Water fuel separator

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
I decided to replace my fuel filter today after only 1.400 miles.
This is on my project beetle 2001.
Initially when I bought her it had some water in the fuel. It also had a brand new fuel filter. I drained my fuel tank, got 15 gallons of fuel that I disposed of.
After burning two fuel tanks of clean diesel, I decided to replace the fuel filter anyway.
For my surprise I got a lot of water when I drained it. Yup 1400 miles only...
Here is what I got out of the fuel filter:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Looks like the water seperator is doing its job.

Is that all water? Are you running regular Diesel fuel or bio/WVO? I've never seen such yellow Diesel fuel.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Regular BP Diesel , it is not that yellow, it is the picture I took I guess...

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
With over 800,000 miles between my wife and myself. I've only gotten about a sewing thimble full of water out of any fuel filter I've changed in the past 20+ years.

Not sure I'd be fueling where you are currently fueling after seeing all that water.

Here is what fuel should look like.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
dweisel said:
With over 800,000 miles between my wife and myself. I've only gotten about a sewing thimble full of water out of any fuel filter I've changed in the past 20+ years. (snip)
__. Yeah, there's something big wrong here. MzLauraLee and I are only up to a total of about 350K miles but I've never seen more than a couple of bubbles of water (and that was rare - usually there was *no* water at all in 15-20K miles). The OP should find out what's going on here -- this is a BIG FAIL!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
WOW, that's a lot of water, Touareg! You might consider an alternate fuel vendor ;) Seriously.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
check to make sure your sending unit is not leaking water in......sounds unlikely but just check it anyway.....also check to see if water is entering throu your filler neck or from a ventectomy.

iMac6

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Okay, I'm setting myself up to sound like a real n00b, but what is in each bottle below? This can't be all diesel fuel, right? Or is it? I've seen plenty of 'shades' of light colored diesel, but definitely not the maple syrup stuff on the left.

Please be gentle.... :p

dweisel said:
With over 800,000 miles between my wife and myself. I've only gotten about a sewing thimble full of water out of any fuel filter I've changed in the past 20+ years.

Not sure I'd be fueling where you are currently fueling after seeing all that water.

Here is what fuel should look like.

Wizard

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
iMac6 said:
Okay, I'm setting myself up to sound like a real n00b, but what is in each bottle below? This can't be all diesel fuel, right? Or is it? I've seen plenty of 'shades' of light colored diesel, but definitely not the maple syrup stuff on the left.

if i had to guess, and mind you this is only a guess, i would have to say it is offroad diesel. the darkness comes from a dye which is put in. this diesel is intended for farm and agricultural use and is non-taxed.
the dye also allows a DOT officer to cite you with a hefty fine if you are caught running it in your onroad vehicle.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, he's just displaying the rainbow of colors we see with the newer diesel fuels. The sky is the limit.

Dwiesel, I'd re-take that shot against a white background - - far more dramatic that way :)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
iMac6 said:

Far right sample is DYED OFF ROAD FUEL

Left to right after off road is GULF,SPEEDWAY,CITCO,SUNOCO and NON BRANDED MOM & POP.

The pic was just to show color variations.

Dweisel