'01 Monsoon stereo and amplifier(?) question

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I have a 2001 Golf TDI GLS and when bought it didn't have a factory radio. I replaced the radio it had with a '01 Monsoon stereo and it sounds fine. However in the rear hatch compartment on the drivers side there is a panel for access to the rear lights and what appears to be a factory amplifier? If I don't need the amplifier(?) for the monsoon stereo to play through the factory speakers in the car then I would like to use that space for something else.

My monsoon stereo has the cassette but no CD.

So can I remove the amplifier(?) and still use the monsoon stereo through the factory speakers without damaging the monsoon stereo?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Unplug the amp and see if you're still working. There are power-off issues with mixing monsoon and aftermarket components, so watch out for battery drain issues.

Wife's car still has the amp in the trunk. Been meaning to remove it: has had two aftermarket stereos and have had no issues, so I think it's safe to do so.

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Unplug the amp and see if you're still working. There are power-off issues with mixing monsoon and aftermarket components, so watch out for battery drain issues.

Wife's car still has the amp in the trunk. Been meaning to remove it: has had two aftermarket stereos and have had no issues, so I think it's safe to do so.
I want to keep the monsoon stereo in the car. I want to remove what I think is a factory amplifier(?). Will running the stereo without the amplifier(?) damage the monsoon stereo?

If I unplug the amplifier(?) and the sound from the monsoon stereo is still coming through the speakers fine then......problem solved?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob, in a Golf they put the amp and or a CD changer back in the left trunk pocket. Ha ha, I just pulled a CD changer from my Jetta parts car and I'm thinking about trying it out in my Golf (when I get it back from the body shop):D

If you unplug the amp (if it's really an amp) that's there in the trunk and the stereo still works then it's not connected (or should not be- again, the concern is just in watching that you don't get a battery drain as the Monsoon amps have this key part in cutting power that doesn't happen if you have an aftermarket stereo that's not wired to account for an installation in an originally outfitted Monsoon car). I do not believe that you can combine the Monsoon amp and an aftermarket stereo (it's kind of pointless anyway).

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
the concern is just in watching that you don't get a battery drain as the Monsoon amps have this key part in cutting power that doesn't happen if you have an aftermarket stereo that's not wired to account for an installation in an originally outfitted Monsoon car).
Please forgive my ignorance for I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying:

That unplugging the factory amp.....and if the monsoon still plays fine......I might end up draining the battery?

My car had a non factory (Kenwood) stereo in it when I bought the car. Don't know if that matters or not.

I can play the monsoon stereo without the key in the ignition.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please forgive my ignorance for I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying:

That unplugging the factory amp.....and if the monsoon still plays fine......I might end up draining the battery?

My car had a non factory (Kenwood) stereo in it when I bought the car. Don't know if that matters or not.

I can play the monsoon stereo without the key in the ignition.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm used to people replacing Monsoon systems, not installing them:eek: Anyway...

It's still an issue of the amp being responsible for sending a signal to the speakers to not hold on to power. I can't really explain it all that well; I was just wanting to put out this note (more info can be gleaned via search on this topic). If your stereo continues to operate with the key removed then I'd want to make sure that there isn't a power draw happening when you have vacated your vehicle and you don't expect the stereo to be on.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Sorry for the confusion. I'm used to people replacing Monsoon systems, not installing them:eek: Anyway...

It's still an issue of the amp being responsible for sending a signal to the speakers to not hold on to power. I can't really explain it all that well; I was just wanting to put out this note (more info can be gleaned via search on this topic). If your stereo continues to operate with the key removed then I'd want to make sure that there isn't a power draw happening when you have vacated your vehicle and you don't expect the stereo to be on.
The speakers are feed from the amp.
If you unplug the amp you would have to jump the correct wires to pass the audio through.
Without a diagram it might be difficult.
I removed my Monsoon and the amp when I installed my Kenwood.
I ran all new wires to each speaker and for power.
While it took a lot longer I now have real speaker wires, not the thin VW wires.
Also getting power from the terminal block under the fuse block eliminated the possibility of no communication to the ECU.
Just my .02 cents. (US) :)

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I think the amp you are talking about is more of a crossover than an amp.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are Metra wiring harnesses that deal with Monsoon wiring. BUT, they're for aftermarket systems. This notion of installing a stock system modified is really not a direction that I'd look to take.