oil cap leaking

commanderjjones

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, silver 5-speed
Noticed when I changed my oil yesterday that I had a significantly amount that had leaked around the cap. Not overfilled and this is the first time I've seen it happen. Is the cap just worn out (the car does have 350k)? Doesn't seem to fit loosely, but I think it should seal enough for that to not be happening.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
You can buy just a seal and replace it, as the seals do harden and stop sealing well after some length of time.
I've purchased a couple over the years, usually from one of the forum vendors, as a small add-on item tossed in when I'm ordering other maintenance parts or supplies.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I put 2 seals on mine to stop the leak. I think the metal tabs that hold the cap in get little bent after 200k, and putting the extra seal keeps it tight. I'm relatively sure I got it at AutoZone.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I just bought one at Napa this afternoon for safe measures as well. Hope I don't need 2?! I'll buy a new cap if that's the case!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My Golf always has some slight wetness around the cap... I've replaced the seal, replaced the cap, different valve cover at last t-belt change even... still does it. Not awful, not anything I am really concerned with... but after 540k miles, I guess if that is really the worst thing, then that's OK.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I bought a steel oil cap at Oreilly's the last time I was looking for a seal, and it has a bit more tension on the spring that holds the cap down.

So far seems to be keeping mine dry, but it may loosen over time as well.

I had replaced the stock cap's gasket previously, and it worked for a while before it started to weep again.