If VW buys back your JSW, what will you replace it with?

CruzinMomma

TDI
'14 JSW TDI DSG
The Mazda 3 looks good! And the Mazda 6 rivals the Passat in rear legroom. :)
Mazda 6 is very ... clunky to me. I test drove one for a day. I felt like I was sitting right in the windshield, and it felt like too heavy of a vehicle. Not enough torque maybe?
I didn't look in to the specs. I hated sitting in it and my kids hated sitting in it.

I don't know why the Mazda 3 didn't come on my radar when I was shopping. Hmmm. Probably because I had already tested a 6MT jetta. :D

mainer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta | 10 JSW
Has anyone looked into the 328d wagon?

I'm in the same place as most people. The sportwagon is exactly what I want/need. but is coming up on some maintenance that I don't really want to do.

Besides the price difference I haven't found a down side to the BMW? Does anyone know anything about them? or have one?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Even Audi did this in the Q3 though its a little less obvious than the Mazda one. I'm guessing that the 2017 Q3 will have this "tablet" retract into the dash like BMW X1 does.

The more I look at Q3s, the more I like them. If having to consider this buyback fiasco, I'll take the hit in MPG and cruise away in one of those bad boys.
Almost forgot about those. The Q3 is also on my radar.

Mazda 6 is very ... clunky to me. I test drove one for a day. I felt like I was sitting right in the windshield, and it felt like too heavy of a vehicle. Not enough torque maybe?
I didn't look in to the specs. I hated sitting in it and my kids hated sitting in it.
I don't know why the Mazda 3 didn't come on my radar when I was shopping. Hmmm. Probably because I had already tested a 6MT jetta. :D
Yeah they don't have the twist of our tdi engines. On the plus side if you give them a good boot of the gas peddle they do take off pretty good :D

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm the one down on the CVTs, due to the JSW's predecessor, a 2005 Nissan Murano. The CVT felt in that car felt like a rubber band, and then cost over $5,000 to fix when it went at 130,000 miles-- and only a Nissan dealer could do it. Overall, I just didn't see any benefit to it at all.

rzbill

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
I'm the one down on the CVTs, due to the JSW's predecessor, a 2005 Nissan Murano. The CVT felt in that car felt like a rubber band, and then cost over $5,000 to fix when it went at 130,000 miles-- and only a Nissan dealer could do it. Overall, I just didn't see any benefit to it at all.
Don't think I ever drove a Murano. I think I would have same opinion if I had same experience as you. I heard Sube was reprogramming their cvt to give it "shiftpoints" for the masses. Stupid. While it feels weird, the whole point is to allow the engine to reach torque peak quickly and stay there during hard accel. Ours is a 2013 and I have not driven a newer one yet to confirm that rumor. One nice feature was the MPG of the CVT is way better than the manual gearbox we had, on a bigger car too.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
That's essentially the beef I have with all automatics. They can be very expensive to fix, and of all of the cars I have ever owned, two had automatics, and both had "issues".

One might ask about the cost of clutch replacement, but I seem to be able to get at least 180K miles on a factory clutch, and in fact I have never had to replace one. By the time I am contemplating selling a car, it is probably getting a little thin (and I disclose that), but it is still very driveable.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I heard Sube was reprogramming their cvt to give it "shiftpoints" for the masses. Stupid. While it feels weird, the whole point is to allow the engine to reach torque peak quickly and stay there during hard accel.
Toyota does this with their Corolla 1.8, too. I had one as a rental car. I didn't even realize it was a CVT initially, due to the simulated 'gears.' It got an actual calculated 38mpg mostly highway, and while it was no barn-burner, it had more pep than I expected. Hated the rest of the car, though.

As an engineer, I'm O.K. with a CVT operating as it should -- continuously variably. But I've read a lot of reviews, and they almost always criticize the transmission because it doesn't 'feel' like it should. The "engine drones", "a lot of noise and little go".... But it's a perception issue only. So I see why they added the fake shift points.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Sooo... today I test drove several cars (all had automatic transmissions and moonroofs):
BMW 328I & 528i. Both used with xdrive.
Mazda 3 hatchback 2.5s
Subaru Forrester.

All the cars were driven along the same route.

So my takeaway is this...

Automatic transmissions:
the bmw 8 speed automatic transmission was the best of the bunch.

The Mazda almost seemed like the automatic was holding it back a little. It was tolerable. Switch to sport mode however and it lives up immensely! It also had flappy peddles on the steering wheel so I could easily go up or down in whatever drive mode I was in. For instance descending a steep grade, it's easy to downshift and hold the gear.

The surprise of the bunch was the subaru Forrester's CVT. Off the line acceleration was a tad lacking, however, once it got moving and into the power band it really seemed to have some nice go juice! Also once underway it seemed to go right for the exact power band that was requested. It's a transmission I could live with, however I missed the hill decend features of the other cars.

Ride and steering quality:
Alright, I'll say this right off the bat, the bmw 328I was probably the worst of the bunch. The suspension seemed to crash and boom loudly going over two bumps of the route and overall was just not fun to ride or drive. Steering effort was light and pretty effortless. This led to the numb feeling of the wheel. The good news is that steering input was pretty sharp and you could feel what the car was doing under you.

528i had the m styling package. So the steering wheel felt more substantial. Steering was numb here as well, however the car seemed better built and put together. Ride quality and handling was the best of the bunch with a nicely balanced comfort & sport feel to the overall package. Certainly something that I wouldn't mind taking on a long trip. It handled the two crazy bumps quite well.

Subaru Forrester had one of my favorite overall ride of the bunch. It handled the bumpy part of the route with aplomb. The downside was the steering seemed the most numb of the group. The upside was that steering input was very sharp and felt very lively and light on it's feet. Granted it wasn't as sharp as the bimmers, but I felt for was it is it was fantastic.

The Mazda 3 was my favorite of the cars for steering wheel feedback and overall handling. You could really feel what the car was doing and put the car right where you wanted it. Ride details were that it felt on part with the gti for that perfect balance of sport and comfort. Turn sport mode on and the car just comes alive! The suspension firms up a good bit really good for carving those back roads with the best of them!

The final part of my review is headroom, legroom and cargo room:
The bmws seemed to have the best room for taller drivers like myself. Even with the sunroof I had sufficient headroom the 528 had a bit more room overall and felt better and more comfortable. Cargo room was on part with most sedans.

The Subaru Forrester's seat really could have come down 2-3 more inches, however it had just enough headroom that it wasn't too big a deal. Legroom was also quite good. Cargo area was the Forrester's best attribute. It's massive!

The Mazda with the sunroof really killed headroom. It was the worst of the bunch for hedroom. Legroom however was on part with my vw golf. Though it's still a little closer than I like. FWIW a Mazda 3 without the sunroof helps immensely in the headroom department. Cargo room was better than the bimmers, however I'd say that thanks to the steeply sloped rear windshield it doesn't quite have the cargo area of the golf/gti.

Please note I'm 6'4" so I have always had issues fitting in many cars. Hopefully this helps those that are also tall.

Conclusions:
If I needed the cargo room the Forrester would be at the top of my list. It's massive in there! Heck, overall I liked it the most of the bunch. But I'd get the base model with manual transmission to avoid the headroom issues I had. I like the Mazda 3 quite a bit too. Though it looks like it's a no go for getting the 2.5l engine without the sunroof. I'd check out the 2.0 with manual too. I liked the bmws, however I don't think any of them really offer everything I'm looking for. True they are great driving cars, but the more recent bimmers lost a bit of their DNA in favor of blending with the crowd. No thanks.

My takeaway from this:
All that said the VW Golf/GTI seem to offer the headroom, legroom & cargo room that I need. They also have fantastic driving dynamics and ride quality. It'd be a tough choice between the Mazda 3 hatchback and Subaru Forrester if both cars didn't have a sunroof. They are both fantastic cars! The 3 has a more upmarket interior and sound system. The one knock I have on it (other than the headroom issues) is that the road noise is a bit higher than every car I've tested recently. That's both good and bad. Good because it makes you more aware of the surroundings. Bad because sometimes I like having a quiet interior on long trips.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Owner of an '09 JSW TDI with a few comments and a question.
Wow, I'm surprised by the responses. A lot of them cost significantly more than a sportwagen tdi (alltrack, ram 1500, tesla, etc.) A lot of them don't get the mileage of a tdi. A lot of them don't have the space of a tdi. I guess the question was/is "what would you get" rather than "what would you get that's an equivalent"
I need space and mileage. Around the same price. Pretty much narrows it down to some type of wagon suv.
a) Prius V (more space than a tdi; can get the current model #2 new for about $22k)
b) Kia Niro (not yet out but should get > 50mpg)
Not a whole lot of other options that I see.
One thing about the Prius not often mentioned - It also makes a pretty good emergency generator.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/30/these-kits-turn-your-prius-into-an-emergency-generator/
I am beginning to think my JSW is irreplaceable.
Just made a quick trip to Fl. & back .
Carried all tools down (200 lbs.) Avg. speed 68.6 . Avg. mpg. 46.8 for the
596 mi.
In Fl. loaded a 6'step ladder + 8' box. Did job.
Same #'s as above for mph & mpg from Fl. to TN
Same trip with Dmax would have been in 14-15 mpg range @ the 68.6 mph.
Which would have been 3x the fuel
BTW. 68.6 mph avg. includes going thru 3 major cities. Times on interstate was over posted limit (140KPH) for a few hrs.
(sidenote) I did not see a single TDI on interstates. I usually see or pass 3-6 each trip
I just did similar DC to NE Mississippi and back. Much worse mileage though, but I've a Thule skybox that is about as long as the passenger compartment/trunk. Also I went up a size on tires and have not adjusted the odometer. (On the plus side the trip is about 30 miles shorter :) )
I carry about 300 lbs of tools etc. And got about 40mpg.
This JSW is essential to my lifestyle.
My other "trip" vehicle is a Ford F350 dually, and I tow a 12k GVW trailer down, slowly moving my household. Only gets about 13MPG, but HAULS up to 5 tons of "stuff".
Now a question - since it seems VW may buyback at September, 2015 Blue Book price does anyone have a link to such a price sheet?
Since I'm moving to Mississippi and there is no car inspection or emissions to worry about I'm thinking it might be a good time to buy a spare JSW or two.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Sooo... today I test drove several cars (all had automatic transmissions and moonroofs):
BMW 328I & 528i. Both used with xdrive.
Mazda 3 hatchback 2.5s
Subaru Forrester.
That's quite the hodge-podge of cars.

The Forester was a car I wish I could like. I really like the huge glass area....I like that panoramic view feeling. But the interior is cheap-ish, and the big one for me is the seats. The cushions were too short. I'm surprised at 6'4" you weren't complaining about that one. The Outback doesn't have the same outward visibility, but the seats are more supportive.

Dunno which Forester you test drove, but the 2.0XT is supposed to be pretty darn zippy. 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Mileage takes a dive, though.

Quiet interior is a major consideration for me, too. Reading reviews kept the Mazda3 off my list. Otherwise, it'd be a consideration. They're stealing Audi's styling with the thin dash, nozzle air outlets, and popped-up center screen (pop-up on Audi, fixed on Mazda.)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That's quite the hodge-podge of cars.
The Forester was a car I wish I could like. I really like the huge glass area....I like that panoramic view feeling. But the interior is cheap-ish, and the big one for me is the seats. The cushions were too short. I'm surprised at 6'4" you weren't complaining about that one. The Outback doesn't have the same outward visibility, but the seats are more supportive.
Dunno which Forester you test drove, but the 2.0XT is supposed to be pretty darn zippy. 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Mileage takes a dive, though.
Quiet interior is a major consideration for me, too. Reading reviews kept the Mazda3 off my list. Otherwise, it'd be a consideration. They're stealing Audi's styling with the thin dash, nozzle air outlets, and popped-up center screen (pop-up on Audi, fixed on Mazda.)
Yep, the seats aren't long enough in 99% of the cars I've tested out. Bmw's sport package seats add the thigh extender. Many of the "s" audis add thigh extentions as well. Pretty much every other car have seat bottoms too short. The only other cars that I've been in that are decent are my own mkvi golf tdi the gti and a couple other german cars.

If it has a sunroof it's a big NO. I sat in a focus st with a sunroof and felt the legroom and headroom were both quite poor for me. Iirc legroom needed a good 2-3 more inches to make me comfortable. The fusion isn't too bad for me.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Yeah they [Mazda 6] don't have the twist of our tdi engines. On the plus side if you give them a good boot of the gas peddle they do take off pretty good :D
We own a Mazda CX-5. Their Skyactiv automatics are among the best I've ever driven, particularly given the price range of the vehicles.
They're adaptave - they learn your driving style - a plus for an individual driver though possibly not for multiple drivers with different levels of enthusiasm. Additionally, downshift response is dependent on the rate of movement of the go pedal, among other things.
ATR is right. Road noise is higher than in some of the competition. Most however, don't even come close to having zoom-zoom dynamics.
Having driven VW diesels from 1977-on, we find the CX-5 to be pretty quiet. :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
We own a Mazda CX-5. Their Skyactiv automatics are among the best I've ever driven, particularly given the price range of the vehicles.
They're adaptave - they learn your driving style - a plus for an individual driver though possibly not for multiple drivers with different levels of enthusiasm. Additionally, downshift response is dependent on the rate of movement of the go pedal, among other things.
ATR is right. Road noise is higher than in some of the competition. Most however, don't even come close to having zoom-zoom dynamics.
As noted a few posts ago I really liked the overall feel of the Mazda!

The saleman said it very well, it's the most German feeling car to ever come out of Japan...

And having driven a couple of German bimmers just a hour or so before I must agree! I really like the mazda lineup. The only hurdle that they need to overcome is how they'll feel on a long roadtrip.

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
Has anyone looked into the 328d wagon?

I'm in the same place as most people. The sportwagon is exactly what I want/need. but is coming up on some maintenance that I don't really want to do.

Besides the price difference I haven't found a down side to the BMW? Does anyone know anything about them? or have one?
I'd love a BMW wagon, but finding a used one with a manual is a tedious nationwide search, and new ones are automatic only. Buying cars in the US sucks.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd love a BMW wagon, but finding a used one with a manual is a tedious nationwide search, and new ones are automatic only. Buying cars in the US sucks.
You won't find a diesel BMW wagon with a manual transmission at all here. That said the automatic transmission in the bimmers is one of the best I've tested. The three drive modes "Eco, Comfort, Sport" all do their job very well for their intended purpose. I'd leave it in comfort most times, and sport when I'm blazing a canyon road :D :cool:

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
Diesel isn't a requirement for me, but a manual is; a "good" automatic is still an automatic and I won't touch it. A range of legitimate priorities have been expressed in this thread, but my own are that I don't want driving modes, predictive shifting based on learned habits, or anything like that. I just want to row my gears in peace, without computer intervention. This situation is full of unknowns, but the only thing I am absolutely certain of at present is that nothing is going to get me into a car with an automatic transmission of any kind. I'll abandon MPG, cargo capacity, anything before my clutch pedal. That being said...

I forget exactly when, but BMW stopped offering manuals on their wagons a while ago, and the used selection is very slim. They're out there, but you have to want it badly enough to conduct a nationwide search, with all of the expense and logistics that entails. In all likelihood I'd end up in a GTI or Mazda3 (or, less likely, one of the three-box cars I mentioned) before that happened. If I was looking for a buyback replacement and stumbled upon a used 3-series wagon with a manual in the right place and time, though? It could definitely happen, especially if it's an E46, but the odds of ending up in that situation are low.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Diesel isn't a requirement for me, but a manual is; a "good" automatic is still an automatic and I won't touch it. A range of legitimate priorities have been expressed in this thread, but my own are that I don't want driving modes, predictive shifting based on learned habits, or anything like that. I just want to row my gears in peace, without computer intervention. This situation is full of unknowns, but the only thing I am absolutely certain of at present is that nothing is going to get me into a car with an automatic transmission of any kind. I'll abandon MPG, cargo capacity, anything before my clutch pedal. That being said...
I know exactly where you are coming from on that! I bought every car I've owned for the same reason primarily. The other reason I like manual transmissions is they are generally more reliable and cost less to maintain. Especially true for German cars in general.

I forget exactly when, but BMW stopped offering manuals on their wagons a while ago, and the used selection is very slim. They're out there, but you have to want it badly enough to conduct a nationwide search, with all of the expense and logistics that entails. In all likelihood I'd end up in a GTI or Mazda3 (or, less likely, one of the three-box cars I mentioned) before that happened. If I was looking for a buyback replacement and stumbled upon a used 3-series wagon with a manual in the right place and time, though? It could definitely happen, especially if it's an E46, but the odds of ending up in that situation are low.
I don't know if it's a option for you, however I know that bmw did make both the x3 and x5 with manual transmissions. I know they were a option in the mid 2000's. A quick search on autotrader shows roughly 100 x3s & x5s nationwide.

I'm honestly thinking the gti will be my next car if the buyback happens. Mainly because it has the extra head & legroom I need. The Mazda 3 is a possibility as well if I could get it with the 2.5 & manual without the headroom sapping sunroof.

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
I don't know if it's a option for you, however I know that bmw did make both the x3 and x5 with manual transmissions. I know they were a option in the mid 2000's. A quick search on autotrader shows roughly 100 x3s & x5s nationwide.
Unfortunately not; I can't get with crossovers at all. The Q3 was mentioned earlier, and I was parked next to one today so I took a minute to look it over. It's just too... tall.

I'm honestly thinking the gti will be my next car if the buyback happens. Mainly because it has the extra head & legroom I need. The Mazda 3 is a possibility as well if I could get it with the 2.5 & manual without the headroom sapping sunroof.
Unless I can convince myself to lose the hatch religion, this is probably where I will be, too, minus the headroom concerns. I actually wouldn't have minded a sunroof on my JSW, but several people warned me off of the pano roof for a number of reasons.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I know exactly where you are coming from on that! I bought every car I've owned for the same reason primarily. The other reason I like manual transmissions is they are generally more reliable and cost less to maintain. Especially true for German cars in general.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The CX5 is at the top of out lost of we are looking at a new SUV

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
About manual/auto transmissions, we actually have 2 JSW TDIs. Mine is manual, hers is DSG. Driving the DSG is fun and it feels quicker than my 6-speed. It's great for driving the hills in SF. It's a beautiful match with the torque curve of the TDI. But when I have a choice, I always choose my car. I think I prefer the more "involved" driving experience of the manual. I enjoy driving.

That's why it's a such a deal-breaker for me. If I want/need to drive an auto, there's the wife's car.

I'm guessing now that VW will work to getting their EA288's re-approved for sale about the time a buyback is offered to make easy for us to slide into another VW TDI. I'd do it. Just get me the manual that isn't a strippo.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
That's good to hear. My company is in the running for some Tesla business, and I was worried about pulling the trigger on a 2016 GTI 6M if I might/could be going out to Palo Alto for a stint. I was concerned about driving a manual over there.

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Here in Canada, we've heard nothing official yet (VW Canada is notoriously tight-lipped, even to the dealers) about a buyout - but my dealer says it'll happen at some point.
What would I replace my 2011 JSW with?? I'm hoping to get 13-15K in a trade-in, plus 5K from VW.....and if VW wants my business again, they'll have to suck it up and further "incentivize" me by cutting the cost of a new Golf 1.8 TSI by a couple of grand as well. That's the bare minimum starter for me not going and looking at a CX5 or Forester/Outback.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Nothing here, either. And the moderators will probably lock this thread and point us to 'threadzilla'. But long story short is that on April 21, the veiled statement seemed to imply a buy-back or fix 'if possible''. I don't think a fix of the non-DEF TDIs is possible. We are to stay tuned on June 21, when the information will be release. Until then, the U.S. judge has a gag order in place.

I pre-emptively bought a GTI at a good price, and am gambling that VW will give us "pre-scandal fair-market value", plus possibly a bit of an incentive. My TDI has a flaky exhaust flap (2nd one), may be due for brakes any day, DPF is getting full, and I don't want to spend maintenance money on it if I can avoid it.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
My MIL got rid of her truck. I now need a truck. Looking at a 2015-16 Ford F150 four door 2 wheel drive. 2.7. 19/26.

I can live with that on a full sized truck.