Oil and fuel filters, which are the best?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I sleep calm anyway with a Made in Germany FRAM filter.
I would not use a FRAM filter on a TDI, simply because every time I have checked, FRAM stocks with FRAM stock numbers they are literally rebadged Mann ( or another oem type vendor) cartridge filters. While one would expect them to cost LESS, they actually cost more. So for example Mann filters can be had for a 03 TDI for 4.99 on Boraparts. I can get the same FRAM @ the local WalMart for 12.99. :rolleyes: I got a package of 10 shipped to me when the 03 TDI was newer $4.50 each, shipped. The last OCI I did was @ 30,700 miles. Mann seems to work and offers a good price/performance ratio.

I have used FRAM oil filters in a few applications (04 Civic, 87,91,94,96,97 TLC's PH8A @ $2.50 each) but more importantly a LOT of miles (815,000 miles) and from 15,000 miles OCI's to 20,000 miles OCI's. (you can see I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy) :D ZERO issues.

A month or two ago, I brought a 17 year old SUV that had not had a major tune for OVER 30,000 miles (30k is the recommended MAJOR tune) and was working on a 21,000 miles OCI, to a CA SMOG ONLY station for a smog test. Long story short, the "bad" emissions numbers were essentially ZERO's. !!!!! NOT even measurable. Well @ app 22,000 miles, we did change the oil and put on a "new" (but bought in 1998) PH8A FRAM filter.

Last edited: