'10 Jetta Won't Start, Thought & Opinions

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So, I think I've had the ridiculous intercooler icing issue yet again, but this time was a little different.

I haven't driven the car in about a week because we got about 10" of snow, the temps were in the low teens and twenties the last time I drove the car. Fast forward to today and we're looking at high 40's, low 50's so I decided to take the car for a spin. I get in and she cranks right up, runs for about one second and then dies. Great. I try cranking again and it tries to turn over, gets maybe half a revolution and then doesn't do anything. I try one more time and the same thing happened, only this time the glow plug light started flashing on the dashboard and I got a message that said "check (or maybe service) engine now."

Obviously I'm fed up with this issue. I will be deleting my DPF and EGRs which I'm told will permanently fix the issue, but that doesn't help me right now. I plan on having the car towed to my closest Volkswagen dealer tomorrow but I'd like to know if I'm correct in my assumption that the water has completely frozen in the intercooler piping preventing the car from cranking. If that is the case, what can and should my dealer do?

Thanks in advance.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Just a little update...

It is the icing issue for sure. I got in it this morning after I got home from work and tried to crank it and she cranked for a half a second and then stopped. I didn't try again because I don't want to damage the engine.

So, I called my local VW dealer with all the information, ask about the TSB fix and they tell me that all they can do is replace the intercooler and piping with a new and improved unit for around $1200. Not exactly happy with that answer so I call VWoA and let them know what is happening. Half an hour later after explaining the hard starts I've had, all the research I've done and all the symptoms of the car, they tell me that I'm basically out of luck. It isn't a big enough issue to recall any cars and my car has too many miles on it (97K as of this morning) for them to help me eat any of the intercooler cost.

So, I call my dealership back and ask if they can simply place the car on a lift, remove the intercooler piping and see if there is ice/water. I was told that since I haven't brought the car to them and they don't know the service history (I have all the records the previous owner had, along with everything I've done in the 10K miles I've owned it, which I offered to bring to them) that they will first need to diagnose the car for $99.

I said that is fine, however I really am not comfortable with the car being cranked over when I am 99% sure there is water that can be ingested into the engine. I asked if when they diagnose and crank the car, if it decides to hydrolock and destroy my engine am I going to be on the line for a new engine? I was told yes.

Whoever I talked to is currently talking to the service manager to see if he will allow them to put the car on a lift and remove the intercooler piping before a "proper" diagnostic job, I told them I have absolutely no problem paying for the labor, I just don't want a damaged engine.

The dealer is supposed to be calling me back in a few minutes, hopefully with good news...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Good luck with educating them. And continue to hold your line. Actually, I'd want to be with the car when they open it up, and before I hand them the key.