MOUNTED my new massive tires today! :)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
do you have a thread anywhere detailing your lift that you built? if not, could you describe it? how much lift did you need for those tires.

looks simply fantastic btw

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Sorry, I dont really have a build thread... I made the lift myself. Its similar to Metalnerds 2" lift kit. Spacers under the coils in the rear(moog wagon springs). Shock extension, and then Spacers on the struts up front with stock springs. Very simple.....nothing fancy. Then I finished it off with one of the light bars I make and a panzer skid plate. Then I found some general grabbers on ebay for super cheap and "boom" lifted wagon! :)

Shock Extensions:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! That is one beastly looking wagon, quite fantastic. I miss having access to a metal shop, I'm a bit envious of your shop/garage. lol.

Is it 6061 or something else and did you heat treat or coat them or anything after machining?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I have really enjoyed the car, and I am pleased with how it turned out. I have been blessed by having access to the tool and equipment to do the things I do.. My grandfather passed on his lathe and mill to me when he passed away. He also taught me so many things! I just used 6061... No treatment or anything. If they corrode I have more lift spacer sitting on the shelf, but I doubt it will ever get bad enough to cause problem in this cars lifetime. :) Ive made a bunch of other car/jeep parts with bare aluminum and its held up well over the years.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds great! The last time I used a metal lathe I was making platonic shapes out of steel and aluminum for an architecture stereotomy class, or another class (i tend to forget lately). I miss the smells and sounds and how enjoyable working in the metal shop was. I even somewhat enjoyed programming the little cnc mills and lathes we had. I still sort of remember all the g and m codes that we used for our basic little things we did. Wish I had been able to use them more often.

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
I mounted a set of 205/75/15 Grabber AT2s yesterday on my 2002 Jetta. I have a Metalnerd 2" lift, Moog springs on all 4 corners, and Koni yellows for suspension. Everything clears just fine :)

So far I really like the setup. Handling is a bit "squishy" compared to the stock sized Michelin Defenders I had before but nothing unexpected. Too early to tell how MPG is affected but I'm not too worried. Speedometer, measured by GPS is right on.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I'm planning on going a little bigger on my tires next go around.....205 70R 15s

Have you had a chance to see how your fuel mileage changed as a result of the larger tires?

I'm hoping for a little better fuel mileage as a result of the slightly higher gearing...

Thanks

Andrew

PS - I like the look of the large tires (and the added ground clearance for driving down gravel roads) but I need maximum fuel mileage since I drive for a living.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Andy.. MPG's have changed a little, but not much. In town I have seen a little drop 1-2 mpgs. ON the hwy mileage hasnt changed much at all. Im getting about 44-46. We are doing some longer trips in the next week or two. I will report how that goes. I predict above average mileage.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
Thanks for this thread. Got my Mastercraft Courser AT 2's installed today. Love how it looks. It's not as cool as your wagon, though!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
so is there a club for TDIers who also own Jeeps?

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
That looks awesome! how do you like it?
I really like it! Gotta relearn how to drive a 5 speed. definitely a difference. :D

I had to drive 2.5 hours to get the tires installed, and she did awesome on the turnpike! Can't wait for winter!! Need a skid plate before I take her "Off-road".

May have to start a club for Jeeps and Jetta's :cool:

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Uh-oh.... Usually when someone says that its not a good thing... :) my wife always says; "don't be that guy" haha
It's just so rare that some random shared posting on Facebook is of someone you (kind-of-actually) know. I saw the post there and wondered if the wagon was a TDI (don't think I saw a picture of the back end). Tell your wife that, in this case, "that guy" is A Good Thing.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
How have those AT2's worked for you?

I ran a set on my old Z-71 (after going thru several sets of BFG AT's) and was pleasantly surprised. Rain/snow/off road they were spot on.

BTW - nice score having a wife that rides.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Looks great man! I have a black wagon too, but with tinted windows and standard height. Interested in your homemade lift kit. You making any more of these?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mathanz! I am finishing up a lift for another member at the moment.... PM me if you are interested. I have been really busy, but with have more time for side projects now. I also have light bars built and ready to ship if anyone wants one.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
will do. Also interested in your impression of the moog springs. I've heard mixed reviews on them, but they look like they're holding your ride up well.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I sent you a PM.... I really like my moog springs.
They are a huge improvement over my broken stock springs.
:) And at $37 I cant complain even if they dont last as long.

will do. Also interested in your impression of the moog springs. I've heard mixed reviews on them, but they look like they're holding your ride up well.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I noticed the shock mount extensions, other than that was your rear lift achieved by springs alone? The front with spacers alone?
I have a jetta sedan I'm playing with and have the control arms out now. I like what you did and I just might copy you.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Thanks for photos, sent a pm

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So how is the lift responding, are you daily driving the car? I'm interested in knowing if those 215's are clearing ok and if you have any issues of struts reaching max extention

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the car is my daily driver. I have done a few little weekend getaway trips with it as well. I love the lift. It handles and drives very good! The 215's didnt geve me much trouble. The worst thing is that I cannot fit the stock rear mudflaps with the 215's on. with the roads I drive on that drives me nuts. So I currently have geolander AT's on (205-70-15) they dont look quite as cool but they run good and I can fit my mud flaps. I still have the grabbers and they may go back on this winter just for fun....unless someone on craigslist buys them. haha!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've got a Bug running around here that's WAAY lifted. Don't think it's a TDI, but it looks awesome: totally unique; lots of lifted trucks around me (and I a bid jaded on them), but this Bug really jumps out. If I can catch of picture of it I'll post it here.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Noticed the mudflap issue, I think I may go with 205's. It will be a dirt road traveller.