Inner tie rod tool

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My MK4 has just turned 300K and needs new struts and shocks, which means an alignment - but one of the inner tie rods has a little play in it so that needs replaced at the same time.

Anyone in the GTA or surrounding area have an inner tie rod tool I can borrow?

TIA

Simon

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
Princess auto has one I bought.
Just buy it, use it and return it.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the replies!

If OH thinks a BAR is easier, I guess I'll give that a shot. I assume that means I wouldn't have to remove the outer end first, which would probably involve cutting the rod given how rusty the threads are.

Simon

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I usually just cut it in half, remove the boot and then get it off.. if im replacing inside tie rod, going to replace outside as well. I think if you had a lift and could get under with an adjustable then for sure that works, but working on jack stands and crawling underneath with harder to work area .. ill take it off with the tool.

graeme20

TDI
2013 GSW
I have one in Whitby you're welcome to use. It's the $15 one from Princess, and worked just fine for my inners.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I only ever install assemblies, and yes they almost always get cut off for removal. Even in our area, the adjusters tend to seize.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I only ever install assemblies, and yes they almost always get cut off for removal. Even in our area, the adjusters tend to seize.
I'm confused. Why would you need to cut the rod if you are using an adjustable wrench to undo the inner? I thought you would only need to remove the outer in order to slide the tool over the rod?

I'd prefer to keep the old assembly intact as an aid to setting the new one as close as possible to the right length for the drive to the alignment shop.

Simon

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because you need to slide the boot off the old tie rod to transfer to the new one... unless you just want to buy a new one of those, too. But 15 seconds with a cutting disc is easier and cheaper.