License Plate Screws

aespTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GLS
I was trying to look this up the other day and had no luck. For anyone interested, I used 6mm screws from Home Depot to screw in the license plate on the rear of my 2005 Jetta.

RobertC

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I used the 6mm hex headed ones on mine, stainless steel of course.
I figured the hex heads would make it a little harder for some thug to
take my tag. Also protects my TDI Club license plate frame from theft also.:p

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I love living in a small community (60 people). No thugs to worry about.Denver was a different story.
Here we don't lock any doors and everyone in the area owns their own gun.

Sound of Deliverance song. Da da da, da da, da da da dah.

Oh my wife just reminded me. My dad while living in the Denver area used to put his hubcaps in his trunk so no one would steal them.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Lefty said:
I love living in a small community (60 people). No thugs to worry about.Denver was a different story.
Here we don't lock any doors and everyone in the area owns their own gun.
You got that right!:D I know I haven't seen my door keys for at least 10 years.

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
I used SS hardware for the front and rear plates on my TDI and my wife's TDI. I purhcased my wife's TDI for the local VW dealer and they delivered the car to me with 2 of 4 fateners installed on the front and rear plates that were to long and allowed the plates to flop around. Showed this to the dealer and he asked what was the problem? Thank God for a local Ace Hardware store.

YergInNY

TDI
2002 Jetta
I wish my problem were with the bolts. Instead my problem is with the sleeves. I think that EVERY one of the sleeves is filled with a broken bolt. I have had the tag in the window for a few weeks now, and now my wife has threatened me with my life if i don't get her tag out of the window.

I have removed the interior liner of the trunk and discovered that the sleeves appear to be single use, and may be merely pressed into place. I do not see an easy way to remove or replace the sleeves. Any help or advice?

THANKS in advance!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
RobertC said:
I used the 6mm hex headed ones on mine, stainless steel of course.
I figured the hex heads would make it a little harder for some thug to
take my tag. Also protects my TDI Club license plate frame from theft also.:p
I took it up one more notch...

I used torx :)

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
YergInNY said:
I wish my problem were with the bolts. Instead my problem is with the sleeves. I think that EVERY one of the sleeves is filled with a broken bolt. I have had the tag in the window for a few weeks now, and now my wife has threatened me with my life if i don't get her tag out of the window.

I have removed the interior liner of the trunk and discovered that the sleeves appear to be single use, and may be merely pressed into place. I do not see an easy way to remove or replace the sleeves. Any help or advice?

THANKS in advance!
Drill them out and replace them with a new rivnut. I bought a tool to do the metrics, but I suppose it doesn't really matter what thread size you use.

If you buy the metric tool (or I'll sell you mine), you might as well get the rivnut from VW because they're closed at the bottom (most are open all the way through).

--Andy

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI
You can make a RivNut tool. Use a longer screw/bolt, a couple of washers and a nut.

The nut goes on the bolt followed by a couple of washers and the RivNut. Keep the bolt from turning and tighten the nut down. The washers are to allow the nut to turn without turning the RivNut.

It is crude, but it works and is better than buying a tool for a couple of RivNuts.

Mike

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sod screws, they look much nicer stuck on with the double sided sticky pads. No rusty screws ever and a nice clear plate.

homelessgdog

TDI
12 Golf TDI 4dr 6spd m/t
It might be tacky on my part but I think VW could have put something in the rear for the plate instead of putting screws in the bumper. Sad. So far my only complaint on my rig.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
It might be tacky on my part but I think VW could have put something in the rear for the plate instead of putting screws in the bumper. Sad. So far my only complaint on my rig.
My rear plate was just ripped off completely; no tools were needed since the screws were held in by the plastic bumper cover. I borrowed the security screws from my MAF to fasten the new LP, but that is just for looks only until I can get behind the bumper cover and install some kind of nut.