2001 Bug: passenger side window switch only on direction-down.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
2001 Bug: passenger side window switch only one direction-down.

So I just reaquired a 2001 bug from my daughter. I’ve fixed a number of small issues but one has me stumped. I did a google search and looked here and newbeetle forum but found nothing.
I can open the window with the passenger side switch but not close it. If I push the button for the window to go up, it actually goes down.
The driver side switch works perfectly so that I can open and close the window normally. Passenger switch will only go down regardless of the switch position.
What I’ve done: disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, replaced the passenger switch, replace driver side switch (I have 5 bugs so I can swap parts around with known good ones).
Anybody have any ideas on something like this and where to look on this bug electrical system?

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
As I’ve noted in the first post I replaced the switches from one of my other bugs with no change. Also for good measure, I put the “bad” switches in one of my other cars where they work fine so the problem is somewhere in the car. Question is what and where?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Could be a wiring short in the harness that goes into the door. That is a weak point for most cars because of the repetitive movement of the wires.

Just check the plug that goes into the switch to see which wires to investigate.

I have a strange issue with my passenger side window. It will go down fine but sometimes it will stop on the way up like it is slowing down and then it will go down. I suspect that the tracks are out of alignment causing the strain on the motor.

Then the pinch protection kicks in and sends the window down. Perhaps this is part of your problem.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t think it is a pinch protection kicking in since using the driver door switch yields proper function. Wiring harness in and or about the door might be more likely.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Sorry, I missed that you swapped out another window switch. Try swapping the wiring harness plug on the door lock and window switch. The door lock switch should run your window up and down when plugged into the lock switch.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I missed that you swapped out another window switch. Try swapping the wiring harness plug on the door lock and window switch. The door lock switch should run your window up and down when plugged into the lock switch.
I tried that too and no change. Took the door panel off and check continuity to the door control module and it was normal. Unplugged everything and Even jumpered the connection on the module for the proper pins that are used for the passenger side window switch. No change. Got to looking at the bentley's for the wiring and wondered if the driver side control module might be suspect. Pulled the panel and unplugged the connector to the driver side control panel and ran some checks. All appeared normal as far as I could tell. Plugged everything back in and Reinstalled the driver door panel. I had run out of time so I just plugged everything back in on the passenger side door panel as well and reinstalled the door panel. I tested all switches on both doors to make sure everything still worked and to my absolute amazement, the window switch on the passenger door now works! No Idea what I did but I guess that it was a weak connection on the driver side door control module causing the issue. Anyway, for now, the problem is solved.