Glow Plug #1 stays on

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Not sure if anyone has had this before.

I keep burning out GLow plug #1. Replaced the GP relay, still the same.

Any ideas where to look next. Testing power at the relay and it seems GP 1 has power on all the time.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
With the relay out, do you still have power at GP #1? If so, that would indicate the #1 GP and main power wires shorted to each other.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, that is a weird one. You would have to have a shorten to power wire on the output leg of the #1 glow circuit, which seems unlikely.

What voltage glow plug does your car use? And for that matter, what engine are we talking about here, since all three TDIs listed in your sig have totally different glow systems and none of them would be part of this forum.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In the olde days, this was a sign of a bad fuel injector. But with the plug being far from the injector I don't think that happens on DI engines.

The relay being stuck on would be easy to confirm with a test light.

What year car is this on?

-J

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Oilhammer brings up a good point. Which car are you working on? Doesn't the 1999 have just two glow plug circuts? If so, then #1&#2 should both be hot.

So which car?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Were all the plugs replaced at some point or just #1?
If only #1 it could be the wrong voltage as pointed out.
Did you test power was only going to the plug at #1 and not getting to the other 3?
If only 1 pull the glow plug relay and test again.
If its still there then start following the wire harness and look for a shorted / frayed wires.
If not we need to know which car, I was not aware there was 2 power feeds based on the year.
99 to 01 and 02 to 03 have different tests in the book.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Thanks for all the reply's. It's actually my fathers car, an '06 wagon, so BEW. I switched the GP relay with a known good one, was still the same. Will try with no GP relay. I guess that would be a new GP connector, just how far back to replace the wires. Did notice some chewed wires under the rain tray. Damn mice. Thanks

I did search the forums, thanks. There was someone with a similar issue on a ALH but no definitive answer what solved it. He changed a bunch of parts.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks for all the reply's. It's actually my fathers car, an '06 wagon, so BEW. I switched the GP relay with a known good one, was still the same. Will try with no GP relay. I guess that would be a new GP connector, just how far back to replace the wires. Did notice some chewed wires under the rain tray. Damn mice. Thanks
I did search the forums, thanks. There was someone with a similar issue on a ALH but no definitive answer what solved it. He changed a bunch of parts.
Check and fix the chewed wires first.
For how far back to replace you only have to go back to where the problem is.
Only you can find that in the car.
The short could be anywhere the mice might get to or even somewhere vibration chafed 2 wires and shorted.

johnh2o

TDI
2003 jetta wagen-killed by distracted driver replace by 2013 Jetta wagon TDI
Good glow plugs are about 0.5-0.8 ohms. I have replaced the whole harness twice but the problem comes back after a few years. This time I cut that molded plastic 4 plug off and rewired it individually with high temp wiring and a small bullet female connector to each plug. The female connector fits perfectly on the end of the glow plug. I will update in a few months if all is still good.

Last edited: