2002 golf wont start - Please help!

Tjr2550

TDI
2001 TDI beetle & 2002 TDI golf
I bought my current 2002 tdi golf about three weeks ago, it has about 290k km on it, the car was modified with a few things when I bought it. It has a G60/VR6 pressure plate flywheel combo, stage 3 malone tune (with EGR and immo delete on the tune)

Anyways, my issue is. I was driving the car home the other day, and was slowing down to go over a speedbump the engine started sounding a lot louder all of the sudden, so I shut the engine off because I knew that something was wrong; and when I tried to start it again, it just turned and turned but wouldn't kick at all.

So after having the car towed home I tried to do a bit of troubleshooting, couldn't find anything other than when i pulled an injector out of the block and tried to turn it over the injector didn't spray any fuel. I took the injector pump out and took it to NW fuel injection and had it tested professionally, the results of the test came back great, the guy there said hes been working on VW pumps for decades and hes never seen one in such good condition with the amount of mileage that the pump has on it.

The pump is back in the car now and still acting the same way, so there must be something telling the injector pump not to put out fuel

Other things I've tried:
-Changed 109 relay (tried three different ones)
-Changed 100 relay (tried three different #100's aswell)
-Hooked it up to the vag-com, only code that came up was (01177 - Engine control unit unauthorized) Which I wouldn't know what to change to help that code

Anyways I'm really confused with all of this and if somebody could help give me ideas or things to try that I haven't gone over already would be greatly appreciated!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
What do you know of it's service history?
Are you 100% confident the timing belt (and related components) is OK?
It sounds like your engine had some kind of 'event'.
At any rate here's the classic no start thread
Whatever you do, check that timing belt before you go trying to start it up.

Tjr2550

TDI
What do you know of it's service history?
Are you 100% confident the timing belt (and related components) is OK?
It sounds like your engine had some kind of 'event'.
At any rate here's the classic no start thread
Whatever you do, check that timing belt before you go trying to start it up.
Timing belt is Ok, it was the first thing I checked when it happened. the engine kicks with a shot of ether but then dies off again after it runs out of ether.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Also, when you say the engine became suddenly "louder", do you mean the RPMs went up, like it revved up 'by itself'? if so that could be a runaway that you happened to catch real fast:confused:

Tjr2550

TDI
Also, when you say the engine became suddenly "louder", do you mean the RPMs went up, like it revved up 'by itself'? if so that could be a runaway that you happened to catch real fast:confused:
RPMs didnt go up and I was at pretty much idle when it happened, but it almost sounded as if I was sitting behind the car at the tailpipe, but it was in the dash, if that makes any sense?

Tjr2550

TDI

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
So I see in "possible causes" it states "Engine Control Module (ECM) modified
Immobilizer removed" And I know my tune has the immo delete on it aswell, so I guess I should get on the phone with Malone Tuning and see if it could possibly be a fault in my tune?
Sounds like the least spendy, most logical approach given what I know, which is very little :D

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Removing the injection pump for testing is about the most extreme thing you can do
to troubleshoot a no start condition.
I would start with checking if there is a restriction or air leak in the fuel tank, filter, etc.
It is not trivial to reset the timing of the cam and IP after R+R of the injection pump.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
This won't have anything to do with the tune, if it was the immobilizer it should start for two seconds and then shut down.

I'd start with a strong battery and see that it's cranking and sending fuel to the injectors. You can loosen them off one at a time to make sure they're getting fuel. Don't crank for too long as you'll burn out the starter, 10-15 seconds should be plenty then give it like a minute break.

If the pump pulley has been bumped at all, that could be enough to do it. Does it stumble at all or act like no fuel? worst case mark where it's currently set and walk the timing back and forth a tad to see if that changes anything, I'd do this after making sure it's getting fuel.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interweb guess- One of the big tubes is loose. Couple on top, couple underneath.
Of course that doesn't account for no diesel, but I can't reconcile no diesel with engine started sounding a lot louder all of the sudden.

Tjr2550

TDI
Interweb guess- One of the big tubes is loose. Couple on top, couple underneath.
Of course that doesn't account for no diesel, but I can't reconcile no diesel with engine started sounding a lot louder all of the sudden.
What exactly do you mean by "big tubes?"

Tjr2550

TDI
This won't have anything to do with the tune, if it was the immobilizer it should start for two seconds and then shut down.

I'd start with a strong battery and see that it's cranking and sending fuel to the injectors. You can loosen them off one at a time to make sure they're getting fuel. Don't crank for too long as you'll burn out the starter, 10-15 seconds should be plenty then give it like a minute break.

If the pump pulley has been bumped at all, that could be enough to do it. Does it stumble at all or act like no fuel? worst case mark where it's currently set and walk the timing back and forth a tad to see if that changes anything, I'd do this after making sure it's getting fuel.
when I pulled an injector and tried cranking to see if it would spray fuel out of the injector it didnt spray anything. so i believe something is telling the pump not to put out fuel on the computer side of things

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well there is a fuel shut-off, some folks will jumper that for diagnosis. But I'm not exactly sure where you're at. So the pump was tested, O.K., reinstalled, properly timed then bled, injector lines bled. So when you open 1 injector line, you get no spray. Check the wiring to the fuel shut off.