Particulate Filter replacement $$

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
The actual language in the 2009 maintenance book is:
Diesel particulate filter: Check
To me that's no different than the maintenance schedule telling you to check the tires every 20k miles, v-belt every 40k miles, CV boots every 40k miles, battery every 20k miles, brake pads every 10k miles and so forth.

It's unlikely that any of those maintanence items labeled "check" will need replaced at the initial check period.

And bruce846, you realize it's against the law to tamper with emissions equipment like removing it.;)

There was a recent thread showing the current cost of the DPF at $2900. So, $4k with labor wouldn't suprise me at this time. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2825951&postcount=17

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
And bruce846, you realize it's against the law to tamper with emissions equipment like removing it.;)

I think I'm not the one you neeed to direct this comment to!

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Only time will tell how long the DPF's last. Who has the highest mileage 2009 out there?

The manual does say check at 120k miles, then every 10k thereafter. Then after the first replacement to replace every 120k miles.

The latest price I found online (genuine VW part) is $840.00 with a $100 core charge.

I would NOT remove the DPF! Why you ask?
Well two reasons... The first is VW designed the LP EGR (Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system to pull exhaust gas after the DPF. The recirculated exhaust gas is then routed back to the INPUT of your turbos air compressor. Borg Warner manufactured the turbo out of specific metals, and special coatings to be able to handle the fairly harsh environment. I would bet it would be a bad idea to allow the particulate (which the DPF normally collects) flow through the air intake side of your turbocharger.

Second reason is the exhaust system has pressure, differential pressure, and temperature sensors that would need to be fooled into thinking the DPF is still there operating normally. So its not as easy as just pulling the DPF out.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
UberVW_TDI said:
The latest price I found online (genuine VW part) is $840.00 with a $100 core charge.
Though this is not a bargain, I'm actually surprised at how little this costs. Some had been floating the $4K number around, which is just absurd.

I can only imagine as the CBEA gets a little age, this part will go down in price a bit.

Timing belt and possible DPF replacement for probably around $2K does make for a really expensive 120K service. That's an extra 1.6 cents per mile one has to figure in.

flatout

TDI
2009 JETTA
What is the procedure for checking the DPF? What is the criteria for replacement?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
flatout said:
What is the procedure for checking the DPF? What is the criteria for replacement?
My Bentley service manual talks about "check ash loading" every 120,000 miles and replace DPF when necessary. There is a measuring block you can look at with VCDS (or the dealer's tester) called oil ash quantity. I could be off a little in that name, I'm not looking at Vag-Com at the moment, but I suspect that this is what they will be checking. I have no idea if this is a measured quantity, or a modeled (calculated) quantity. It might also be possible to measure the pressure differential across the DPF after a re-gen and determine ash loading.

The whole truth is that nobody has yet put 120,000 miles on one of these new "clean diesels", so we are really just guessing how VW (and others) will handle this when the time comes. If you are one of those people who put 50k miles per year on your car - you can tell us what happens at 120k miles in a year or so. If you are one of those people who only put 15k miles per year on your car - stay tuned right here, and one of those in the first group will tell us all about what happens. This engine's control and emissions systems are new technology (at least here in NA) and only time will tell the whole story.

Have Fun!

Don

Sundowner

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
dzcad90 said:
Though this is not a bargain, I'm actually surprised at how little this costs. Some had been floating the $4K number around, which is just absurd.

I can only imagine as the CBEA gets a little age, this part will go down in price a bit.

Timing belt and possible DPF replacement for probably around $2K does make for a really expensive 120K service. That's an extra 1.6 cents per mile one has to figure in.
or VW abandons/supersedes the technology and sticks us with an expensively obsolete part :D

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
bruce846 said:
Anyone interested in a great graphical presentation on TDI should navigate over to this page and wait for it to load, then click on 2.0l 2007 or 2008, sit back enjoy the music and see what's going on under your hood. I know it says Audi, but same engine and tech.

http://www.audi-tdi-chronicle.com/start.php
Thanks for the link, cool site.

pedro5604

TDI
Jetta 2009
Dpf

I own a jetta 2009 with 138k and no issues with my dpf (knock on wood)

My Bentley service manual talks about "check ash loading" every 120,000 miles and replace DPF when necessary. There is a measuring block you can look at with VCDS (or the dealer's tester) called oil ash quantity. I could be off a little in that name, I'm not looking at Vag-Com at the moment, but I suspect that this is what they will be checking. I have no idea if this is a measured quantity, or a modeled (calculated) quantity. It might also be possible to measure the pressure differential across the DPF after a re-gen and determine ash loading.

The whole truth is that nobody has yet put 120,000 miles on one of these new "clean diesels", so we are really just guessing how VW (and others) will handle this when the time comes. If you are one of those people who put 50k miles per year on your car - you can tell us what happens at 120k miles in a year or so. If you are one of those people who only put 15k miles per year on your car - stay tuned right here, and one of those in the first group will tell us all about what happens. This engine's control and emissions systems are new technology (at least here in NA) and only time will tell the whole story.

Have Fun!

Don

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
I have 94K miles and recently checked the ash loading and it was about 93 ml. I believe I read that 240 ml is max allowable. This would be at about 240K miles.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
I haven't heard of one wearing out from old age yet. A few defectives ones changed under warranty, but none dead of natural causes. I assume that when we get enough miles on TDIs for this to be a problem, there will be an after market fix. D&W diesel is chomping at the bit for some of this work, sending out mailers to TDI owners.

Kenn JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
One thing to consider is that the high mileage cars should also be the ones with low ash loading for their mileage. If they get lots of miles on them quickly, that means, most likely, lots of highway driving and minimal short trips. That would seem perfect for low ash buildup. So cars driven less might have to have DPFs changed out at lower miles. Hopefully, 120K will pretty much be the minimum that they'll last.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
One question for those guys who have after-market exhaust systems (DPF delete) and Malone Tune… what harm, if any, will there be with the turbo, EGR, etc. ??

From what I hear, they are seeing increased MPG, increased HP, and it's "easier" on the engine.

Not true??

Sad thing for 2009 owners if they want to keep their car for any length of time is to spend $5000 for a DPF replacement, OR... DPF delete + tune for about half the cost.

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
Ash is anything that will not burn. Regeneration will not burn ash. Highway miles has nothing to do with it. The wrong oil, compromised air filter, and dirty or high sulfur fuel can contribute to excessive ash build up. If all is as good as it can be, it seems the accumulation is about 1 ml per 1,000 miles.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
I'm currently at 280,500 miles, had the DPF replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles, which means I've got 255,500 on the current DPF. Do not have VCDS but plan to have dealer check ash load when I go in for service within the next couple weeks. Will let you all know what I find out.

limbwalker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I discovered that my DPF had failed (cracked) before the 120K mark.

Private mechanic told me he thought he could get the replacement parts for about $900, plus his labor (not sure what that would have been) to replace it. Dealership told me $1700-1900 in parts, plus their labor (approx. $700-900) to replace it.

Having had mine fail before the scheduled inspection threshold, I would have been very reluctant to replace it. Had I decided to keep the car, I would have had it deleted.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm currently at 280,500 miles, had the DPF replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles, which means I've got 255,500 on the current DPF. Do not have VCDS but plan to have dealer check ash load when I go in for service within the next couple weeks. Will let you all know what I find out.
Nice! Any other problems you have had?

mortimersnerd

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Wait, what? How in the world did you rack up that kind of mileage in 4 years?