs emission checks, I would like a vehicle that will pass the checks without an issue.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My problem is that I don't think any of those three categories fit me very well, so I'm not voting in the poll. No. 1 would seem nice, if there were any alternatives I felt good about. But I have little love for the idea of a Passat TSI, and I suppose I fall into the camp of those who don't think there'll be any more new TDIs available, so......

brettsacto

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I consider myself very lucky and with fortunate timing. Last year my wife let me indulge my midlife crisis and buy a BMW 550i and she said "next year I want a 3 series."

Well, we sold her Honda to a family member and she got the TDI. I got my CPO 550i with the understanding that next year she got her new car.

One week later - the diesel fubar scandal pops up. We took early advantage of the $1k care package (still looking for a way to use up the $500 dealer credit!), and we're at 110k on the clock this month - timing the timing belt (yeah, bad pun) down to the wire.

With her 90 mile a day commute - she'll hit the timing belt service right as we're about to exit the car and dump it back on VW.

We will sell off the car to VW once the process allows - we'll get paid well - and it will go to her new 328d xDrive.

I don't have loyalty to VW. It was the second I owned, they are fun to drive - but problematic (2 gas tank replacements and one transmission on my Passat W8 should have taught me). She liked the TDI compared to the Ford Focus of the time - so we knew she'd get the VW eventually.

I will say this has been the most economical car we've ever owned once the buyout is complete.

The only thing that could make it better is if BMW brought back the 335d, but we'll count our blessings.

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
It's a goner.... bad turbo's, HPFP failures, plugged DPF, Failed DEF Heaters and now an albatross...

2.0 Tsi CC.... I'll take my changes on a bad manifold.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Too bad there isn't a 4th...
Looks like folks will get $$ to get their car fixed....an incentive to get it done...

Honestly.....I'm going to do the math....
I really like my 2015....and they might be the simplest of all to fix...with the least reduction in usability.
But if they offer a buyback at almost what I paid for it now it has 1+ years use....hard too pass up...free car for a year.... especially if they offer an extra $....
But if they offer $2500 cash (already got $1000 effectively), and a fix, witch for the EA-288 seems to be simple from what I am hearing...AND they start selling 2016 and or 2017 cars diesel cars...might make more sense too keep it....
Gotta see the numbers...weigh the risks...
If they offer the fix and $$, but don't sell future diesel's...I might be incline to sell it...servicing might become a nightmare even if some hardcore folks might want to "stock up" and buy a spare...lol.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
In order to agree to any " fix" I would have to know what kind of warranty would go along with it and what kind of hit as far as performance/FE.
texsize

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.....Zippy from NH and this sailor share - essentially - the same page:

Ain't no doubt in my mind - my JSW TDI 6M is Me! But this emissions thing, the 23k PSI fuel pump (plus somewhat lower-in-priority morality issue.............................

The TSI GSW 1.8 gas turbo with the 5M looms larger and larger. We shall see.

ez

VtdiW

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Voted for & leaning towards buyback.

Love the car, but too many repairs for me to think about keeping it. DPF replaced at 105k. A few electric water pumps, some electrical shorts. If diesels are out of VW's future, it will be even worse getting it serviced .

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I agree with ATR:

I chose #3. But I'm on the fence waiting to hear how VW will fix, buyback, compensate or whatever else the plan is.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
I'm in the buyback with additional compensation camp. I bought my TDI to drive for work in order to keep the miles down on my thirsty Touareg V8. A change in jobs that has me flying more than driving means that I can sell my Golf back and use that money towards a boat.

thedagem

TDI
2014 VW Jetta
I had an issue with my car. The way a friend of mine put it, I could replace some of the emissions stuff on my car, or just remove it. I had German diesel motorwerks do the egr and dpf delete for me. Since then, I've noticed a great increase in power and mpg. I do however know that I'm not doing the world any favors with my exhaust. I live in PA, what I did is totally legal here, and I stand by what I did. One of the things I do to try and lower my emissions is run bio diesel which a friend of mine makes. The car runs great on it! Hardly notice a difference really. But what are other people doing? What are some of the things I can do to raise my mpg and lower my emissions? Now that my car is essentially worthless, I'd like to run it into the ground and have a clean conscience about it.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Legal? Uh no way, no how . . . . the laws are *Federal*, so the fact that your state does not test means exactly nothing to legality (although it does make it harder to get caught).