Pull the pin on an 05 passat tdi wagon...?

bigolac

TDI
99 Beetle
Hey guys - after retiring a 99 tdi beetle with 350k on the clock and returning our 09 jsw to vw over dieselgate, I've been diesel free for the past couple years.

I recently found an 05 passat tdi wagon for sale, and am considering test driving it and purchasing. What pitfalls should I be looking for? This particular car has 170k on the odometer. The dealer said it has not been in an accident and it was meticulously cared for (I guess we'll find out).

Maybe my question should be would it be more prudent to look at the recalled vehicles that are now back on the road, or is this generation more reliable that the newer models? I'm not really interested in bells and whistles for features, just getting me 100 miles every day to and from work.

My current daily driver is an 09 Rav4, which is a great car in itself, but it would be nice to add another dozen mpg or so with a TDI.

Thanks!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Keep about 4 k in the bank for a possible 5 speed conversion or new slush box if it wasn't maintained properly.

Ask for inspection of cam lobes.

If it doesnt have a bsm delete or geared updated bsm get it immediately.

Take it to a car wash and then look for wet floors.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
X2 on everything Rick said. The B5s also have a complicated multi-link front suspension with four separate control arms per side. OE parts for this are very expensive, but there are some excellent after market sets available. Good luck!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
These cars are getting old and not cheap to maintain. I think you can find a better value in someting more recent at a higher entry point. IMO

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I daily my 5 speed converted '05 70-75 miles a day. Great fuel economy. I have spent about 250 on all control arms and another 100 on tie rod ends. I have play in the ram i will address next. Totally worth it for the mpgs. The ram is just a pita to replace

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Steering ram aka steeing rack. Hydraulic cylinder that makes her point where you wanna go!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm familiar with a steering rack, just never heard it called a "ram".

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I was looking to buy a bhw for a daily driver, the list of candidates would almost have unicorn status- replaced or deleted BSM, replaced, converted, or meticulously maintained transmission, intact axle boots, inspected or upgraded camshaft, no rust southern car, and interior in decent condition. 2015s have fallen into the range where I think they may offer better value and be less of a crapshoot plus warranty.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm familiar with a steering rack, just never heard it called a "ram".

No worries, it's more marine, equipment, industrial, farm, etc terminology to refer to a hydraulic cylinder as a ram. .

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
If I was looking to buy a bhw for a daily driver, the list of candidates would almost have unicorn status- replaced or deleted BSM, replaced, converted, or meticulously maintained transmission, intact axle boots, inspected or upgraded camshaft, no rust southern car, and interior in decent condition. 2015s have fallen into the range where I think they may offer better value and be less of a crapshoot plus warranty.
You can't buy a 2015 wagon TDI with the interior space of a B5! Backseat is bigger, trunk is bigger.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You can find one that someone has deleted and 5 speed converted for @ 4 to 5k.

Sadly the resell value of these cars even when made bullet proof doesn't get your money back if you sell.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
I have used the Blauparts front suspension on my daughter's, has been great for 5 years!

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
We have 2 2004 Wagons, 1 2005 Wagon. Found a 2005 wagon for my buddy last May. We love them! I recommend the Schaeffer 9000 5W40 oil to keep the camshaft if it is not gone. Use the Colt stage II cam kit or Franko cam kit for the replacement. Change the tranny fluid at 50k to keep it going. 310,000 on mine with the original suspension. Had to replace the door latches, the switches fail after a period of time. Front wheel bearings. Using Blauparts for the parts, no china parts from Jim Blau. New rear calipers from Rockauto, best price!

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
Got 39.5 mpg on last trip across 3 states, at avg. of 70 MPH. Loaded up, 3 people, 1 dog, back full. Makes me smile! Malone stage 1.5 on this one.

bigolac

TDI
99 Beetle
So I got to do a test drive yesterday - have to say it was fun to listen to the diesel growl after not hearing it for so long...

Handled nice, drove nice. This is a one owner car with a clean carfax who's owner appeared to be meticulous. Timing belt done at 75k and 157k (currently has 167k). Front end suspension done at 140k, rear suspension at 130k. Front brakes at 140k. I may get the terminology wrong, but I believe the timing chain was replaced or improved somehow (I didn't understand exactly what he said), and the camshaft was replaced (can't remember mileage). I didn't remember to ask about the transmission, but I would probably be changing the fluid when I purchase (hopefully that would be fairly easy, but haven't investigated that yet). Heat and air con both worked well.

Downsides are mostly cosmetic on the body with some paint bubbles on the driver side wheel corners and rear window. The top line of the red display that was showing instant mpg between the speedometer and tach was kind of dim somehow, kind of hard to explain. Monsoon radio with some kind of crazy 30-pin iphone or ipod hookup. Both of the passenger side automatic door locks don't work - not sure what that fix would be (fuse?), but they do manually lock.

All in all, I was pretty happy with it. Going into negotiations with the better half and see what's what.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Most likely just lock actuators, I've used cheap eBay ones with great success.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
door lock modules
I have used $17 delivered ebay modules with good success as well
Youtube videos are helpful
Front and rear are very different to R&R