turbo rebuild shop?

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
Ive got Garrett T3 unit from an early 90's 1.6 that needs a refresh. Anyone had some work done locally, preferably around GTA?

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
Tried both. Giles can 'send out' the turbo, provide no guarantees of success at a cost of $1000 and not recommend any alternatives. Yes, I'm the only person in North America that does not like him. Not just this but from previous dealings.
Rovan was not familiar with turbos this old and suggested I move on.
I am talking to Cherry Turbos ATM who seem knowledgeable.

Thanks.

84 GTI

TDI
2001 Jetta
Tried both. Giles can 'send out' the turbo, provide no guarantees of success at a cost of $1000 and not recommend any alternatives. Yes, I'm the only person in North America that does not like him. Not just this but from previous dealings.
Rovan was not familiar with turbos this old and suggested I move on.
I am talking to Cherry Turbos ATM who seem knowledgeable.

Thanks.
You're not the only one that does not like him.

I have dealt with Cherry Turbos before and they were very helpful.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Its funny these days, people seem to forget that a small bit of customer service can go a long way. This applies to everyone, from small to large business and even large corporations. But especially to entrepreneurs.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I used to use Mr. Turbo on Oconnor years back, but their google reviews are not looking good these days.

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
To update this: the cheapest local quote I got was for $550CDN from a shop in Brampton. They seemed reputable and knowledgeable but could not fully guarantee the rebuild (esp. the wastegate) because the unit was so old and they did not have much experience with it. I turned to kijiji and after some time I found a good used Garrett T3 being sold by an older German machinist. The unit was pulled from his son's totalled car and had been sitting for years so needed some exercise but now works well :)

Upn disassembly,The old k24 did indeed have a stuck wastegate. The valve was frozen solid in the 'open' position so I was running on minimal boost the whole time. I plan to clean the wastegate thoroughly and save the turbo as a spare - the bearing only had medium wear.

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
I have dealt with Cherry Turbo. He is a complete scam. After getting my "rebuilt turbo" which did not have any caps on the oil lines let alone intake or exhaust, it failed within 10KM on a stock TDI. I ended up purchasing a new Turbo from Autocamping for about $50 more than what Cherry Turbo charged for his so called rebuild. He either didn't rebuild the unit or did a very poor job. The Spongls in Georgetown are just as unimpressed with Cherry Turbo, and all they build is turbo motors.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Cherry ftw

I have used Hermann at Cherry for years. Good guy.
Hermann custom built me a stealth vnt-15 with bigger compressor wheel and it was a monster... Never blew it up... pushed 30lbs spikes many many times... can't remember what I paid but it was def less than $500