98 New Beetle TDI, recently rebuilt engine! White

ecowaters

San Francisco area (formerly eastern Mass.)
TDI
SOLD: 98 NB
First: I'm not absolutely sure I'm going to sell this car, so don't send me any crazy-low offers. I'll be in California for some work, and I just don't need a car there yet., thanks to great public transportation in San Francisco. However, I might need one at a future date, so I'm thinking of storing or loaning the car. Right now, it would be easier to sell it.

Car is in eastern Mass.

Photos to come.

153,000 miles
REBUILT ENGINE
3-year-old snow tires
1- and 2-year-old tires
Regular oil changes with synthetic oil
New turbo!
Stereo with tape and 6-CD changer
New taillight
Lots of new parts (my records are in Calif. but I can get some lists from the dealer and another mechanic)

I've had my 98 New Beetle TDI since 2001, when I bought it from a Danish engineer who was fascinated with alternative cars and commuted long distances for work.
I drove the car with biodiesel from World Energy and Mass. Biofuels about 1/20th of the time.
In Sept., I was driving 45+ mph down a country road and hit an 18-inch puddle (due to an overloaded culvert during Hurricane Bill). The car pushed a big wave of (fresh)water over the car and stalled it. (Several other cars got swamped in the same puddle.) No water got inside the car, but the engine sucked some in, causing damage. My insurer paid for much of the rebuild at Kraftwerke in Braintree, Mass., because Chris at Kraftwerke told the adjuster I wanted to save the car.

The fog lights were always cracked. I have plastic covers on them. The grill has a rip in the lower piece. I wired it together and meant to either art car it or patch with a fiberglass kit.

Because I thought I was going to drive this into the ground (which I thought would be 300k miles), I haven't treated the interior with kid gloves. There are some tiny scratches and some water stains, but it looks good.

This is a chance to get into a car with a rebuilt engine and new turbo for $4,500 or best offer.

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
why was the motor rebuilt?

having a car with 153k and a rebuilt diesel is not exciting

maybe if it were a gasser..

a diesel with 153k are barely broken in, honestly what happened

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
sounds like it ingested some H20 and bent a rod or two...

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
KROUT said:
Judging by who repaired the car this will be a great car for some one.
Agreed. Good to see you back Scott. ;)

Good luck with the sale ecowaters, looking forward to seeing some pics as it sounds like a good car.

big67

TDI
none yet
5 speed or auto?
check engine is still on? what code is it pulling?