Great drives in Northern New England...

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
Thought it’d be fun to list your favorite roads to drive on, localized in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont....

Maine;
Shore Road, from York Beach to Ogunquit Maine, a thin, serpentine ribbon of road that follows the rugged rocky coastline of Maine, past the York country club (watch out for golf cart crossings ;) ), speed limit is around 35, and the road has several hairpin corners

Drive to Short Sands, pass the Goldenrod restaurant, and at that intersection bear right, and keep going, best to drive it early morning or late at night to avoid slowpoke tourist traffic, take it slow your first time as some of the corners appear quickly, also, most of the little beaches along the road are private property so don’t stop and sightsee or take photos, it’s a fun, challenging drive

Vermont;
Smugglers Notch Road, THIS road makes Shore Road feel like a multi-lane superhighway, barely 2 cars wide in spots, and with two extreme hairpins that almost loop back on themselves, one next to a huge, sharp boulder, it’s not only narrow but steep, make sure you have a full tank when climbing, as some pitches will cause the tank level to drop

The road is so steep and narrow that they actually close it in the winter, as the state snow plows cannot navigate the road

A thrilling experience, well worth the drive

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Thought it’d be fun to list your favorite roads to drive on, localized in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont....
Maine;
Shore Road, from York Beach to Ogunquit Maine, a thin, serpentine ribbon of road that follows the rugged rocky coastline of Maine, past the York country club (watch out for golf cart crossings ;) ), speed limit is around 35, and the road has several hairpin corners
Drive to Short Sands, pass the Goldenrod restaurant, and at that intersection bear right, and keep going, best to drive it early morning or late at night to avoid slowpoke tourist traffic, take it slow your first time as some of the corners appear quickly, also, most of the little beaches along the road are private property so don’t stop and sightsee or take photos, it’s a fun, challenging drive
Vermont;
Smugglers Notch Road, THIS road makes Shore Road feel like a multi-lane superhighway, barely 2 cars wide in spots, and with two extreme hairpins that almost loop back on themselves, one next to a huge, sharp boulder, it’s not only narrow but steep, make sure you have a full tank when climbing, as some pitches will cause the tank level to drop
The road is so steep and narrow that they actually close it in the winter, as the state snow plows cannot navigate the road
A thrilling experience, well worth the drive
Thumbs up on shore road! This one is best driven at night if you want to move quickly at all. It is usually swarmed with tourists driving exceptionally slow. I frequently take this road both in cars and on a motorcycle.

One to add to the list for NH is Bay Road/Durham Point Road in Newmarket/Durham respectively. This one is another one best run at night. Lots of twists and cool elevation changes, but lots of people walk/cycle on this road including me, but it is also a great driving road!

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
The run across Evan's Notch is a trip back in time. Not too far is Hurricane Mountain Road, both in the Mount Washington Valley....and the auto road up the rock pile itself is worth the trip.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Thanks for this post. Back in the day, my '78 diesel Rabbit and I made it a goal to get lost and see as much of this gorgeous country as possible. Years later, when my '99 MK3 Jetta TDI was an infant, my ex and I spent every weekend finding every corner. Except when the unpaved roads suck, turn whenever the urge hits.. then pretend you're looking for the "pick your own" fruit farm.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The run across Evan's Notch is a trip back in time. Not too far is Hurricane Mountain Road, both in the Mount Washington Valley....and the auto road up the rock pile itself is worth the trip.

Both are 2 wheel bliss. For Ho5G members the Fishy had done those trips.

MacTechG4

TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
Thumbs up on shore road! This one is best driven at night if you want to move quickly at all. It is usually swarmed with tourists driving exceptionally slow. I frequently take this road both in cars and on a motorcycle.
One to add to the list for NH is Bay Road/Durham Point Road in Newmarket/Durham respectively. This one is another one best run at night. Lots of twists and cool elevation changes, but lots of people walk/cycle on this road including me, but it is also a great driving road!
I just checked out Google Maps of Bay/Durham Point road, and I've added it to the GPS list :), i'll try it out when I go back home to Somersworth (recuperating from a broken ankle at Mom's farm here in southern seacoast Maine, it's much closer from my Somersworth place

I think it might be fun to set up a Northern New England TDI-Fest up here sometime in the fall, it'd have to be after Tourist Season and before Leaf Peeper season when we have to deal with all the Fromawayers and leafpeepers who can't seem to find the accelerator pedal... (Hint, it's that long, thin pedal under your right foot, push down on it to go *FASTER* ;) )

MacTechG4

TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
Found another *GREAT* road in Kittery Maine, it's similar to Shore Road in York, a little shorter, but with more elevation changes....

Haley Road, It's the road right between the Dunkin Donuts/Mrs and Me, and Yummies Candy and Nuts

it eventually intersects with Rte 103, taking a right takes you along the scenic Kittery Point coastline and into lower Kittery, and will eventually bring you back to the Kittery traffic circle (roundabout)

the only drawback to my drive this afternoon, is I was stuck behind a fromawayer/tourist from nannychusets in a Volvo wagon, they couldn't seem to find the accelerator pedal, but they weren't as horrible a driver as the typical Mass. driver... ;)

One of my old college friends (from Mass.) actually got her roommate to believe that every driver in Mass. was issued a special "M***hole Manual" in addition to the standard drivers ed manual, so they could "Learn how to drive like a M***hole", her words, not mine...

...she was also the type of driver to pull up next to another driver at a stoplight, (knowing full well there was a cop past the intersection), rev her engine and challenge the victim to a race, when the light turned green, the victim would speed off, and get nailed by the cop, as she motored past at the speed limit, grinning at the sucker...

vicious sense of humour, she had ;)

anyway, back on point, Haley road is a great drive, well worth adding to the TDI-Fest of roads

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Any road in Acadia! And they change hour to hour! (Ahh, New England weather!) :eek: