www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 9th, 2018, 19:21   #1
bizzle
Veteran Member

Default 2015 GSW w/ DSG mild "thunk" when starting

My 2015 GSW is exhibiting a mild "thunk" noise when I start to drive it. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and it only seems to happen after it's been parked for a while. I don't remember it doing this when I first bought it since I started noticing it after I did all of the services that were due last (DSG, fuel filter, oil filter, and oil change). I have a VCDS and followed the DSG and filter procedures by the book.

The sound is similar to the locks clicking when you start to move but with a more solid heft to the sound (more of a *thoomp* than a click in the door) and it almost sounds like it's coming from the windshield wiper area (sound travels but my wife and I almost thought it actually was the wipers lodging into their parked position at first).

I'll try to record it if no one has any ideas where or what to check, but has anyone heard anything like this?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 19:57   #2
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

The wipers do have a slight movement to them, by design, to keep the blades from becoming stagnant: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21267

I have not noticed a thunk from this though.

The only thunk I get is from the parking brake sticking sometimes and breaking loose when I start off. This happens after the car sits for awhile, and particularly when it has been wet. It happens identically in both my Mk7s, the GSW DSG and the GTI manual.

Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 20:02   #3
bizzle
Veteran Member

It does sound like the wipers and it does sound like it's coming from that general area, but the thread you linked indicates the wiper movement is done when the car is turned off whereas the noise in mine is when I start it.

When you say parked for a while do you mean overnight or a week? I think mine is overnight or longer. Haven't really heard it after an hour or two of being parked. We're never wet over here, though, temps (at the time of this posting) are currently 97 but most of the day was 110!
Old June 9th, 2018, 20:07   #4
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
It does sound like the wipers and it does sound like it's coming from that general area, but the thread you linked indicates the wiper movement is done when the car is turned off whereas the noise in mine is when I start it.

When you say parked for a while do you mean overnight or a week? I think mine is overnight or longer. Haven't really heard it after an hour or two of being parked. We're never wet over here, though, temps (at the time of this posting) are currently 97 but most of the day was 110!
I'm talking overnight or even several hours of sitting.

If I wash the car or it rains or even if it's just the typical muggy as hell and everything is sweating (including inanimate objects) weather he have.... then the parking brake sticks and makes a racket when it breaks loose when you try to start rolling.

Maybe I just have a HULK SMASH grip on the brake when I park. I dunno.

Old June 9th, 2018, 20:21   #5
bizzle
Veteran Member

OK, thanks for that information. I'll try and record it in the morning and post it.
Old June 11th, 2018, 06:28   #6
STOKTDI
Veteran Member

My wipers make a noise/slightly move when I put my car in drive. Scared me at first but now I am used to it. Glad to know it is something that should happen
STOKTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:51   #7
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOKTDI View Post
My wipers make a noise/slightly move when I put my car in drive. Scared me at first but now I am used to it. Glad to know it is something that should happen
We seem to be experiencing a similar issue, but I'm not sure whether it's supposed to happen. The thread Blue Hen linked to is talking about the wipers adjusting when the car is turned off.

I haven't been able to get a decisive sound recording yet.
Old June 11th, 2018, 08:40   #8
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Same here as Stoktdi, my wipers make their reverse adjustment after a start, not a stop.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 11:49   #9
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:
We seem to be experiencing a similar issue, but I'm not sure whether it's supposed to happen. The thread Blue Hen linked to is talking about the wipers adjusting when the car is turned off.
I haven't been able to get a decisive sound recording yet.
Yup, it's when you start it and I believe it's after you put in reverse (maybe even drive) and start rolling. That is my experience usually in the morning after it's sat overnight. I'm sure there is a timer of some kind, maybe the same one that dictates if the trip computer gives you fresh "from start" numbers or compiled numbers from a trip/started like 30min earlier.

a) it's highly unlikely that it's the DSG or something else
b) it's totally normal
Old June 12th, 2018, 11:57   #10
bizzle
Veteran Member

OK, well I was able to get a recording but not sure if it helps figure it out or makes it more difficult

Anyway, do you guys see the arms move? I don't really see movement from the wipers when I hear the sound. Before I made this thread I thought the sound was coming from the wiper area (already figured it was not likely to be the DSG or something major like that, except I was concerned if maybe the pump or filter could be the source) but didn't notice any movement so ruled it out and started looking elsewhere.

Do I need to really stare at it or is it so slight that it's not really going to be obvious?
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:00   #11
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Its obvious on the passenger wiper from the driver's seat. Temporarily raising your seat if you sit low should help.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; June 12th, 2018 at 12:07.
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:08   #12
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
Its obvious on the passenger wiper from the driver's seat.
Yep. Moves a half inch or so to roll the blade.

FWIW, mine makes negligible noise when it does it.

Old June 12th, 2018, 12:24   #13
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:
OK, well I was able to get a recording but not sure if it helps figure it out or makes it more difficult

Anyway, do you guys see the arms move? I don't really see movement from the wipers when I hear the sound. Before I made this thread I thought the sound was coming from the wiper area (already figured it was not likely to be the DSG or something major like that, except I was concerned if maybe the pump or filter could be the source) but didn't notice any movement so ruled it out and started looking elsewhere.

Do I need to really stare at it or is it so slight that it's not really going to be obvious?
No, I think you should just look in the rear view mirror and drive away.

As the saying goes around here, "Drive more, worry less".
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:49   #14
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Confirmed that the reverse adjustment occurs both after starting and after stopping.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:08   #15
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is one of those silly things the Germans thought was a nifty little feature, but only ends up stressing components beyond what a reasonable duty cycle would entail. Like placing the HVAC in recirc mode every time the car is in reverse... then you get to replace that little motor more often.

My personal favorite was tying the sunroof AND recirc to the sat-nav, so when you went in a tunnel, it would close the sunroof for you and put the car on recirc to keep fumes out of the cabin while passing through a tunnel.