brm turbo actuator issue

delslo

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
I have an 06 tdi with an overboosting issue. I had it diagnosed and it turns out that my boost actuator is leaking vaccuum. Is there any way to fix this problem other than replacing the turbo? I need help big time. I need to sell the car so that I can pay my tuiton ASAP.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Maybe try to find a core vnt 15 and pull the actuator off that. Of course it will not have the "smart" sensor on top of the can. Or you could try to open the can and replace the diaphragm, which I assume is what is leaking. Unfortunately they don't sell that actuator separately.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
The smart actuator has a role. It can be tuned around, but I was told my a reputable tuner that you are better off with it than without.

I don't know about availability new but I was able to buy one off a used OEM turbo from one of the trusted mechanics that frequents this site for a good price. You might consider posting a WTB ad in the private seller area and see what turns up. Mechanics do replace failed turbos from time to time and sometimes the actuators are still good.

AFAIK, if an actuator holds vacuum it is usually good, if not it is always bad.