New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
More cleaning!
I post these pics, both to show people how bad it can get, and to show how it can be improved!

Remember that drivers side roof/sunvisor?

Today, it was dry so I could see again...

Better, but not quite there...
Hit it again...

This is the drivers side B Pillar trim....
It was BLACK... I've hit it maybe 5x now...

Looks ok right?

Hit it again, with the foam..

Wiped it down with a damp, new Microfiber Towel...

Close.

Noticed this door seal is toast...

The drivers seat belt webbing felt kinda stiff while I was moving it for that Pillar clean...
Hit it with foam, both sides...
Twice...

The cloth was disgusting...

Will see how it feels tomorrow.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
The triumph for the day was digging around under the passenger front seat and seeing something...
Wiggled it out, and.... :D:D

Glovebox latch broken piece and lock!!!!
WIN!

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Pulled the connector to the shifter, and yes that did disconnect the maglock... But the dash also lost its mind and was very unhappy that it no longer could detect the selector position, flashing a wrench indicator on the multifunction dash. So that didn't work the way I wanted it to. :(

Still working on options for that I guess.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Weird that mine didnt do that.

Try turning off ignition, reconnecting the plug to shifter and then turning back on?

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
I did, and everything went back to normal, after the engine was started. Looks like there is a computer circuit in there somewhere, at least validating which position the shifter is in to show on the multifunction dash.

I'll have to see if I can figure out which of the 10 pins in that connector is the power for the maglock and see about just unplugging that one. Once I find a wiring diagram anyway.

fahizah

TDI
1996 Passat wagon, 2005 Jetta wagon
I got a great deal on 2012 sportwagen tdi with about 60kmiles but so sadly got in an accident with it a few weeks ago that really messed up most of the passenger side and tweaked the rear suspension to not being worth putting work into. I'm hoping I can find a similar model that has a blown engine i can swap my low mileage motor into...

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a great deal on 2012 sportwagen tdi with about 60kmiles but so sadly got in an accident with it a few weeks ago that really messed up most of the passenger side and tweaked the rear suspension to not being worth putting work into. I'm hoping I can find a similar model that has a blown engine i can swap my low mileage motor into...
I can give you the name of a dealer that had a stack of them (where I got mine) if you are willing to drive a bit. Mine was 2014, excellent condition, 160k miles and 6k out the door. The mileage doesn't bother me in the slightest b/c the maintenance records were great and the interior was almost pristine.

Since you are obviously keeping your 2012 to pull the motor from - Can I buy the rear console air vents from you? One of mine is broken, that is the only interior piece that isn't intact. Also - what does your center armrest console look like? In the 2014 they have this weird media phone connector thing and a useless cubby that you can't get your hand all the way to the bottom. Not a fan, wondering what other years had there.

These guys: USA Auto Network 2 just outside of Knoxville - 7013 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville, TN 37921, https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...892c88ce211d6c!8m2!3d36.0138566!4d-84.0346243

Last edited:

cheatingJSW

TDI
'14 Jetta JSW TDI, '11 BMW 335d
OC? Don't you need a Prius? Lol
Is diesel still $4.00/gallon?? JK just busting you. Used to live in OC and visit phoenix as well.

How are you guys feeling about buying these buy back cars?
I've got the hot start issue with the '14 JSW I bought with 105k miles. I paid $8400.

I haven't done nearly the same amount of maintenance as you but plan on doing the TC and straight piping it soon as well (nope don't miss CA)

Besides oil/filter/fuel filter is there anything else you guys are doing when picking these cars up??

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yes, we have all done DSG services, too.

They are due for brake fluid service, as well (it's 3 years, then every 2).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I always reset the maintenance to ground zero whenever I buy a used car, but in this case it's even more important because some owners neglected their cars on the way back to the buyback appointment (oil changes, DSG service, filters, etc.).

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
OC? Don't you need a Prius? Lol
Is diesel still $4.00/gallon?? JK just busting you. Used to live in OC and visit phoenix as well.
How are you guys feeling about buying these buy back cars?
I've got the hot start issue with the '14 JSW I bought with 105k miles. I paid $8400.
I haven't done nearly the same amount of maintenance as you but plan on doing the TC and straight piping it soon as well (nope don't miss CA)
Besides oil/filter/fuel filter is there anything else you guys are doing when picking these cars up??
Well, any used car is always a crapshoot, but I look at this two ways: You have to look for any evidence you can - both the car itself (and look for places that a detailer just can't / won't go, like visible crevices in the engine bay and under the body) and any records like Carfax that you can get. I let the car talk to me and tell me about itself. Do all the panels look straight and lined up? Are all the gaps matching? Was there anything in the records that shows a concern? How does it drive?

All basic used car evaluation stuff.

Then there is the special case: These are all from VW. Anything that showed issues, I don't think VW put them back out for sale, they have hundreds of thousands of these to sort through - only good ones will be put back out. Will VW do any maintenance? I honestly don't know, but I don't think so. BUT VW is also standing behind them (if you trust them) with the warranty. I don't know that I do, I've had issues with warranties in the past and frankly don't think they are worth the paper they are printed on. Witness the reports that VW insists on bull**** "fuel quality testing" on any fuel pump issue, and will deny the warranty over nothing at all.

So for me, I looked at it like any other used purchase first, and then with the added bonus (if any) that VW added to the pile. I DO think that VW was trying to sweeten the pot as every one that I looked at had extra TDI rubber floor mats and the cargo liner and velcro-block-system in the back. So maybe they were trying to throw some goodies at the buyers too? I don't put a lot of stock in the warranty, but the extra components that "fell off" have been saved just in case I need to test that warranty someday. I drive enough that it probably will be used up in about 18 months anyway.

I've changed the oil and the DSG fluid, and I'm thinking about the timing belt only if I can't get some information from VW (waiting for the title for that just in case they want it) b/c I want to see if my local dealership will cough up the maintenance records for this car from VW's computer. If not... Then I will be doing the timing belt soon too.

fahizah

TDI
1996 Passat wagon, 2005 Jetta wagon
I got mine from Knoxville... It's basically a brand new car. Everything on the interior is pristine as well. And yes it probably has that same media cord that is insanely short. I wish the inside of that armrest was bigger, can barely fit your paws in there! I was hoping to find a vehicle that had a blown motor for 2-4k cos I've heard a few people say that it's a possibility. Hoping for a miracle!

I can give you the name of a
dealer that had a stack of them (where I got mine) if you are willing to drive a bit. Mine was 2014, excellent condition, 160k miles and 6k out the door. The mileage doesn't bother me in the slightest b/c the maintenance records were great and the interior was almost pristine.

Since you are obviously keeping your 2012 to pull the motor from - Can I buy the rear console air vents from you? One of mine is broken, that is the only interior piece that isn't intact. Also - what does your center armrest console look like? In the 2014 they have this weird media phone connector thing and a useless cubby that you can't get your hand all the way to the bottom. Not a fan, wondering what other years had there.

These guys: USA Auto Network 2 just outside of Knoxville - 7013 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville, TN 37921, https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...892c88ce211d6c!8m2!3d36.0138566!4d-84.0346243

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Mine talked to me, and I heard it say "SAVE ME"!

Officially, I will have about $2500 in it, when its all clean, repaired and serviced... and maybe 25 hours of labor.
Does this make sense to everyone now? :)

I factored the service history, or lack of... the supposed CEL, No Smog, No Registration, and back fees and fines, and the upcoming service requirements of engine and trans. Tires were ok, but junk brands, and rotors that are past their best.

Then minused more $ for the general scruffiness, of the interior, worn seat, steering wheel, and shifter, dings and dents, rear bumper needing repainting.
I even factored in, in my mind, the cost of a used motor, if this one proved bad, and foud one on Ebay with 70k for $1000.
That's where I was when the PO indicated they wanted it gone....

For reference...

There is a 2013 JSW TDI with 145k miles, for sale on CL locally for $7800...
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/d/newport-beach-2013-vw-jetta-sportswagen/6790101735.html

Or this, which is close...
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/d/costa-mesa-2011-vw-volkswagen-jetta/6775091102.html

In my mind, I cant justify that kind of $ for something I will throw engines, and dirty slobbery dogs in the back of!

Add on State Taxes and registration, and It'd be $9/10k.
Feeling good about my ride, despite the dirt issues.;)

This feels satisfying too!

Glovebox lock removed from broken latch, and installed!

Rained all day solidly yesterday, so all I got to do, is lay on my back scrubbing the roof, and pillar trims!
Car was all steamed up after a bit... bet the neighbors were wondering what I was doing in there! ;):):D
I'm onto my #6 can of Foaming Interior cleaner!

Front of roof, i'm calling good...

But now I have a "Dirt Line"!

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
This is the rear half before...

Looks like the dog got at the rear pasenger side grab handle!

Found the Heated Rear Glass is not working... Gotta investigate that!

I think I will get the wheels balanced today... there is a little vibration at about 75 that feels like a balance issue... I sense it, rather than feel it thru the steering, so could be the rears.
The "LionHeart" front tires are about half worn, and the "Lexani" rear tires look new... plan to run them until they die....:rolleyes:

Took the CD changer apart, and extracted the single CD...
It was a Religious Bible Study CD.... and the label was bubbled.
I'm hoping that was why it was not working.
Put it straight thru the Shredder!

Unit without CD changer in looks empty!

Anyone have any knowledge on diagnosing/fixing these?

I have to get these tiny springs back on the changed plates first and my eyesight was not up to it yesterday!

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
For what it sounds like you spent on it - I think you got a good bargain. Even if you had wanted to replace the entire interior with one from a boneyard, that would still have been a decent value for the starting price.

I use my car as a mobile office and road trip tool box / hotel, so longevity and comfort are keys for me. I like my 2003 wagon, but this one is just more comfortable and shows the difference that 11 years can make in design and performance. I'm finally going to do a mileage run this Thursday, nearly 600 miles all highway. If the calculation matches what the dash shows of the mileage... I will be a VERY happy monkey.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Wow Appears like you made a great buy, congratulations! Loved that you found the glove box door key lock.

Good deals will be more of the norm in the future, I am taking my time looking of a replacement for my 2013 golf. Like you I am not necessarily afraid of higher mileage cars but it has to be a manual.

Mine talked to me, and I heard it say "SAVE ME"!

Officially, I will have about $2500 in it, when its all clean, repaired and serviced... and maybe 25 hours of labor.
Does this make sense to everyone now? :)

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Today was one of those days...

I took the car to Walmart for a tire balance.
Thought that was wise, with the 1000 mile round trip to AZ fast approaching!

Checked in, and they said(Due to the rain), they were quiet, and $12 a wheel(Lifetime balance and rotation), and I would be out of there in 30 mins.
I literally had not walked 30' into the Auto section, looking at stuff, when the guy comes to find me...

"Hi Sir, where is the Locking lugnut key?"

I had that sinking feeling.... because you all know, at this point, I have been thru the car... spare wheel well, side pockets, glovebox, center console, and under the seats... No lug nut lock key thingy.

I hadn't noticed the locking nuts cos they were under the black plastic covers...

The guy was great... Told me that this was not the first time, and to go to the VW Dealer(VW OEM Locks), who could solve the problem.

Called the Dealer, who said they(Also) were not too busy, due to the rain... and to come on down and they would remove the locks, and fit stock bolts.

An hour later, I had no locking lugs bolts and was $40 lighter, but happy.

Jumped on the 5 freeway, heading home, cruising at 60, relaying the day to my GF via Bluetooth Telephony...

WACK... Super loud, almost terrifying bang, on the lower part of the windshield, and saw something bounce off, and fly over my head/roof.
I shouted "*** WAS THAT!... FAAAAAAACK!":eek:
My GF was freaked out... but I quickly calmed her, and myself.

Huge(2"-3") bullseye in the windshield, just above the trailing edge of the hood, just above the wiper......

My guess would be a stone, or a better guess would be a lugnut flicked up, or spat out off a tire, and hit me!
Whatever it was was, was hard...and heavy, and dense... left no trace... My experience is Rocks tend to leave a bit of dust, or disintegrate on impact...

By the time I got home, I was calm, but pissed off.:(
This is it...

An hour later, I went to look at it and the crack had radiated half up the windshield....

If it was a lug nut or bolt(Check the secondary impact, lower left of main), the IRONEY is not lost on me...:rolleyes:
And YES, I did check that I had 5 bolts present on my own car.... :p

My Deductible is $500...
The 2 quotes ive got so far are either side of $350...:(

Good news is that I'm ok, and it didn't hit the hood or bodywork..

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
let me check my paperwork, I just had this happen and I think the total was less than half that. Which way are you going to AZ? Down the 5 across the 8? or up and over?

yeah, my wife is saying $150 or $200 and that was for OEM.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The best shop that did our wagon would need you either going down then over eventually going into Yuma. Ours was especially craptastic since I'd just had the entire windshield wrapped in Air20 :(, which may have been what did it in (once the crack started it was across the entire half worse than yours within about two hours--probably holding the heat in making it worse).

Of course, when I was figuring out which shop to take it to I found out the OE windshields have a layer of heat rejection in them already so not even sure if the Air20 was doing anything :O

I don't know how often you make this CA - AZ trip, but if that crack stops growing I'd advise replacing it *after* the trip if at all possible. You don't want to have to do it twice and those desert highways are loaded with debris and rigs. I haven't ever cracked a windshield in my entire life and after living in the desert for 5 years I've already had to replace my beetle and my wagon. You might have to pop it in a few places to stop the crack...ours kept growing every time we looked at it. We were lucky to get it home, to be honest. The shop came and picked it up.

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Yes, I’m aware of the freeway debris, and in fact my gut was to get this replaced after our run.
Living in CA the heat rejection is important. Does anyone know if it’s only OEM VW glass that has that?
I’m up for saving some $ if it makes sense.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The aftermarket options did not claim to have that.

Mine did not come from the dealership, that was either $500 or $850 can't remember which but it was right out. I'll check on the manufacturer on my windshield in the morning. I can take a picture of my beetle so you can see what the Air80 (I kept calling it Air20, had the numbers reversed) looks like. Then I can take a pic of my wagon so you can see what the Air80 looks like all around except for the windshield so you can determine if you want to risk it.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
On full coverage insurance, Cali doesn't require zero-deductible on glass-only claims?

You might want to check on that, the insurance will DEFINITELY not volunteer that information! They also WILL charge it against your rates as if it was a full claim unless you can force them to a glass-only according to the law.

Insurance companies suck.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm interested in the new windshield experience you have. I'd like to replace the very pitted windshield in my 2010 Golf TDI with ~170K miles, but I worry about the installation and things like leaks and wind noise after the replacement. I asked at the dealer and they said it would be $500 for OEM glass. I was thinking maybe I'd wait until I'm done commuting in a couple of years, but I'm a little worried that OEM glass may not be available if I wait too long.

Please let me know how the windshield replacement goes for you.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I had my windshield replaced by a local glass place for $225 a couple of years ago. It was aftermarket glass, but seemed to be the same quality as oe. They sent a van out and replaced it right in my driveway.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^The aftermarket is less expensive, but I've read anecdotal remarks about flaws in the glass and even the dot matrix was off for some reason. One guy said he ended up doing it twice, just to get rid of the aftermarket in favor of OEM. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones, or maybe the comments are a bunch of nonsense.

I'm actually more worried about a bad installation than about the quality of the glass.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
California, there is no special laws relating to glass replacement.
Deductible applies.

Pouring down here, so not been out to look at the screen this morning... I am putting money on a further growth.

Ok, onto another subject...
The battery in the car looks ok... I mean its not original/old. Date code on it is 11/16, so its just over 2 years old.

When I did the service, I noticed the battery was reading 12.67v, which is lower that optimum, but assumed that maybe it was weaker or maybe it needed a good run to fully charge.
A couple of times Ive sensed it felt a little sluggish to start, but as i'm new tho this car, and engine, I wondered if it was me.

I bought one of those little 12v Voltmeters to go in the 12v socket, that also has 2x USB ports.
Plugged it in yesterday morning and key on it was reading 11v... Its mid 50s here, so I assume the glowplugs were working, but still, that is low.
On starting, the meter showed a healthy 14v, peaked at 14.2v when I revved, so I guess the alternator is good.

AAA site says 36m warranty, but I dont know if that transfers to a new owner.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Not directly commenting on your battery or test results, but in general European charging systems don't tend to charge in the same way US systems do. You'll need a charger to give it what it needs, a really good run won't charge the battery up like it would in a US car. In terms of your battery's health, however, you'll need to place it under load and check the amperage to determine if it's faulty.