What do non-mechanics use for diagnostics on newer VW's?

pearing

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have looked, but I am unwilling to pay $500+ for VCDS because I don't do it for a living and just need to do my service intervals etc. What do mortals use? I looked but I did not find much except that VCDS is the bomb. So... is there an alternative out there that makes sense in terms of abilities and cost???

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have looked, but I am unwilling to pay $500+ for VCDS because I don't do it for a living and just need to do my service intervals etc. What do mortals use? I looked but I did not find much except that VCDS is the bomb. So... is there an alternative out there that makes sense in terms of abilities and cost???

First VCDS (a HEX-V2) can be bought new for $199 (assuming that you already have a Windows laptop). Sometimes used for less.
ODBeleven can do almost everything that VCDS can do and it required an Android device for an interface. It is cheaper, but it does not have anywhere the level of built-in (or after the sale) support and there can be additional costs depending on what you want to do.
There is also a product called "Carista" which can also do some interesting things, but it has some drawbacks and you have to buy "credits" to do a lot of things.

Without a doubt, VCDS is the best, but if I couldn't afford $200 and I didn't already have VCDS, I would probably go with ODBeleven mainly because I'm not a fan of the way Carista works.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. There are also a couple of hand held ODB scanners that are VW specific and they can do much of what VCDS can do - but you kinda have to know what you are doing to really use them. ECS Tuning sells a few of these.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
500 bucks? Who is ripping you off with that?
Ebay's used vagcom cables are about 80 to 100' new is 200 from rossteck
VCDS is 100% free, the cable has the licence built In. You can hack the cable from ebay but its hit or miss for $40 and you can only use vcds light that is also a old hacked version and is limited but will do your basic needs for timing.
Vcds is the only way to go honestly and is very affordable comparing to going to a shop once vs a diy. Buy once, cry once.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I’m using VCDS for the VAG cars and couldn’t be happier with the tool

Ross tech is continually providing updates to their software- stick to the original and you’ll be happy.

Heck if you want to sell it down the road, you’ll have no problem finding a buyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The VCDS diagnostic tool for 3 VINs is $199, not $500. If you plan to keep the car for any length of time it'll pay you back many, many times over in saved dealer diagnostics and unnecessary parts purchases or other repairs. And peace of mind. Any generic tool won't have diesel specific descriptions for fault codes. And the power and flexibility of VCDS far exceeds any competitive tool.

I wish similar tools were available for BMW and Mercedes.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
What, exactly are we doing with the VCDS? Adjustments to software? What needs adjusting? Really, what am I missing here? Everyone is saying this computer whatever is the only way to go to do maintenance, I'm sorry, I do my oil changes with wrenches, no lap top involved.
Doing brakes all the way around today, no lap top, am I going to die? You all think so.....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
On the newer cars you should use VCDS to prime the fuel filter when servicing. And you need it to check the DSG fluid level when servicing. The tool is also useful for a variety of adjustments in the car, including key fob programming, hot climate setting for the A/C, changes to daytime running lights, what you see on the MFI in the cluster, and so on.

But the big value is, in my opinion, the ability to read codes and start diagnosis of issues with the car. It can allow you to determine what's happening and how to proceed, without putting you at the mercy of the dealer to diagnose, or the trusting what an independent shop sees on their generic reader, which is frequently misinterpreted for a TDI. That's the value.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Being a complete idiot with computers, I think this is the worst thing I could do to my car. I don't own a lap top. don't want to own a lap top. I can see a lap top smashed through the windshield.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Being a complete idiot with computers, I think this is the worst thing I could do to my car. I don't own a lap top. don't want to own a lap top. I can see a lap top smashed through the windshield.
That's unfortunate. Eventually you will spend some time with the car either in a specialty shop or dealership where the diagnostic time will quickly become more expensive than the VCDS cost and the time to learn how and what could have been figured out at home. Not even considering the coding changes you could make to alter some to customize your VW.
It's been a long time since I've used my VCDS and then it was probably on a friend's VW. Truthfully wouldn't own a VW w/o VCDS or a good friend with it.
Not technically savvy myself, but run a ScanGauge in both old ALH TDIs which takes care of minor things.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Obviously your choice. And VCDS requires a laptop. I take great comfort in owning it, take it on road trips. Driving to Detroit two years ago I got a CEL in Ohio. Because I had VCDS with me I could determine that the code was an odd occurrence that did no harm and, once cleared (with VCDS) would not come back. Much nicer than driving the remaining 1,500 miles that weekend wondering what, if anything, was wrong.

VW dealers charge between $80 - $150 to read codes. That adds up.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
OR and this may be easier find a local person that has one and when you need a scan it could cost you a 6 pack or something equal. Over 20 years I have had a pretty good stock of beverages.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
OR and this may be easier find a local person that has one and when you need a scan it could cost you a 6 pack or something equal. Over 20 years I have had a pretty good stock of beverages.
Well I own a HexV2 which is only good for 3 VIN numbers, do you think I would limit my usage for a lousy 6 pack? A 3 VIN costs $199.00 and for 10 Vin is $299.00
A VCDS for unlimited VIN numbers is way too expensive for non-commercial use!
Maybe you are not using a legitimate Ross-Tech cable?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The older vcds cables (I have one) were unlimited as far as vin numbers were concerned.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I own a HexV2 which is only good for 3 VIN numbers, do you think I would limit my usage for a lousy 6 pack? A 3 VIN costs $199.00 and for 10 Vin is $299.00

With a VIN limited interface you can still scan for and clear fault codes on an unlimited number of cars, which can be a useful service. It is only the "advanced features" (like coding and adaptations) that require VIN registration. However, you are correct that a 6-pack is not worth burning a VIN in your case, but for most TDIs a "legacy" interface is sufficient and these are not VIN limited.

Have Fun!

Don

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can send it back to them for $50 and they will give you 1 more VIN out of it, you have to call them and talk to them about it, they do it though. but still 3 is more than enough.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The older vcds cables (I have one) were unlimited as far as vin numbers were concerned.
When I updated my VCDS several years ago from the old serial port style as far as I know mine is unlimited. When did they start limiting to three VIN number use? That would surely affect buying again (or as a first time purchase) as I usually have at least two VWs and a few friends.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When Ross-Tech limited the vins they dropped the price from $349 to $199. It was a good business move. Our sales of their tools are up significantly since the price drop.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I truly thank you all for the info. But when I look at the codes and read outs on other threads, they mean nothing, some occasional words that mean things by themselves, but totally useless to the untrained eye.
So far I've put on a little over 3 thousand miles on the little beast, and it seems to run like a champ, should at 28K miles. But from listening to things on here, the inevitable CEL, or code will pop up, leaving one guessing for fixes, without the VCDS, which really wouldn't be of use to me without serious hand holding. I'm a little skeptical on me personally getting massive milage out of this thing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your car is a 2015, it has 28K on the clock. this means your due for some service form age. Brake fluid, Trans fluid, and your coming up on a timing belt soon, you WILL need VCDS for the brake job if you want it done properly. buying this tool your going to save yourself a lot of $$$ when it comes to the timing belt and other jobs. You will need this VCDS tool if you are going to do any trouble shooting or work yourself. The ABS, Steering, Emissions, engine management, Timing belt job, glow plugs, and so on and so forth, this tool is NECESSARY to figure out whats going on with it. Not all things that go bad give a code that will tell you what you need, you have to analyze the data.
So, if you just need to scan for codes, just go to autozone or advanced, Orileys, etc..... they all have decent scanners (generic) that you can use for free, you let them keep your Drivers Licence while you use it, then you get it back when you hand over the tool. AKA you scan in the parking lot. You can use any reader to scan for codes. its just an OBD2 connection. Nothing special is needed here. Kobra is fantastic for the price, It will pull up the code and search the internet for the explanation on your smart phone.

Buy here on Amazon

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VCDS is a brand of Ross-Tech. Not a generic term. That dongle is not a VCDS. Just saying.

Why do you need VCDS for replacing brake rotors and pads?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have the older cable and am glad it's unlocked since I scan cars all the time. My dad (W386) just upgraded from a B4V to a 2012 Sportwagon, so now I get to learn about those.

I would not own a VW without it and it's the most valuable took in my arsenal.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VCDS is a brand of Ross-Tech. Not a generic term. That dongle is not a VCDS. Just saying.

I clearly I'd not state that it was. If you read the post's I suggested this generic reader for just scanning codes.

Every year or at most 2 you need to flush the brake fluid, you dont have to, but it's really good idea that you flush the ABS. You have to get into vcds to cycle the motor and valves on the ABS module. You do this far more often then pads and rotors lol.

pearing

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Your car is a 2015, it has 28K on the clock. this means your due for some service form age. Brake fluid, Trans fluid, and your coming up on a timing belt soon, you WILL need VCDS for the brake job if you want it done properly. buying this tool your going to save yourself a lot of $$$ when it comes to the timing belt and other jobs. You will need this VCDS tool if you are going to do any trouble shooting or work yourself. The ABS, Steering, Emissions, engine management, Timing belt job, glow plugs, and so on and so forth, this tool is NECESSARY to figure out whats going on with it. Not all things that go bad give a code that will tell you what you need, you have to analyze the data.
So, if you just need to scan for codes, just go to autozone or advanced, Orileys, etc..... they all have decent scanners (generic) that you can use for free, you let them keep your Drivers Licence while you use it, then you get it back when you hand over the tool. AKA you scan in the parking lot. You can use any reader to scan for codes. its just an OBD2 connection. Nothing special is needed here. Kobra is fantastic for the price, It will pull up the code and search the internet for the explanation on your smart phone.

Buy here on Amazon

O Reilieys and others DO NOT have scanners that work on newer VW's... I cannot get my car scanned for free in town. This is why I started this thread. I agree that just getting the code is simply the beginning-how does one translate it? Sounds as if the VCDS software does that for you. My question is, do some of the other options work on VW's for less money? I saw 500, but I still think that $200 is a lot as well...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I'm not certain if this applies to any TDIs but many new VWs have an electric parking brake. I have been told that on these cars VCDS (or similar tool) IS required to release/reset the parking brake for the rear brake service.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
O Reilieys and others DO NOT have scanners that work on newer VW's... I cannot get my car scanned for free in town. This is why I started this thread. I agree that just getting the code is simply the beginning-how does one translate it? Sounds as if the VCDS software does that for you. My question is, do some of the other options work on VW's for less money? I saw 500, but I still think that $200 is a lot as well...

If all you want to do is to scan and clear engine and emissions system fault codes (standard ODBII stuff) there are scanners available that will work. Here is one example: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-by-foxwell-parts/obdii-and-eobd-code-reader/019599sch01a~scf/

It won't do much of what a VW specific scanner will do, but you get what you pay for (if you are lucky).

Have Fun!

Don