Timing belt replacement 2003 VW Jetta TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Hello everyone, my timing belt will need replacing in about 18,000 miles and I need some advice about what I should do. I talked to a mechanic and he told me to replace a few other parts along with the timing belt. (timing belt tensioner, etc). Can I get away with replacing just the belt or do I have to replace everything else with it? If I do need to replace other parts, what exactly do I need to replace? Also, what is the average cost of this repair if I'm taking it to a shop? If anyone has any recommendations for a shop in central Wisconsin, let me know. Thanks

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I can’t give you an accurate quote for the parts and labour but you certainly need to replace the following:
Tensioner and rollers
Water pump
Timing belt
Coolant flush and refill

Don’t cut corners and don’t cheap out on the parts - you don’t want the shop to do it again

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Hello everyone, my timing belt will need replacing in about 18,000 miles and I need some advice about what I should do. I talked to a mechanic and he told me to replace a few other parts along with the timing belt. (timing belt tensioner, etc). Can I get away with replacing just the belt or do I have to replace everything else with it? If I do need to replace other parts, what exactly do I need to replace? Also, what is the average cost of this repair if I'm taking it to a shop? If anyone has any recommendations for a shop in central Wisconsin, let me know. Thanks
Does the shop know to follow the factory procedure TO THE LETTER and use the correct tools? Does the shop know how to verify that the cam, crank, and pump timing are correctly indexed? Does the shop know about replacing the 4 TTY one-time use engine mount bolts which MUST BE REPLACED with NEW bolts?

These are serious questions that need to be correctly answered to know that the shop is qualified to do the job.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I recommend bringing the car to one of the TDIclub gurus close to you to do the job so you know the job will be done correctly.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm in the process of changing the TB on my 2000 Jetta for the 4th time. The engine is just shy of 370k miles. The TB is over the 100k mile limit.

I purchased the $255.00 kit from Idparts, plus four harmonic balancer bolts.

For what it is worth, I've never flushed the engine coolant, and it still has at least 50% of the OE coolant! I "vacuum" the coolant out when doing a TB change and then put it back. So, very little is lost during the work process. The expansion tank is a good place to observe for tell-a-tale signs of what's going on in the cooling system. Mine looks just fine...

As n1das suggested, find a guru to do the job. JasonTDI (I believe that's his user name) may not be very far from you. I believe he is in Verona, WI.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Take it to Jason

I can recommend going to JasonTDR in Oregon, WI. Worth the trip.

To address your concern, YES - he knows exactly what he's doing. Very honest, and has been a vendor on the trusted list here for a very long time.

jasontdr.com

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hi, I'm here.

Thanks for the referrals guys. Yes, I know what I'm doing. Yes, I'm insured and run a legit shop. I've done thousands of timing belt jobs and I go over the rest of the car for you. For pricing PM or email me. or simply call or text.

Oh, sand you HAVE to replace everything. Any shop that says otherwise is kidding themselves.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
... 'cause often it's one of the "everything"s that fail in advance of the timing belt... tensioner, rollers, waterpump. :) Engine mount bolts. :) :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
... 'cause often it's one of the "everything"s that fail in advance of the timing belt... tensioner, rollers, waterpump. :) Engine mount bolts. :) :)
Agreed. When you have a timing failure, it is rarely because the T/B failed.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
May, 2017, the Water Pump locked up on the ALH in my Vanagon ......... escaped a disaster, luckily! The WP had about 50k miles on it.

But, I have seen two TB failures.

1. The OE (40 or 60k mile belt) on a 99 NB stripped teeth at 105k miles.

2. The OE TB on a 2003 Jetta stripped teeth at 152k miles.

And, I have seen a solidly documented OE TB (2001 Jetta) go to 149k miles no incident.

And, I have seen a solidly documented TB and kit from Idparts go 142k miles no incident (I did the work but lady just kept driving it...).

And, I've seen several in the 100k to 120k range with no issues!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, take the car to Jason. The timing belt job is a routine service item, but also easily done incorrectly. And the consequences of doing it wrong are dramatic, and expensive. Best to have an expert do it.