Official "I encountered a Hybrid pace car" thread

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
If the Mods here will give their blessing, this thread should be where we all come to vent our frustrations about on road encounters with people who buy a Hybrid vehicle then assume it's up to them and them alone to save us all from ourselves.

First of all it's not everyone who owns a hybrid who act this way. I have a dear friend who owns one and he drives it like he's mad at it.

He never sits in the hammer lane of the freeway at 54 mph.

He never does the shimmy sham shuffle lane to lane changing stuff between traffic lights, trying to control all 2 or 3 lanes of a busy road.

He does not play the hyper-miling game at the expense of others time.

So tell us what you have encountered at the hands of a Hybrid owner out there on the roads of America or elsewhere in the world.

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
TBH, every time I encounter them, I never notice them hyper-miling. I've never seen any gun it when the light turns green either.

My experience has been that they are no more annoying than the average driver.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Where can I rant about the poor driving habits of SUV, minivan, pickup truck, big rig, motorcycle, delivery truck, bus, sedan, coupe... and yes, even TDI... drivers?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think idiots are just idiots, makes no difference what they drive. However, it does seem a high ratio of Prius drivers are in that catagory of slowing down traffic.

Every day I blow past 4 cars that stand out as being a menace. Interstate 44, outside STL, speed limit is 70. Most folks are doing 75+, with some even doing over 80. Now while these same 4 cars are always in the right lane, they are going SO SLOW that even those obeying the speed limit find them to get in the way.

1990ish Geo Metro, red, easily doing less than 60 and it has these dim little tail lamps that often allow him to get run up on in a hurry.

1st gen Honda Insight (with Illinois plates, going TOWARDS IL, in the morning, this is a common scam to dodge MO property taxes... his plate reads "67 MPG"). Not sure how slow he is going, but I know I have passed him in 4th gear in my '91 Jetta... so maybe 55 or so.

1996ish dark colored Dodge Avenger, with its brake lights permanently stuck on :rolleyes:

2000ish Corolla, who may or may not be yapping on the phone with his dome light on (in the dark), and cannot even hold a constant speed, no matter how slow. Varies between 55 and 70 I think. Never stayed behind him long enough to say for sure.

Bottom line, driver's licenses are just too darn easy to get, and even easier to keep. :cool:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've had one relevant encounter with a Prius on I-495 in the Chelmsford MA area a couple of years ago. I normally encounter Prius and other gasser hybrid drivers every day but this particular one takes the cake. One thing they all have in common is they tend to be among the slowest vehicles on the highway.

I was southbound on the 495 on my way to work in the early afternoon and traffic was busy and flowing at 75-80 MPH in a 65MPH zone. I'm haulin' arse in the left lane and simply going with the flow. Busy traffic in all 3 lanes was flowing at 75-80MPH. Over in the far right lane was a Prius driver trying to hypermile under these conditions. The Prius was driving at ~ 46 MPH, just barely above the posted legal minimum of 45 MPH. On the back of Prius was bold lettering that said: HYBRID RESEARCH VEHICLE

Trucks barrelling down the highway and all traffic were slaloming around the slow-moving Prius driver. It definitely was a dangerous situation. I think a more meaninful research project would be for the Prius driver to simply keep up with the flow of traffic at 75-80 MPH and see what the Prius actually gets for MPGs under real world driving conditions.

Last edited:

coppertop666

TDI
2010 Golf 2D
Here in NY your allowed to used the HOV lane if you have certain hybrid vehicles. These lanes are already overcrowded which is another story all together but get behind one of these and your maxing 40mph when the left lane is moving at 70. I get it that moving at 40 is better than sitting in stop and go traffic but to me it's so frustrating when the traffic then begins to let up and your then watching cars that you passed a while ago then pass you! I'd rather sit in the everyday stop and go - less stressful IMO

Oh and don't get me started with cell phone people and texting while driving - try dealing with one of these idiots when on a motorcycle (it will scare the S#!t outta ya)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
n1das said:
Over in the far right lane was a Prius driver trying to hypermile under these conditions. The Prius was driving at ~ 46 MPH, just barely above the posted legal minimum of 45 MPH. On the back of Prius was bold lettering that said: HYBRID RESEARCH VEHICLE
"Hobbit" is actually a nice guy. I've competed against him in economy runs before. He beat me when I had my Sonett, but otherwise.... Well, My '05 Passat wagon with automatic beat him handily on fuel efficiency.
http://www.icerace.com/amec-2008-economy-2.html
Too many gadgets and too much reliance on dubious techniques (ride the paint stripe there's less rolling resistance:confused:). Invariably he has his Prius pull up to the designated refill pump with batteries depleted, yet still only gets mid 60's mpg. So he pushes it the last few feet to prevent the engine from turning on to charge them and use that little bit more fuel. And he's barefoot to save weight.

DHall

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Not a Pace car story but I found this funny. One afternoon on my way home from work I spotted a Prius pulled over on the side of Interstate 91 in Greenfield, MA. The funny part for me was the pick up truck parked behind the Toyota and the driver pouring gas into the Prius from a Jerry can. The Prius pilot must of figured it would go forever. :(

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
In the greater Chicago area all the Prius drivers are driving like everyone else, like it's the Indy 500.

Downstate they all drive like there is a 45 MPH governor on the engine. At least when I encouter them downstate the traffic is light enough where I can always pass them.

:)

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
The Prius's I've encountered in LV drive as well as anyone, better than many, and are typically more polite about letting folks into traffic than most. My last trip to LA a few weeks ago, I got passed by a Prius going up the Baker grade, I was doing 85, he maybe 95. He wasn't setting any MPG records, but was probably still doing OK, and getting to his destination quickly.

I've got no problem with the typical Prius drivers around here.

Glenn R

TDI
2010 TDi Sedan
In the words of dearly departed George Carlin - "Anyone driving slower than me is a moron, and anyone driving faster is a maniac."

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
When I was on California's Pacific Coast Highway 1 (AWESOME drive!) a couple years ago, I was driving my mom's '98 Acura Integra. Just a standard 1.7L automatic. Very anemic little thing. You have to beat the crap out of it to get it to move anywhere (exact opposite of my Mk3 TDI, the low down grunt gets it moving without much effort).

There were SEVERAL Priuses that sadly kept up with me, two of them even passed me! I wasn't taking it easy on that poor old Acura either. On the straight stretches I'd stay about 5-10 mph over the limit, and in the corners I'd try my best to not slow down hardly at all (more fun that way :p). The Prii would catch back up with me on the straights and even pass me! I couldn't believe my eyes. Prii not only going relatively quick on this road but also having the balls to pass on a two lane, two way winding road.

I NEVER see that up here in MI. Although I do remember when our shop first started carrying nitrogen for tires, one Prius owner, who had just purchased his car, came in wanting to have his tires filled with nitrogen. He commented that the car was only getting about 38 MPG, but maybe with the nitrogen he could break the 50 MPG barrier! It was all we could do to contain our laughter. I'm sorry, but putting a different type of air in your tires isn't going to give you 12 MPG!

I admit the advertising for the product is a bit misleading. Claims of improving fuel economy and the like. Those claims are only somewhat true if you're the type to NEVER check and adjust your tire pressures. The nitrogen is more stable and tends to not lose pressure as quickly as normal compressed air, yes. But if you're checking and adjusting your tires regularly (as you should be regardless of what type of air is in your tires...) there will be no difference. Let alone a 12 MPG improvement! Wow... just wow.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Around here most of the pace cars I've seen are driven by very old drivers or people from India who are driving at 5mph under the posted limit, whatever that limit is.

I have no idea why both those classes go to the same driving school, but they do.

Thankfully, not all of the people in those two groups go to that driving school either.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Lug_Nut said:
Too many gadgets and too much reliance on dubious techniques (ride the paint stripe there's less rolling resistance:confused:). Invariably he has his Prius pull up to the designated refill pump with batteries depleted, yet still only gets mid 60's mpg. So he pushes it the last few feet to prevent the engine from turning on to charge them and use that little bit more fuel. And he's barefoot to save weight.
:D Textbook example of a Fruit Loop.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Can't say I see a larger percentage of these as pace cars, but I did see one on 24 just south of Boston that was memorable. This guy was a classic, 55 in the left lane at 5:15, everyone forced to pass on the right then get back in the left lane. As my turn to pass came I noticed a nice assortment of green bumper stickers and decals all over the side, I didn't read them but can only imagine what the gist was. Well I don't make a habit out of behaving badly, but I did this time. When I got back in the left lane, at close to 60, I dropped into 3rd and nailed it. My 23 year old daughter was with me and she couldn't believe the way the hybrid completely disappeared in the soot cloud. I know, not a PC or even remotely mature response, but it felt good at the time.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Souzafone said:
I dropped into 3rd and nailed it........ the hybrid completely disappeared in the soot cloud.
That's my ride home everyday...:)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Souzafone said:
This guy was a classic, 55 in the left lane at 5:15, everyone forced to pass on the right then get back in the left lane. As my turn to pass came I noticed a nice assortment of green bumper stickers and decals all over the side, I didn't read them but can only imagine what the gist was.
...the hybrid completely disappeared in the soot cloud.
That was a state vehicle, part of the "green fleet" to show the state's commitment to environmental issues, and was driven by a state official having policy input on emissions regulation on motor vehicles.
Thanks a lot. And the next time any griping comes up about the latest "unfair state emission limits on diesels", you can thank yourself.

OK, maybe he wasn't, but each "sooting" is another opportunity create anti-diesel sentiment. The cumulative effect is more and more restrictions.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Driving like that creates dangerous conditions for all other vehicles in the vicinity. If sooting occasionally causes them to move over everyone is better off. The mentality of those people is unbelievable- its f-in dangerous!!

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I used to only soot tailgaters, and now I just don't, with the rare exception-usually it's a white Escalade for some reason. If there is light traffic, I just pull over on the shoulder, slow down slightly with my hazards on. Then I get to watch them talk or text at the next stoplight. Sometimes they don't even know when the light turns green.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Souzafone said:
Can't say I see a larger percentage of these as pace cars, but I did see one on 24 just south of Boston that was memorable. This guy was a classic, 55 in the left lane at 5:15, everyone forced to pass on the right then get back in the left lane. As my turn to pass came I noticed a nice assortment of green bumper stickers and decals all over the side, I didn't read them but can only imagine what the gist was. Well I don't make a habit out of behaving badly, but I did this time. When I got back in the left lane, at close to 60, I dropped into 3rd and nailed it. My 23 year old daughter was with me and she couldn't believe the way the hybrid completely disappeared in the soot cloud. I know, not a PC or even remotely mature response, but it felt good at the time.

I usually pass them and slow down. They get enraged, taking away their sense of superiority and calm. Stay calm, don't get mad, or they win.

For added fun, use your windshield washers. Every time they stop wiping do a quick spray. It's fun to do to left lane campers / tailgaters. I've had great success with it, and windshield washer fluid is cheap enough, it can add joy to an otherwise stressful commute.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
...reminds me when I was young, I had a 73 super beetle. the windshield washers ran of spare tire pressure. More air in the tire, the further the washer would squirt.

You could also aim the washer by sticking a needle in it and moving it.

I had mine aimed over the top of the car and about 60 PSI in the spare tire. I could soak the car behind me if he tailgated.

fase2000TDI said:
I usually pass them and slow down. They get enraged, taking away their sense of superiority and calm. Stay calm, don't get mad, or they win.

For added fun, use your windshield washers. Every time they stop wiping do a quick spray. It's fun to do to left lane campers / tailgaters. I've had great success with it, and windshield washer fluid is cheap enough, it can add joy to an otherwise stressful commute.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
Hypermilers can be found in any high mpg type car, including TDIs. A Prius is a more distinctive and common vehicle than a TDI thus subject to greater stereotyping. The "pace cars" I usually run into are middle class Detroit metal driven by senior citizens who are probably more concerned about driving in their comfort zone than getting good fuel economy. Considering this, I can only imagine the angst of living and driving in and around the large Sunbelt retirement community cities! :eek:

Daddy_O

TDI
99 Bug
The Prius crowd in San Diego crack me up. They see a TDI badge on the back and they want to race. They hate it when you pass em on the grades. :)