Suggestions on removing stuck lug nuts/wheels?

Got Smoke?

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Could a moderator/administrator please lock this thread as its informative/helpful nature has turned to arguements.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
From a strict reading of the instructions would mean that some times the tyres on the front might have a little more tread. As it has turned out for me, with my rotation schedule ends up with very little difference.

If I ever had a car with two tyres with noticeably less tread on two than the other two, you can bet the best will be on the back.

I would suggest that if you have a noticeable difference in the amount of tread, then they have not been properly rotated. Mine get rotated twice a year.

Do you have any authoritative reference that specifically specifies using the tyres with the most tread remaining on the front?

Have you read the reference http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-basics/ Chose the selection that talks about "where to mount two new tyres" Then watch an listen to the short video.

I have never had any difficulty rotating my tyres and keeping the better tyres on the front, or having very little difference in the wear.

I have provided a specific professional reference on the subject. I have not found such a reference suggesting putting the best on the front. Can you provide a reference?
You just said that you regularly rotate your better tires to the front to keep the wear even. This totally contradicts your "put the best tires on the back" BS! :confused: If you want to follow that stupid rule then you can never rotate your tires, so in the real world the rule is BS!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Could a moderator/administrator please lock this thread as its informative/helpful nature has turned to arguements.

I agree. All useful information has been posted. I doubt if there is anything more to add. Each of us will read and interpret the data based on our experiences, and personal opinions.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You post information and advice and swear that you are right and everybody else is wrong. Then when it is pointed out that you do not follow your own advice, you ask to have the thread closed. :confused:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You post information and advice and swear that you are right and everybody else is wrong.

Yea, sure thing. You mean like Michelin? Whatever….

Did you even look at the Michelin testing video?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The info in the video may be right, but I believe it is exaggerated to emphasize what is probably a very subtle difference. You still have not explained why you go against that advice and rotate your best tires to the front on a regular basis.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I rotate my tyres spring and fall, Winter tyres and All season. I rotate them front to back and side to side.

In six months of driving, I can not measure a difference in the tread between my tyres (that is comparing all seasons as a group and Winter as a group. Using a standard tool the differences a not measurable. If I found a meaningful difference, I would buy a pair of new tyres. But so far that has not happened.

I have thrice done 360's on a icy highway. (Once in my 1970 VW, Once with my Miata and once in my RX7. The Miata was the only one that felt like I was under control. The other two, I believe were mostly luck. In the Miata, I was passed the car in in my lane in front of me, looking at him face to face as I passed him and finished up with another 180 degrees and went on my way.

All of those times involved mostly luck. I had some experience on icy empty parking lots and I believe that helped a lot. I was involved in one serious accident. Ice on I-70 in Ohio. 16 cars (I was #16) and one semi truck that a honeymoon couple went under. Both died and I doubt if they knew what happened. Not my best Thanksgiving. I remember it every year.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I don't care how often you rotate your tires. It is a fact that on a properly aligned front wheel drive car the fronts wear faster than the rears. You are rotating the rears to the front and therefore putting the best tires on the front whether you figure you can see it with your eye or not. This goes against the advice you gave to the OP. The OP stated that the fronts were more worn but did not state by how much. Might have been a 32nd or a quarter inch. The video you linked to was only talking of replacing 2 tires with 2 brand new ones, they were not talking about rotating them. Who are you to tell the OP he shouldn't do something when you do the exact same practice yourself?

johnastephens

TDI
1997 Red Passat, 2005 Grey Jetta, 1998 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 975 HP 22 MPG
I used about a 3 foot cheater with an impact socket and got some loose, the I decided to speed up the process so I got out my 3/4 inch impact wrench for the remainder of the lugs. I put never seize on the lugs on assemblage, they come off easily now.

1998 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500. Quad I bought the Dodge for the Cummins
2005 Jetta TDI
1997 Passat TDI

Last edited:

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
If you can get the lugs loose, back them off from the rim about 1/16" then drive the car back and forth in your driveway, make shallow turns to free the rim from the hub. I have done this on 3/4 ton truck rims with good success.

SA_TDI

TDI
2005 PD GLS- BEW
Thanks for the helpful info in 3 of the 41 posts.

Had the wheel bolts stuck of both front tires over the weekend as I trying to swap my winter wheels to summer.

I ended up using a deep socket and a 4 pound sledge. It took a bunch of hitting and the combination of a 4 foot extension. There's a couple times I almost gave up, but finally with a little extra force and weight on the extension the bolts finally made a creak!! Then slowly moved the rest of the way.

Be persistent!!

I have now replaced 4 of them since they deformed a little under the stress and getting hit so many times.

Please keep your tire discussions and other rants to threads that warrant them - and don't pollute the ones where those of us need help!!

Please!!!

Moderator - can you please delete the other 37 useless comments?

Also, side note, I just bought a torque wrench and now carry it in the car and in the future will specify to ANY shop that pulls off my wheels to torque the bolts with MY WRENCH - or I'll just do it myself...

BlindViper

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3
Thanks for the helpful info in 3 of the 41 posts.

Please keep your tire discussions and other rants to threads that warrant them - and don't pollute the ones where those of us need help!!

Please!!!

Moderator - can you please delete the other 37 useless comments?
thanks for posting in a thread that was long ago dead

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
big azz breaker bar with an impact socket will get the lugs loose.

if the wheel is frozen to the hub (had an old mustang with same prob) then just loosen the lug bolts maybe 1/2 turn each and take a drive down a rough road...it will break that rust bond.

BenT Syncro

TDI
B4V GLX auto converted TDI w/ 5-speed
I use WD40. Soak for a couple of days in succession. Then use a 3' long cheater bar and an impact socket. These are typically more robust than regular sockets. I've broken my share of Craftsman sockets from breaking frozen lugnuts & bolts. Sears still replaces them for free but it's a hassle easily avoid by using the right socket.
As for the reasoning behind installing the better tires in the back, I feel the responses here missed the obvious. When tires fail, it is easier to keep your car under control of the fronts go because you can STEER them.

Last edited: